Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Sports Challenge changes  (Read 2503 times)

PeterMarshallFan

Sports Challenge changes
« on: September 22, 2003, 05:06:10 PM »
Just FYI for those who tape the show and may have missed today's, it appears ESPN Classic jumped to one of the last two seasons. The set is larger and darker, the theme is the disco one [not \"Get Back\"] and there are a few other minor changes.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

GS Warehouse

Sports Challenge changes
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 05:24:46 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 04:06 PM\'] ... ESPN Classic ... [/quote]
 At least I finally get to see it!  My cable provider just added it this weekend.

tommycharles

Sports Challenge changes
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 10:40:44 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 04:06 PM\'] The set is larger and darker, the theme is the disco one [not "Get Back"] and there are a few other minor changes.

[/quote]
 Get Back?? I haven't seen the show, but are you talking about the Beatles tune?

Matt Ottinger

Sports Challenge changes
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 10:55:21 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 10:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 04:06 PM\'] The set is larger and darker, the theme is the disco one [not "Get Back"] and there are a few other minor changes.

[/quote]
Get Back?? I haven't seen the show, but are you talking about the Beatles tune? [/quote]
 Yes, he is.  Just not performed by them.

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/records/i...dex.html#SPORTS
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tommycharles

Sports Challenge changes
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 11:04:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 09:55 PM\'] [quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 10:40 PM\'] [quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 04:06 PM\'] The set is larger and darker, the theme is the disco one [not "Get Back"] and there are a few other minor changes.

[/quote]
Get Back?? I haven't seen the show, but are you talking about the Beatles tune? [/quote]
Yes, he is.  Just not performed by them.

http://userdata.acd.net/ottinger/records/i...dex.html#SPORTS [/quote]
 Ahh. Thanks. Thinking about it, that might actually work well - did it?

ChuckNet

Sports Challenge changes
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 11:39:57 PM »
Ahh. Thanks. Thinking about it, that might actually work well - did it?

If you never thought it possible to turn a Beatles ditty into a marching-band tune complete w/a funky sound perfect for an early '70s GS, Patrick Williams' take on \"Get Back\" will dispel that notion...one of my all-time faves, actually.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

MikeK

• Martha!
Sports Challenge changes
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 11:53:39 PM »
[quote name=\'PeterMarshallFan\' date=\'Sep 22 2003, 05:06 PM\'] Just FYI for those who tape the show and may have missed today's, it appears ESPN Classic jumped to one of the last two seasons. The set is larger and darker, the theme is the disco one [not "Get Back"] and there are a few other minor changes.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming. [/quote]
 The disco theme was used only in the 1977-78 season.  The last season used \"Get Back\".

Tomorrow's episode, Denver Broncos v. 1968 UCLA men's basketball Bruins, is one that hasn't aired since ESPN Classic readded SC to its schedule in May.  I might have to start taping SC once again...

PeterMarshallFan

Sports Challenge changes
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 06:13:16 PM »
Well, they've jumped back to what, by my estimates, is either the 1974-75 or 75-76 season. If anyone saw the end of today's ep [I only saw the beginning] which season was it?