Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: No good vibes for Aussie Feud  (Read 2230 times)

DrBear

No good vibes for Aussie Feud
« on: September 10, 2007, 07:12:46 AM »
The Australian Family Feud's host, Bert Newton, is under fire from "family groups" after making vibrator jokes on the show. They were inspired after a contestant answered "Name a gift that's hard to return" with "vibrator."

As they said on Fark, "Richard Dawson not available for comment."
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2007, 03:46:16 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'163197\' date=\'Sep 10 2007, 06:12 AM\']
The Australian Family Feud's host, Bert Newton, is under fire from "family groups" after making vibrator jokes on the show. They were inspired after a contestant answered "Name a gift that's hard to return" with "vibrator."

[/quote]

Since news.com.au is Murdoch's Aussie papers, it's not at all surprising that the faux outrage would be in play here.

Gotta love it.  The show's being cancelled, Bert's probably nearing retirement, his place in Australian television history is firm and the remarks are nothing more than naughty--why not?

pownster

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 10:42:26 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'163517\' date=\'Sep 12 2007, 02:46 PM\']
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'163197\' date=\'Sep 10 2007, 06:12 AM\']

[/quote]

Since news.com.au is Murdoch's Aussie papers, it's not at all surprising that the faux outrage would be in play here.

Gotta love it.  The show's being cancelled, Bert's probably nearing retirement, his place in Australian television history is firm and the remarks are nothing more than naughty--why not?
[/quote]

I cannot believe that it took the SECOND airing of the particular episode for the issue to make it into the tabloid media. The "vibrator" episode originally aired last year (in a similar timeslot), and went through without scrutiny or incident. Why it has suddenly been brought up now is beyond me. Bert has been churning out similar calibre of material over his entire 50 year career on TV, so it should come as no shock to anyone (and people still like him).
Chris Powney

Australian Game Show Home Page

http://members.iinet.net.au/~powney/gameshow/homepage.htm

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:42:13 PM »
Not having RTFA inititally, I couldn't figure out why they'd be getting all pissy over something that happened over a year ago.   Obviously just being stirred up by someone who loves to find things to bitch about, on what's probably an otherwise slow day to be bitching about things.