Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canada: Paquet Voleur to be a "huge hit"  (Read 6297 times)

Blaq

Canada: Paquet Voleur to be a "huge hit"
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:23:09 PM »
To those who hate Deal or No Deal's brain-dead philosophy, Radio-Canada brings an offshoot with smarts: Paquet Voleur (Trade Up).
  • Watch the Web video report!
Premiering this Friday Sep 21 at 8:00 PM, the hour-long show features a gorgeous 360-degree set and gameplay that had one TV columnist "on the edge of my seat the whole time".

The rules

The game starts with 8 players. At the end of each round, the bottom half goes home with the money they're holding; the top half moves on. The winner gets to play an end game worth up to $100,000 in cash. Even better, after 8 weeks, the 8 winners come back for a champions' episode where the top prize is ONE MILLION dollars. This is *huge* for Canada! And non-taxable, too.

Each round starts with the players picking a disc from the 30 in play. Each player gets to see the amount they're holding (so does the home audience) but nobody knows what the other players hold. Even the host, hot blonde superstar Véronique Cloutier, has no idea who holds what; this adds to the fun, as her interventions ("I think you're bluffing") are variously dead-on or out to lunch.

A question is asked; whoever enters the fastest correct answer on their touchscreen has the advantage of playing last. Each player, in turn, has 3 options:

1) Keep their disc;

2) Trade their disc for another from the board; (their discarded amount is revealed)

3) Attempt to "steal" another player's disc, who would be stuck with the thief's former amount.

Players must answer a question in order to trade against the board, to defend against a steal, or to complete a steal. There are additional rules, but that's the basics.

End game

The end round is a game of luck, but again, includes an element of knowledge. The winner picks 6 discs from a 30-disc board containing amounts up to $100,000. The 6 amounts in play are revealed without anyone knowing which disc they represent. A question is asked; if the player answers correctly, the lowest amount is taken out of play. A wrong answer causes the highest amount to be removed, a real heartbreaker. Clever! That one question holds high stakes.

The player then picks one disc out of 5, 3 others are progressively eliminated, then the player has to decide whether to keep their original pick or swap it for the lone remaining disc. (A useless decision, only good for creating bogus "shoulda or shouldna" after-the-fact drammma.) Finally, the prize is revealed.

If you answer the end game question right, you have a 4% chance of winning the $100,000 or million-dollar prize. A wrong answer removes the highest amount in your hand, which would be the top amount had it been picked.

Analysis

As you see, this is Le Banquier (our Deal or No Deal) turned into a real quiz show. Players must be lucky, but also knowledgeable, strategic, good bluffers, and intuitive. You must analyze, in real time, the decisions and demeanor of those who play before you, and keep track of who you think holds a high/medium/low amount, all weighed against the global money pool for that round, while yourself trying to bluff as credibly as possible when grilled by the host. It's no wonder the producers approached poker message boards to troll for contestants.

This show will appeal to both audiences: those who enjoy the flashy, high-stakes Deal or No Deal, and those who pooh-pooh that show because it requires no skill whatsoever, except overemoting. (The Québec version of DoND has been harshly criticized for its hypercaffeinated contestants and their histrionics.)

The show seems like a winner: great concept, great set, great host.

Reviews

Today, two TV columnists wrote full-length articles on Friday's premiere -- and they are ecstatic!

The headline in La Presse reads "Véro hits the jackpot". "Even better than the questions is the players' attitude. [...] A contestant going home with $15 laughed it off, saying 'it won't even cover the taxi ride'. They have great chemistry. The pace is brisk. And we laugh. [...] Véronique Cloutier holds what is undoubtedly one of this season's hits."

Le Soleil hits hard: "Le Banquier is sent to the locker room." "Paquet Voleur creates such suspense that viewers will be on the edge of their seat. Paquet Voleur seduced me as much as Le Banquier bores me to tears. Le Banquier spends an hour having contestants open briefcase after briefcase. Paquet Voleur puts them through their paces, challenging their general knowledge, but also their talent for bluffing. And no wasting time with superhero costumes or hysterical contestants, desperate for exposure." Ouch! "Paquet Voleur features a gorgeous, US-style set and its contestants are funny and just expressive enough to avoid getting on our nerves. The dramatic music is effective, our hearts race, and we're never bored."

(Tapings typically last two hours; the show is heavily edited down to an hour to keep the punchiest exchanges between sly, rival players.)

Fellow players!

Our friend Ryan has already auditioned; I declare him a shoo-in! With his charisma, energy and high mastery of French, he's guaranteed to grace our screens this season. I'm slated for my own audition later this fall, and can't shake a very positive feeling about this one -- I think I'll get picked too!

Check out the video for tantalizing glimpses of the show, and for those who receive Radio-Canada, set your dual-tuner PVRs for Fridays at 8:00, right against 1 vs. 100.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 10:03:20 AM by Blaq »

vtown7

« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2007, 08:24:25 AM »
Thank you for the compliments, Charles :)

I really found the audition interesting.  Basically after sending in a video and a small application on a Monday I got called on the Thursday and found myself at Radio-Canada in Montreal two weeks later.  It was a group audition (three of us).  After talking about ourselves we had to present two truths and a lie and be questioned.  Although I was "caught" on my lie I really had a great time and felt it went much better than my audition for "Le Cercle" back in January.  

It's my second language so for years I was scared to audition for any show so I'm pleased that I've been able to get two different auditions in this year.  My fingers are crossed that I get the call (and not try to think about it too much!)

I'll keep you all posted.  Whatever happens, it's been a fun go so far!

Ryan.

uncamark

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 12:11:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' post=\'164225\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 08:23 PM\']
(The Québec version of DoND has been harshly criticized for its hypercaffeinated contestants and their histrionics.)[/quote]

Just trying to be faithful to the U.S. original.  :)

Can I assume that "Paquet" is an original creation and not a import of a foreign format?  If the show clicks--and it does sound interesting--one would hope that they could try to sell the format overseas (or closer to home, to English Canadian television).

vtown7

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 07:30:06 AM »
Mark,

Yes it is an original format by host Véronique Cloutier's production team, Bubbles Television.

And as a side note, the Québecoise version of "The Moment of Truth/The Big Moment" debuts tonight.

R.

Blaq

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 10:27:48 PM »
Here's another view, this time from The Montreal Gazette. The author has obviously been watching, and paying close attention. He really "gets it": the bluffing, the lying, the advanced strategy of purposely answering wrong to throw opponents off your scent.

How to win $1 million and lie like a rug while doing it

By the way, I do hope to put an episode on BitTorrent one of these days, once I get SA8300HD Firewire extraction up & running...

Blaq

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:20:10 AM »
La Presse reports this morning some much-needed changes to Paquet Voleur [Trade Up].

Paquet Voleur may have a lot of risk and chance, but sometimes fate plays too large a role.

A prime example is when players who survive end up leaving with less money than some of their opponents who performed poorly. Player A can be ejected from round 1 with $125, while player B survives until round 3 and go home with $5. There's an ingrained unfairness about that. The issue came to a head the other week when Pierre, a powerhouse who correctly answered every question thrown his way in the main game, wound up "winning" the game with a measly $10! (His maximum possible amount that night would've been a meager $1,250.)

One solution would obviously be to award all players the money they accumulate from round to round. (While still scoring each round individually.) By definition, players who survive a round grabbed bigger cash than those who get eliminated, so if a survivor gets $1 on the next round, they are still guaranteed to leave with more money than their fallen comrades. But that would amplify the prize budget way beyond what the producers can live with.

Another solution is to increase the minimum amount on the board with every round. Longer-surviving players could still leave with less than poorer performers, but there would be some kind of safety net.

What the producers decided, was not to address the problem in the main game, but new episodes of the show will have a minimum amount of $1,000 on the bonus-game board, up from $1. The winner will be guaranteed a thousand dollars for winning the game.

The meaningless final "decision" (to keep the unrevealed last chip or trade it in for the other unseen chip held by the host) will also be dropped, tightening the end-game.

These changes come at the perfect time for good old Blaq, who's auditioning at the end of the month! Stay tuned.

vtown7

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 12:10:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' post=\'168958\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 08:20 AM\']

These changes come at the perfect time for good old Blaq, who's auditioning at the end of the month! Stay tuned.
[/quote]

And for Ryan who is waiting for a call :)

I'm with Charles - I would put something up on Youtube but I haven't the foggiest idea how to do it.  While I think it's already been discussed, is there someway to convert from DVD to youtube, and how would I go about it?

Thanks!

Ryan :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'168979\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 12:10 PM\']I'm with Charles - I would put something up on Youtube but I haven't the foggiest idea how to do it.  While I think it's already been discussed, is there someway to convert from DVD to youtube, and how would I go about it?[/quote]
Download a DVD ripper, which will convert the DVD video to an editable format like AVI.  From there, you can edit out commercials and other parts with a movie editor like Windows Movie Maker.  Make the final product a WMV and then upload it to YouTube.

Or just give a copy to your buddy Mike and he'll be glad to convert it for you again. :-)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 12:39:50 PM by MikeK »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 12:45:15 PM »
That sounds complicated.  Is that why everybody just points a video camera at the TV?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2007, 02:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'168986\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 09:45 AM\']
That sounds complicated.  Is that why everybody just points a video camera at the TV?
[/quote]
It's _not_ complicated, and is in fact easier than:

1) Point video camera at TV
2) Take crappy video in real-time
3) If you're lucky enough to have an advanced camera, plug camera into PC and transfer video digitally. Otherwise, plug video camera into PC video capture board and ingest video into PC in time-consuming process
4) Edit video
5) Post completed video

"Rip video using simple app" combines Steps 1 through 3 into one step that a boatload of free apps have made pretty much idiotproofed.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2007, 02:40:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'168986\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 12:45 PM\']That sounds complicated.  Is that why everybody just points a video camera at the TV?[/quote]
And incur the humiliation that comes with videotaping a TV?  Maybe that person should add some annoying bumpers while they're at it.  Ooh, could that person also walk in front of the videocamera, so it feels like you're at a movie theater? :-)

Having a TV tuner card and a fast PC makes it easier, as you'd click a button to record the input, click another to stop recording, and then input the file into a video editor.  Having a good TV tuner card also means you should get 640x480 resolution, which should have good results when burned to DVD.

/Love my current USB HD tuner stick
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:00:17 PM by MikeK »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2007, 02:52:45 PM »
See, I was thinking if you called it "Jimmy's Birthday Party" and the TV just happened to be showing "Paquet Voleur" at the same time it might stay on YouTube longer. :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2007, 02:53:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'168986\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 12:45 PM\']That sounds complicated.  Is that why everybody just points a video camera at the TV?[/quote]
It's not as complicated as it is time consuming.  It may just be my computer but by experiences with WMM have shown that it's slower than molasses in January.
This signature is currently under construction.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2007, 03:05:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'169009\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 02:53 PM\']
It's not as complicated as it is time consuming.  It may just be my computer but by experiences with WMM have shown that it's slower than molasses in January.
[/quote]
It's likely your computer.  On my old PC (512 MB RAM, 1.9 GHz P4), it took between 3 and 4 hours to render a 22 minute show in 320x240 resolution with either Windows Movie Maker or Nero 7.  (For some asinine reason, my TV card bought a year ago wouldn't give me recorded resolution above 320x240.)  On my current PC (3 GB RAM, 3.6 GHz of processing power), I have rendered a 22 minute, 640x480 video with Nero 7 in under 20 minutes.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:11:10 PM by MikeK »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2007, 04:16:25 PM »
It's likely not. WMM blows dog performance-wise, even on good machines.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe