Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Primetime the way to syndication?  (Read 1393 times)

NickS

Primetime the way to syndication?
« on: September 18, 2007, 09:23:12 PM »
Ok... so you have two new syndicated shows that are faring OK at best -- and neither of them had a shot from primetime.

However, Deal's pitched for 2008 and Millionaire is a decent success and both came from the land of primetime.  The switch that you have now from, say, 25 years ago is that you don't have networks giving games the day of light like they used to.  Therefore, your workaround at the moment until (and a big, mighty "if") shows go back to network daytime is through the primetime circuit.

I would bet that if PoX, 5th Grader and Singing Bee keep on doing the same or better than what Deal is doing now you might see them launched in syndication.  I really think how Deal fares will be the benchmark of whether or not you see more game shows pitched for '09.

Just my .02, but I'm optimistic that it could happen.

uncamark

Primetime the way to syndication?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 12:30:48 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'164226\' date=\'Sep 18 2007, 08:23 PM\']
Ok... so you have two new syndicated shows that are faring OK at best -- and neither of them had a shot from primetime.

However, Deal's pitched for 2008 and Millionaire is a decent success and both came from the land of primetime.  The switch that you have now from, say, 25 years ago is that you don't have networks giving games the day of light like they used to.  Therefore, your workaround at the moment until (and a big, mighty "if") shows go back to network daytime is through the primetime circuit.

I would bet that if PoX, 5th Grader and Singing Bee keep on doing the same or better than what Deal is doing now you might see them launched in syndication.  I really think how Deal fares will be the benchmark of whether or not you see more game shows pitched for '09.[/quote]

It's very likely, especially since the network(s) owns the back-end syndication rights on the latter two shows (CBS may try to dissuade Sony from stripping "PO10," unless they give CBS Distribution a cut).  In fact, I would wonder if the retooling of "Bee" with returning champions might be a way of testing the waters for possible strip syndication (with the problem that "Name That Tune" had that you're going to be recycling suitable music material faster with strip syndication than as a once-a-week series, although that could be solved partially by simply picking another point in the song to finish the lyric).  NBC U could be looking for a stablemate to "DOND" if that clicks.  If "Temptation" pulls the comeback of the year, 20th could be looking for a stablemate for that show and "...5th Grader?" or "Lyrics" could fill that need.