Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: H2 question  (Read 5795 times)

ChuckNet

H2 question
« on: September 23, 2003, 08:00:06 PM »
Is Martin Mull the new permanent center square? Seems that way, IMO.

And if so, I can't think of a better candidate...he really knows how to provide both witty joke answers AND credible bluffs.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")

zachhoran

H2 question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 08:05:56 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 07:00 PM\'] Is Martin Mull the new permanent center square? Seems that way, IMO.

And if so, I can't think of a better candidate...he really knows how to provide both witty joke answers AND credible bluffs.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby") [/quote]
 Seems to be the case, they've decided not to rotate center squares as they did last season. Ellen's busy with her talk show I guess.
What I'm wondering is if they might be able to coax Whoopi to come back for a week to promote her new sitcom, given that Bruce V. is soon to appear again.

Don Howard

H2 question
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 08:34:43 PM »
What I'm wondering is if they might be able to coax Whoopi to come back for a week

Oh, God, no!! What are you thinking, man? Dear Lord, please forgive Zach for what he just said. He sometimes knows not what he does. Praise God, Amen!

zachhoran

H2 question
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2003, 08:53:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' date=\'Sep 23 2003, 07:34 PM\']
What I'm wondering is if they might be able to coax Whoopi to come back for a week

Oh, God, no!! What are you thinking, man? Dear Lord, please forgive Zach for what he just said. He sometimes knows not what he does. Praise God, Amen! [/quote]
 I'm not saying they should or shouldn't bring her back, and the odds are she probably wouldn't want to, but it was just a thought.

MCArroyo1

H2 question
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 08:21:04 AM »
Is Martin Mull the new permanent center square?
Seems to be the case.  The fast-talker introuces him as \"Our center square\" as opposed to \"This week's center square.\"

I think it would be terrific if he was in the center permanently.  But I'm not sure if he himself could make the ratings improve.

Ian Wallis

H2 question
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2003, 08:54:46 AM »
Seems to be the case, they've decided not to rotate center squares as they did last season.

One thing I liked about earlier years of this version, and during the Davidson' verson is that celebrities rotated squares after each episode.  It gets kind of the same to see the same celebrities in the same squares each day - especially when some squares don't get called on as much as others.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

bricon

H2 question
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2003, 10:47:21 AM »
Is Martin Mull the new permanent center square? Seems that way, IMO.

There will be other center squares during the season, for example,
Susan Lucci, for \"Daytime TV Week\".

pyrfan

H2 question
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2003, 02:29:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 07:54 AM\']One thing I liked about earlier years of this version, and during the Davidson' verson is that celebrities rotated squares after each episode.  It gets kind of the same to see the same celebrities in the same squares each day - especially when some squares don't get called on as much as others.[/quote]
I also can't help noticing that after a game is finished, often the contestants will choose the exact same patterns and celebrities as in the previous games. Since all the celebs are getting coached on bluffs and should be equally prepared, aren't all corner squares and all \"inside\" squares just about equal? Maybe they should have someone on the staff mention during commercials, \"Hey, so-and-so hasn't been called on yet.\" It would take away from some of the sameness of the episodes.

I also think that the pattern of the contestant always choosing the center square first gets less tiresome when there are different center celebs every week or, in the cases of Davidson HS and MG/HS, every day. As much as I love Paul Lynde's humor, I don't think the show would have worked as well had he been chosen first all the time.

I have to wonder if someone on the Marshall HS staff was encouraging contestants to start in places other than the center square. Notice how rarely a game from that era starts with a center pick. Often they went to the corner squares, which then meant more of the inside squares got chosen, allowing for even more variety.

Brendan

TraderRob

H2 question
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2003, 02:53:46 PM »
From a strategic point of view, you should *always* pick a corner first rather than starting in the center.   If your opponent should not choose the center square, no matter where s/he chooses, you can choose a square that, within a few more moves, will allow you two ways of winning.    Of course, this *is* Hollywood Squares and not regular tic-tac-toe, but assuming everyone gets all of his/her questions right, this strategy would work.

Rob
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 02:56:08 PM by TraderRob »

Matt Ottinger

H2 question
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2003, 03:08:02 PM »
Maybe they should have someone on the staff mention during commercials, \"Hey, so-and-so hasn't been called on yet.\" It would take away from some of the sameness of the episodes.
I doubt that a contestant on Hollywood Squares is going to adjust his or her strategy because of the concern that a celebrity's feelings will be hurt if the star isn't chosen.  As for the \"sameness\" of the episodes, heck, it's tic-tac-toe!  Exactly how \"wild and crazy\" do you expect it to be?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

tommycharles

H2 question
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2003, 03:18:25 PM »
[quote name=\'pyrfan\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 01:29 PM\'] I have to wonder if someone on the Marshall HS staff was encouraging contestants to start in places other than the center square. Notice how rarely a game from that era starts with a center pick. Often they went to the corner squares, which then meant more of the inside squares got chosen, allowing for even more variety.
 [/quote]
On the current version, the opposite happens. One of the staffers is there to encourage people not to start anywhere but the center.

I haven't been there myself, but when they had \"Entertainment Reporters Week\" one of the Colorado guys got to go (he played Friday, IIRC), and they showed some behind the scenes stuff on the 4pm newscast that day, and the \"encouragement\" was noted.

EDIT: Fanfare, confetti, bring on the dancing girls... 100 posts. Not that that's much of a milestone among some of the people here...has Lemon reached 1000 yet?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 03:29:11 PM by tommycharles »

bricon

H2 question
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2003, 04:11:23 PM »
On the current version, the opposite happens. One of the staffers is there to encourage people not to start anywhere but the center.

While contestants are told that it is a good strategic move to start in the center, they are also told that they are free to start anywhere they choose.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
H2 question
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2003, 04:20:08 PM »
[quote name=\'tommycharles\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 12:18 PM\'] On the current version, the opposite happens. One of the staffers is there to encourage people not to start anywhere but the center.

[/quote]
One wonders if this is the same pinhead who encourages WOF contestants-to-be to \"buy lots of vowels\".
EDIT: Fanfare, confetti, bring on the dancing girls... 100 posts. Not that that's much of a milestone among some of the people here...has Lemon reached 1000 yet?
Naw. I'm thinking sometime around Halloween. :)

EDIT: Ooh, no way. My profile says I average nine a day, so assuming that holds true, I'd hit four digits in just about two weeks.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2003, 04:22:26 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

SplitSecond

H2 question
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2003, 04:29:39 PM »
While contestants are told that it is a good strategic move to start in the center, they are also told that they are free to start anywhere they choose.

Even more to the point, they are also told that center square is a very aggressive move that can seriously backfire on them if they agree or disagree incorrectly.  This is more of a risk now with Martin Mull, who actually realizes that he can look just as smart by selling a bluff as Whoopi could by giving nothing but right answers.

pyrfan

H2 question
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2003, 05:09:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Sep 24 2003, 02:08 PM\']I doubt that a contestant on Hollywood Squares is going to adjust his or her strategy because of the concern that a celebrity's feelings will be hurt if the star isn't chosen.  As for the \"sameness\" of the episodes, heck, it's tic-tac-toe!  Exactly how \"wild and crazy\" do you expect it to be?[/quote]
Point well taken, Matt. However, if the strategy is to go to a corner square after your opponent correctly gets the center box, why keep going to the same corner square every single time? If all the celebs are briefed equally, shouldn't I have just as much luck choosing Jillian Barberie as I would choosing Al Roker (scary as that might seem)? Therefore, all things being equal, why not go to a corner square that hasn't been heard from yet?

Concerning the sameness, yeah, it's tic-tac-toe, but it's televised tic-tac-toe. If I feel like I'm watching the same celebs get asked questions all the time and never hearing from others -- who may be my favorites and may be the reason I tuned in that day -- I might not be inclined to watch further episodes.

Brendan