Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Favorite type of game show?  (Read 5695 times)

zachhoran

Favorite type of game show?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2003, 08:12:42 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 07:08 AM\']

I can't think of many games which wouldn't work without celebrities: Tattletales, All Star Secrets ... even so, the distinction is thin. [/quote]
 There was a proposal in ATGS a few years back for a Tattletales revival featuring non-celeb married couples(given the possible lack of celeb couples willing to appear on a game show in this day and age, and even the 80s run resorted to soap couples and mother and son weeks at one point)

Mike Tennant

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2003, 09:23:07 AM »
[quote name=\'zachhoran\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 07:12 AM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 07:08 AM\']

I can't think of many games which wouldn't work without celebrities: Tattletales, All Star Secrets ... even so, the distinction is thin. [/quote]
There was a proposal in ATGS a few years back for a Tattletales revival featuring non-celeb married couples(given the possible lack of celeb couples willing to appear on a game show in this day and age, and even the 80s run resorted to soap couples and mother and son weeks at one point)[/quote]
Let's see. . .Tattletales with non-celebrity couples. . .sounds like The Newlywed Game to me.

zachhoran

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2003, 09:28:11 AM »
[quote name=\'Mike Tennant\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 08:23 AM\']
There was a proposal in ATGS a few years back for a Tattletales revival featuring non-celeb married couples(given the possible lack of celeb couples willing to appear on a game show in this day and age, and even the 80s run resorted to soap couples and mother and son weeks at one point)[/QUOTE]
Let's see. . .Tattletales with non-celebrity couples. . .sounds like The Newlywed Game to me. [/quote]
 Or maybe Goen's Perfect Match, which was a Newlywed-like clone with married couples married any length of time.

SteveRep

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2003, 10:50:12 AM »
Very simple. Word games. It will take a Herculean effort to change my mind as to Pyramid being the best game ever. Period.

Chris' \"communication\" point is exactly the reason why. The best shows not only test what you know, but how you use it.

J.R.

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2003, 11:41:57 AM »
I really like the \"Buzzer Battle\" variation of the \"Q&A\". It's always fun to see normal people racing to beat the buzzer over someone else. Some of my favories are Jeopardy!, Monopoly, $otC.

Yeah, I like the word association games too. Mr. Lemon's own reasons are the same as mine

-Joe R.
-Joe Raygor

Jay Temple

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2003, 01:52:36 PM »
Q&A and word games are my two favorites, especially communication games.  (Sidebar:  Body Language/Show-Offs and WLD/Pictionary are more similar to Pyramid and Password than to other \"physical\" games.)  Physical games are my least favorite.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2003, 02:13:39 PM »
Count me in, too, for word games and Q&A as a very close one and two for reasons that won't add anything else to the table that hasn't already been discussed in one way or another.

Doug
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

DrBear

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2003, 03:45:36 PM »
Call me crazy You're crazy! but I like panel shows which have barely received a mention in this thread.

Other than that, any game with a good play-along factor (Password, Lingo, Jeopardy, Pyramid) will get my vote ahead of a game in which the viewer merely, well, views (Newlywed Game, Cram, and so on).
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

hines2000

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2003, 05:28:57 PM »
I usually watch the following types of Game Shows:

Q & A (Jeopardy!.. College Bowl)
Puzzle Solving Games (Wheel, (Classic) Concentration .....)
Word Games (Password, Pyramid....)

however, if the game catches my attention I'll usually watch it even if it is outside of these categories.

BrandonFG

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2003, 06:55:10 PM »
[quote name=\'hines2000\' date=\'Sep 25 2003, 04:28 PM\'] I usually watch the following types of Game Shows:

Q & A (Jeopardy!.. College Bowl)
Puzzle Solving Games (Wheel, (Classic) Concentration .....)
Word Games (Password, Pyramid....)

however, if the game catches my attention I'll usually watch it even if it is outside of these categories. [/quote]
 I'm definitely a big word game fan, and like to see a good variation of a word game, i.e. turning Hangman into Wheel.  The best use of word-association is either Pyramid or (Super) Password (Plus)

I'm also a big Q&A fan, as I love to challenge my mind. It's always fun watching Jeopardy with a friend and competing to get the answer...or question in first.  

Panel games bore me, esp. the ones in B&W. :-P
"I just wanna give a shoutout to my homies in their late-30s who are watching this on Paramount+ right now, cause they couldn't stay up late enough to watch it live!"

Now celebrating his 21st season on GSF!

MCArroyo1

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2003, 07:14:33 PM »
Panel games bore me, esp. the ones in B&W. :-P
Well, nobody's perfect : )

No, I'm kidding, but I do enjoy the panel shows.  Word games aren't bad, either.

l
 l
 l
 l
 V

ChuckNet

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2003, 09:54:56 PM »
Personally, I like Q&A games best, but also enjoy word games like Cross-Wits, WoF, Scrabble, Password, etc.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious \"Chuckie Baby\")