Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Any talk of an online channel for classic game shows?  (Read 1429 times)

JohnXXVII

Any talk of an online channel for classic game shows?
« on: October 22, 2007, 11:39:18 AM »
If reruns of classic game shows from the 50s-80s have any future, it's online. Has there been any talk from Fremantle or even GSN of setting up an online channel for these shows? On AOL Video there is the P&G Classic Soap channel, where they currently have over 600 episodes and counting of soaps from the early 80s available for immediate and free viewing. Episodes are complete, with excellent picture quality. Why couldn't something like this be set up for old game shows?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007, 11:43:14 AM by JohnXXVII »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 11:48:17 AM »
There are lots of soap fans.

There are very few game-show fans.

My guess: AOL has more bandwidth than God, and the answer to the equation (ad revenue from the ads you see on the page while you're watching the show) - (cost to provide them) turns out to be a positive number.

I will guess that the same would not be true of GSN. If there is ever a time when it IS true, you can bet your ass that they'll fire one up.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 11:58:15 AM »
TV4u has a modest collection of 50's and 60's shows, not to mention the odd 80's show ["Super Pay Cards"???].
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 12:15:37 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'167583\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 11:58 AM\'] TV4u has a modest collection of 50's and 60's shows, not to mention the odd 80's show ["Super Pay Cards"???]. [/quote]

That site looks like it was put together by someone who just took whatever old stuff they had on tape, sprinkled in a couple of newer things, add some ads, and presto.  I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet a couple of dimes that unless they find an episode of Scrabble in their closet or something, you're not gonna see much out of them.  Do they even have the *rights* to stream the stuff they're currently streaming?

uncamark

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 12:15:57 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'167580\' date=\'Oct 22 2007, 10:48 AM\']
There are lots of soap fans.

There are very few game-show fans.

My guess: AOL has more bandwidth than God, and the answer to the equation (ad revenue from the ads you see on the page while you're watching the show) - (cost to provide them) turns out to be a positive number.

I will guess that the same would not be true of GSN. If there is ever a time when it IS true, you can bet your ass that they'll fire one up.
[/quote]

And if GSN does, I would imagine that they would go the VOD route before they go 24/7 over the satellite.

But right now, considering that the web site has to prop up the main stem, they have more to think about than starting a spinoff channel.