Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Temptation's fate  (Read 5422 times)

tvmitch

Temptation's fate
« on: October 29, 2007, 01:34:32 PM »
I know of no news of cancellation at all - but wanted to pose the topic for discussion...

Is there a possibility that Temptation would get canceled in mid-season this year, similar to Card Sharks' fate a few years ago? Has the show gone in production for the back end of the season, or has the entire season already been produced?

I know that the show is doing well here or there, but national ratings are beyond disappointing.
You should follow me on Twitter

uncamark

Temptation's fate
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2007, 01:45:12 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'168158\' date=\'Oct 29 2007, 12:34 PM\']
I know of no news of cancellation at all - but wanted to pose the topic for discussion...

Is there a possibility that Temptation would get canceled in mid-season this year, similar to Card Sharks' fate a few years ago? Has the show gone in production for the back end of the season, or has the entire season already been produced?

I know that the show is doing well here or there, but national ratings are beyond disappointing.
[/quote]

From what I've heard, they wrapped for the season earlier this month.

And they've said all along that if the shopping element clicks, that could bring the show back into production for more episodes.  I would imagine that the shopping element could keep the show on the air--but would that offset stations moving the show into graveyard time slots?

Matt Ottinger

Temptation's fate
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2007, 01:59:44 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'168159\' date=\'Oct 29 2007, 01:45 PM\']
From what I've heard, they wrapped for the season earlier this month.[/quote]
Yeah, they had an absurdly sped-up schedule, taping something like 24 shows a week I think.  So the episodes are there.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Don Howard

Temptation's fate
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
Might as well run 'em since they've been produced.
If the plug is pulled and the final few months of shows don't run, will the big winners on those shows be denied their True Feng Shui and pampering parties?

MikeK

• Martha!
Temptation's fate
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 03:24:38 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'168170\' date=\'Oct 29 2007, 02:54 PM\']Might as well run 'em since they've been produced.  If the plug is pulled and the final few months of shows don't run, will the big winners on those shows be denied their True Feng Shui and pampering parties?[/quote]
You mean departing contestants won't get their requisite "lots of love" from Rossi?  What is this world coming to?  I think I'm going to cry.  Never mind.  Some dust got into my eye.

Jimmy Owen

Temptation's fate
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 04:06:41 PM »
One thing I've noticed is more players are willing to succumb to temptation during the main game, so they don't end up with just Rossi's love as a consolation prize...

I think the show will last the season simply because  there isn't any new product for stations to buy for a Jan. launch
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Ian Wallis

Temptation's fate
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 04:54:36 PM »
One thing I've noticed is more players are willing to succumb to temptation during the main game, so they don't end up with just Rossi's love as a consolation prize...

I'd hope they would.  On the 12 or so episodes I've seen of it, a couple of times the champion was defeated and still left with nothing but Rossi's love.  I've always thought you should get something for winning a game.
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Fedya

Temptation's fate
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 06:23:38 PM »
Don Howard asked:
If the plug is pulled and the final few months of shows don't run, will the big winners on those shows be denied their True Feng Shui and pampering parties?
Big winners?  I thought they were cheapening the top prizes.

(Before you know it, the top prize will be a Yugo....)
-- Ted Schuerzinger, now blogging at <a href=\"http://justacineast.blogspot.com/\" target=\"_blank\">http://justacineast.blogspot.com/[/url]

No Fark slashes were harmed in the making of this post

chops

Temptation's fate
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 07:26:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'168189\' date=\'Oct 29 2007, 04:54 PM\']I'd hope they would.  On the 12 or so episodes I've seen of it, a couple of times the champion was defeated and still left with nothing but Rossi's love.  I've always thought you should get something for winning a game. [/quote]
Even "the cash in front of you" is better than nothing, but as we've seen, that would break the bank here.

/besides, Rossi needs the hugs

BrandonFG

Temptation's fate
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 07:33:00 PM »
[quote name=\'chops\' post=\'168195\' date=\'Oct 29 2007, 07:26 PM\']
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'168189\' date=\'Oct 29 2007, 04:54 PM\']I'd hope they would.  On the 12 or so episodes I've seen of it, a couple of times the champion was defeated and still left with nothing but Rossi's love.  I've always thought you should get something for winning a game. [/quote]
Even "the cash in front of you" is better than nothing, but as we've seen, that would break the bank here.
[/quote]
Which explains why "FREEmantle" produces the show. {rimshot}

/Hold your fire.

I've expressed my utter resentment for the show's cheapness. To be honest, the show wants to project such an elegant image, then plays Scrooge with the prizes. Holy unnecessary irony, Batman!

I say just offer Visa or American Express gift cards to the contestants...that way you at least line up another sponsor, and don't look so cheap. Say $250 for third place, $500 for second. Or, if Fremantle still wants to look cheap, put the "Tempatation Dollars" on said gift card...anything other than talking condescendingly to contestants about the "lots of love Temptatorgy".
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

narzo

Temptation's fate
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 10:45:37 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'168159\' date=\'Oct 29 2007, 12:45 PM\']

And they've said all along that if the shopping element clicks, that could bring the show back into production for more episodes.  I would imagine that the shopping element could keep the show on the air--but would that offset stations moving the show into graveyard time slots?
[/quote]

RIP:   "Bargain Hunters", "The Home Shopping Game", "Can We Shop" (Joan Rivers talk/shopping show), "VTV" (Alex Trebek/Meredith McRae talk/shopping show), "Time Out For Trivia" (sports trivia/shopping show), "What's News" (current events trivia/shopping show)...

people that want shopping shows, watch shopping shows (thank goodness).  Shows that rely on shoppping segments to pay the bills, fail.

To quote Bud Paxson (then head of Home Shopping Network at the time) on "The Home Shopping Game":  "we had a hell of a lot of fun, and lost a hell of a lot of money"

uncamark

Temptation's fate
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 12:42:42 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'168304\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 09:45 PM\']

[/quote]

RIP:   "Bargain Hunters", "The Home Shopping Game", "Can We Shop" (Joan Rivers talk/shopping show), "VTV" (Alex Trebek/Meredith McRae talk/shopping show), "Time Out For Trivia" (sports trivia/shopping show), "What's News" (current events trivia/shopping show)...

people that want shopping shows, watch shopping shows (thank goodness).  Shows that rely on shoppping segments to pay the bills, fail.

To quote Bud Paxson (then head of Home Shopping Network at the time) on "The Home Shopping Game":  "we had a hell of a lot of fun, and lost a hell of a lot of money"
[/quote]

Someone who would know:  Did "TOFT" have shopping when it started?  I know that the shopping element was dropped at some point before it went off and before FNN dropped "TelShop" (and it seems to me that it lasted as long as the Score block on FNN lasted).

Could a similar statement be made about "call-in-and-lose" shows as well?  It would seem to me that they work as a money-maker better when they are their own channel, as in Europe (although I realize that most, if not all of those channels are part-time, correct?).  If GSN decided to spinoff "PlayMania" as its own channel, would they make money off of it?  (I assume that initially there would be interest from cable operators, as would anything that doesn't charge subscriber fees and shares revenues with the systems, like shopping channels.)  Could a 24/7 call-in-and-lose work?  Is ITV Play still going in the UK?

narzo

Temptation's fate
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 11:40:18 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'168336\' date=\'Oct 31 2007, 11:42 AM\']
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'168304\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 09:45 PM\']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Someone who would know:  Did "TOFT" have shopping when it started?  I know that the shopping element was dropped at some point before it went off and before FNN dropped "TelShop" (and it seems to me that it lasted as long as the Score block on FNN lasted).

Could a similar statement be made about "call-in-and-lose" shows as well?  It would seem to me that they work as a money-maker better when they are their own channel, as in Europe (although I realize that most, if not all of those channels are part-time, correct?).  If GSN decided to spinoff "PlayMania" as its own channel, would they make money off of it?  (I assume that initially there would be interest from cable operators, as would anything that doesn't charge subscriber fees and shares revenues with the systems, like shopping channels.)  Could a 24/7 call-in-and-lose work?  Is ITV Play still going in the UK?
[/quote]

TelShop went before Score did iirc.  The whole lot was bought up by CNBC and yes "TOFT" had regular prizes first but they were nothing exciting.  I wish I could remember the announcers name because he would be onscreen and banter with Bill Griffith during the "what's news" show and was often the highlight of that call in to win show.

The problem with all of the call in to play and win shows is they just aren't interesting TV for the average viewer.  I equate it to radio and the people who will listen to any radio station that has a contest running.  They have no loyalty to a station/show/format, they just want to win.  The call into win TV shows are for those viewers and thats honestly it.  That's a tough audience to market to.  It would probably work best as a niche network but even so I don't think could turn a profit.

Neumms

Temptation's fate
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 11:47:38 PM »
[quote name=\'narzo\' post=\'168400\' date=\'Oct 31 2007, 10:40 PM\']
The problem with all of the call in to play and win shows is they just aren't interesting TV for the average viewer.
[/quote]

I wonder if it would help if they had legit questions and puzzles and didn't stall to make it seem like nobody was calling in. Basically, if they made it an actual game.

TOFT--Todd Donoho (unless you meant an off-camera announcer). He did sports at KABC at one point since. Those questions were actually fair, if I recalll correctly.

rugrats1

Temptation's fate
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 12:35:47 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'168336\' date=\'Oct 31 2007, 11:42 AM\']
Could a 24/7 call-in-and-lose work?  Is ITV Play still going in the UK?
[/quote]

Not anymore -- the channel closed in March due to concerns in which prospective players weren't treated fairly, and that some view the games as a form of gambling, getting the regulators involved. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITV_Play_%28channel%29

The ITV Play brand continued as a brand until the start of October, when it was revamped as ITV Games.

A few other quiz channels also folded in Britain, due to legal allegations.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 12:36:39 AM by rugrats1 »