Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Ups, Downs of Crosswords"  (Read 4550 times)

entguy1

"Ups, Downs of Crosswords"
« on: October 30, 2007, 10:12:49 AM »
Semi-interesting, if not inside baseball, interview with Rich Colbert of Program Partners, who talks about MGC:

http://www.tvnewsday.com/articles/2007/10/30/daily.3/
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 11:32:36 AM by Matt Ottinger »

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 10:46:53 AM »
Pshh.

I'm getting a login page.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 11:45:02 AM »
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'168240\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 07:46 AM\']
[/quote]
Damn, I love Firefox.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DoorNumberFour

• ChristianCarrion.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 12:29:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168245\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 10:45 AM\']
[quote name=\'DoorNumberFour\' post=\'168240\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 07:46 AM\']
[/quote]
Damn, I love Firefox.
[/quote]

Ha! I use Firefox and I never knew about this.

Thank you, sir.
Digital Media Producer, National Archives of Game Show History
"Tell Us About Yourself: Conversations with Game Show Contestants" available on all streaming services
christian@christiancarrion.com

BrandonFG

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 03:53:16 PM »
This quote caught my eye:
We did do some testing recently. What we found was that people like the premise of the show[...]
Some of the feedback that we got was that viewers would like to see more of Ty. They’d like to see him interact more with the contestants. They’d like to see the prizing increase. So we were responsive. We went back into the studio and made some refinements that we believe are additives. Those episodes will begin airing this coming Monday and through the November book.
I wonder how many viewers spoke up about the spoiler aspect. Regardless, I look forward to the new changes. Program Partners at least shows they get it, and that they care about the show succeeding, albeit gradually.

/Wish Fremantle would do this with Temptation...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 04:52:56 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'168268\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 03:53 PM\']
Program Partners at least shows they get it, and that they care about the show succeeding, albeit gradually.[/quote]
Whoa, let's not use "gets it" © just because a company man is desperately talking up changes to a pretty badly flawed show.  And honestly, if the first thing he's getting from the focus group is that we need more of Treadway, how sure are we that he gets it at all?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 05:05:22 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168275\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 03:52 PM\']
Whoa, let's not use "gets it" © just because a company man is desperately talking up changes to a pretty badly flawed show.  And honestly, if the first thing he's getting from the focus group is that we need more of Treadway, how sure are we that he gets it at all?
[/quote]

If he's relying on a focus group to tell him, it's safe to say he doesn't get it. But it's nice to see the introduction of "prizing" into the language.

dzinkin

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'168278\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 05:05 PM\']
But it's nice to see the introduction of "prizing" into the language.
[/quote]
"Verbing weirds language." — Calvin

BrandonFG

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 05:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168275\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 04:52 PM\']
[/quote]
Point taken...I suppose what I mean is, he's willing to at least see what people think of the show, instead of just assuming that it's the viewers fault and not that of the producers'.

Point also taken on the Ty part. ;-)
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 05:33:41 PM »
Well, I think more cutaways to the host is always a good idea.  I think in the early going, you were seeing mostly the contestants and the computer game board without seeing the host very often.  Ty should be a little more jovial, if he can.  Another thing I find odd is that they will have a mill around with all the contestants at the end.  Unlike J!, it doesn't work because the losing players were vanquished and dispached ten minutes ago.  Just Ty and the champ would be better.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 05:36:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'168283\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 05:33 PM\']
Unlike J!, it doesn't work because the losing players were vanquished and dispached ten minutes ago.  Just Ty and the champ would be better.
[/quote]
That's one thing I've never liked, and it was used a lot on Stone-Stanley's shows in the 90s. To me, it just seems weird, and in just about every ep. I've seen, you have at least two of the four castaways staring awkwardly.

Looks even worse if the champion displaced you at the last minute.

/Hey, great bonus round, guy...all those empty squares look great!
//Should've let a PRO go for it.
///If you're such a pro, you'd be standing here, bub...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:43:00 PM by fostergray82 »

Don Howard

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 05:41:58 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'168268\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 03:53 PM\']
Wish Fremantle would do this with Temptation...
[/quote]
Even if Temptation! The New $ale of the Century had focus groups supply opinions on the prizing et. al., how long would it take before we saw any changes made? At their current pace, they should be taped through 2011 by the weekend.

TimK2003

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 11:12:51 PM »
[quote name=\'Neumms\' post=\'168278\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 05:05 PM\']
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'168275\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 03:52 PM\']
[/quote]

If he's relying on a focus group to tell him, it's safe to say he doesn't get it. But it's nice to see the introduction of "prizing" into the language.
[/quote]

Here's an idea:  If any new future game shows want to use a focus group to point out flaws and dislikes before they shoot 100+ episodes before the first airing (see, The New Sale Of The Century, Temptation)...

...have them screen the pilot or a couple of the first episodes in front of an audience of GSC attendees!!

If the GSC's are in July, you'll probably have a pilot already made and maybe a handful of episodes in the can, and you'd still have time to shoot the vast majority of episodes with all the changes and/or tweaks in place.  Not to mention, you'll have a focus group full of people who will wantto help make the show work.  (Plus it would make a great addition to the GSC schedule of events!)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 11:17:49 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'168305\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 08:12 PM\']
Not to mention, you'll have a focus group full of people who will wantto help make the show work.  
[/quote]
And who accurately represent the viewing audience the show will eventually be presented to not at all.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

narzo

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 11:30:42 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168306\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 10:17 PM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'168305\' date=\'Oct 30 2007, 08:12 PM\']
Not to mention, you'll have a focus group full of people who will wantto help make the show work.  
[/quote]
And who accurately represent the viewing audience the show will eventually be presented to not at all.
[/quote]

EXACTLY.  Don't even get me started on the flaws of the whole focus group idea...