Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: One year ago today...  (Read 2044 times)

brianhenke

One year ago today...
« on: November 01, 2007, 12:09:08 PM »
One year today, Fox premiered the Rich List, hosted by Eamonn Holmes. The episode saw Ray Barnhart and Bill May team up to win $175,000 by winning two games and making two Rich Lists (which were Best Picture Oscar winners and Disney animated films).

But that was the end of the show. Fox axed the show after this episode, and what Ray and Bill did afterwards is  probably in the Fox archives,  in the twilight zone of unaired TV shows. It became the first prime time game canceled after one episode since Jackie Gleason pulled the plug on You're In the Picture in 1961 (and apologized on-air for it).

The Rich List has thrived elsewhere, though. It was a hit in its first season in an Australian version, and is expected to return for Season 2. New Zealand  and Germany have had versions as well, and Eamonn Holmes' own country will finally see it soon  on BBC One under the title Who Dares Wins (not the show of the same name that aired on GSN a few years back).

Brian
The leaves start to change color in May?

comicus

One year ago today...
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 05:54:33 PM »
I had truly forgotten all about this abomination.  Thank you for this (disturbingly Horanish) trip down regrettable history lane.

BrandonFG

One year ago today...
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2007, 06:10:00 PM »
I forgot all about this show, too. I thought it had lots of potential, but as a daytime show. Like a lot of the current shows, everything about the show was completely out of place. Let's see, budget offering about 20x too much? Check. Overblown set? Check. Fear Factor commercial tosses? Check.

The show looked like something you'd see in the early-80s, with a celebrity-contestant team, playing for $10,000.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

TravisP

One year ago today...
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2007, 06:10:04 PM »
[quote name=\'brianhenke\' post=\'168446\' date=\'Nov 1 2007, 11:09 AM\']
and Eamonn Holmes' own country will finally see it soon  on BBC One under the title Who Dares Wins (not the show of the same name that aired on GSN a few years back).[/quote]

That's right. Our version is set to debut as a Saturday night lottery show from 17th November for seven weeks.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
One year ago today...
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2007, 09:30:40 PM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'168529\' date=\'Nov 1 2007, 02:54 PM\']I had truly forgotten all about this abomination.  Thank you for this (disturbingly Horanish) trip down regrettable history lane.[/quote]I thought it was ok, if not a bit overblown for what it was. But I do agree about the OP.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'168530\' date=\'Nov 1 2007, 03:10 PM\']I forgot all about this show, too. I thought it had lots of potential, but as a daytime show. Like a lot of the current shows, everything about the show was completely out of place. Let's see, budget offering about 20x too much? Check. Overblown set? Check. Fear Factor commercial tosses? Check.

The show looked like something you'd see in the early-80s, with a celebrity-contestant team, playing for $10,000.[/quote]If it was me, I'd cut away some of the prize money, put the game on some sort of shot-clock, and require the teammates to alternate answering; that way you don't have one person dominating the play.
Travis L. Eberle

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
One year ago today...
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2007, 10:43:07 PM »
You know what The Rich List needed? A snappy catchphrase. Without one, the show just felt unfinished.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 10:43:55 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Kevin Prather

One year ago today...
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2007, 10:51:54 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'168549\' date=\'Nov 1 2007, 07:43 PM\']
You know what The Rich List needed? A snappy catchphrase. Without one, the show just felt unfinished.
[/quote]
And an unfinished show is...well, you know. :)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
One year ago today...
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 10:53:22 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'168550\' date=\'Nov 1 2007, 07:51 PM\']
And an unfinished show is...well, you know. :)
[/quote]
Crap, yes. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe