Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: WGA not particularly happy with Fremantle  (Read 2396 times)

That Don Guy

WGA not particularly happy with Fremantle
« on: November 07, 2007, 04:00:08 PM »
Apparently, WGA is pretty much boycottong all Fremantle productions in retaliation for how the company treats its shows' writers:

http://www.wga.org/organizesub.aspx?id=2500

The article includes an interesting note about Temptation's production - 170 episodes in 16 weeks (without residuals, health benefits, or pension plan investments for the writers).

-- Don

weaklink75

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 04:23:18 PM »
At least it wasn't like the 89-90 version of Jackpot- wasn't it like 130 episodes in 3 weeks or something about as insane?

JayDLewis

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007, 04:27:13 PM »
[quote name=\'That Don Guy\' post=\'169012\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 05:00 PM\']

The article includes an interesting note about Temptation's production - 170 episodes in 16 weeks
[/quote]

That's roughly 2 episodes per day. Wheel does 10 in a weekend (5 a day) and didn't Pyramid/MG do 5 a day?

Doesn't exactly seem like a break-neck pace to me...
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 04:36:16 PM »
Do the math. The game show that shot 10 shows every two weeks produced 260 episodes in one year, or 130 shows in 26 weeks, or 65 shows per quarter. In 16 weeks we would turn out 80 shows, so Temptation was going at almost double speed.

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007, 05:06:48 PM »
Alrighty...interesting question time!

What Fremantle programs use WGA writers?  Right now, I can name Temptation and probably American Idol.

Any others?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

davidhammett

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007, 08:30:54 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'169016\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 05:27 PM\']

The article includes an interesting note about Temptation's production - 170 episodes in 16 weeks
[/quote]
That's roughly 2 episodes per day. Wheel does 10 in a weekend (5 a day) and didn't Pyramid/MG do 5 a day?
[/quote]
Those numbers are misleading... they did work on the production for about 16 weeks, but the first several of those weeks were spent in the office -- there were only 8-9 weeks of actual taping, which was usually done at the rate of 6 episodes per day 4 days a week.

cmjb13

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 08:08:56 AM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'169016\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 04:27 PM\']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Wheel does 6 shows a day. The 6th show taped usually airs several months after the previous 5. When I was there last November, the first 5 were set to air in December/January. The 6th show was scheduled for April. So basically every 5th taping day they have a extra week of shows.

Charlie O. mentioned (and I think it's been mentioned here before) that Pyramid used to do 10 shows a day (5-25k and 5-100k)
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 05:23:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'169021\' date=\'Nov 7 2007, 04:06 PM\']
Alrighty...interesting question time!

What Fremantle programs use WGA writers?  Right now, I can name Temptation and probably American Idol.

Any others?
[/quote]

"Temptation" used WGAers, but as "producers," not writers.

"Idol" has no credited writers.

"TPIR" writers Adam Sandler and Stan Blits--listed as writers on the Emmy submission this year--are credited as other titles.

There were no credited writers on "Thank God You're Here," and in an interview on Second City's podcast cast member Maribeth Monroe said that they reused a lot of scenarios from the original Australian version (which, of course, have to be written--"Curb Your Enthusiasm" may be improvised, but Larry David does write up a six-page description of each episode describing what is to be in each scene and he knows *exactly* what he's going to say in each scene, unless an actor tries to trip him up).

I've lost track on Fremantle's cable shows, but I believe all of them are reality and avoid WGA jurisdiction.

Now in the UK, I assume that the comedy shows produced by Fremantle's TalkbackThames use their writers' union, and Fremantle's Australian division has union writers on "Neighbours."

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 05:46:50 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'169116\' date=\'Nov 8 2007, 02:23 PM\']
There were no credited writers on "Thank God You're Here,"[/quote]
"Erm, no, you don't have to put my name in the credits. Really. No, I insist. Um, can I have my check now, please?"
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe