Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Big change to TPiR's eligibility requirements  (Read 5150 times)

cmjb13

Big change to TPiR's eligibility requirements
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 11:46:28 AM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'169194\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 11:40 AM\']
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'169145\' date=\'Nov 8 2007, 10:06 PM\']
That's good news.  I wonder if Yolanda Bowersly could come back on the show.  It would be good to see them...I mean, her again.
[/quote]

Imagine what she could play.

Pick-a-Pair
Cover Up
Flip Flop
[/quote]
Or how about..

Bonkers
Check-out
Line 'em Up
Side by Side
Squeeze Play
Take Two
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 11:46:58 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

uncamark

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 11:57:56 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'169196\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 10:45 AM\']
It's a good idea, they just picked the wrong show.
[/quote]

But "LMAD" did the same thing after they had been on for over 10 years.  So I don't think that's such a bad thing--and in the end, it probably won't change things that much, because you still have to make the effort to get to Studio 33.  It's not like they're calling up people asking them to come back.

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 12:12:04 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'169200\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 10:57 AM\']
But "LMAD" did the same thing after they had been on for over 10 years.  So I don't think that's such a bad thing--and in the end, it probably won't change things that much, because you still have to make the effort to get to Studio 33.  It's not like they're calling up people asking them to come back.
[/quote]
That's a good point.  The first time I went, I made myself ineligible to be selected (because I had some question about whether my mother working for an advertising agency would affect my eligibility--so I didn't want to take the chance that I would win something and then not get to keep it, and besides, I had as much fun knowing I wasn't going to be called to come on down as those who were hoping to be called).  Only a couple of other people in that taping were also ineligible, one of whom was a former contestant who won a few thousand dollars in prizes (she was attending with her church group, but had to leave the line during Stan's interviews).

Granted, extremely small sample size, but in the grand scheme of things I don't think it's going to make a huge difference in the potential contestant pool for any average taping.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:13:47 PM by SRIV94 »
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

davidhammett

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'169196\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 12:45 PM\']
It's a good idea, they just picked the wrong show.
[/quote]
I agree with Matt... they should have picked Wheel of Fortune instead.

GPeefalt

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 03:08:25 PM »
Waiting for the first time in TPiR history where a contestant gets on stage for the second time, only to play the same game he/she played the first time.

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »
[quote name=\'GPeefalt\' post=\'169219\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 04:08 PM\']
Waiting for the first time in TPiR history where a contestant gets on stage for the second time, only to play the same game he/she played the first time.
[/quote]

<CONTESTANT>  "Aw Crap! I drive all night from Oakland, get picked and get my way up on stage only to play 'One Right Price' for a $2500 trip to San Francisco...AGAIN!?!?" </C>
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 04:43:17 PM by TimK2003 »

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 08:52:07 PM »
[quote name=\'rebelwrest\' post=\'169194\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 10:40 AM\'] [quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'169145\' date=\'Nov 8 2007, 10:06 PM\']
That's good news.  I wonder if Yolanda Bowersly could come back on the show.  It would be good to see them...I mean, her again.
[/quote]

Imagine what she could play.

Pick-a-Pair
Cover Up
Flip Flop
 [/quote]

Or even Half Off
Except during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Then she could play the Check Game.
That way she could make sure she doesn't play Bump.

/ Rapidly losing all of my good will from the archivist thread
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

comicus

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 09:33:37 PM »
Alas, hope!  I know where I'll try to be sometime in Fall 2011... assuming the show's still on the air.

comicus

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2007, 09:37:09 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'169188\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 10:16 AM\']
And BTW, she didn't get a phone for being stuck in CR -- only a bar set and and a Hoover Steam Vac -- pissed me off that we got shortchanged!!   :-p
[/quote]
Man, that's nice compared to my Cutco knife set (the butter knife was lost within three days) and my $100 Meineke gift certificate (which pretty much just bought a new set of spark plugs for a Cadillac that died six months later).

/hell, I would have taken the phone.

mrchips

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2007, 06:12:37 AM »
[quote name=\'GPeefalt\' post=\'169219\' date=\'Nov 9 2007, 02:08 PM\']Waiting for the first time in TPiR history where a contestant gets on stage for the second time, only to play the same game he/she played the first time.[/quote]
"This sure ain't how I remember playing the Balance Game."

davemackey

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2007, 06:55:20 AM »
This, of course, also opens up the floodgates for the thousands of contestants who played the Bill Cullen version of the show to play.

/I believe about less than 100 are still alive

cmjb13

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2007, 07:02:13 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'169277\' date=\'Nov 10 2007, 06:55 AM\']
This, of course, also opens up the floodgates for the thousands of contestants who played the Bill Cullen version of the show to play.

[/quote]
There already was a contestant from the Cullen version several years ago so this new rule has no impact on this. IIRC, the old eligibility rule stated that you couldn't be a contestant if you were previously a contestant on the daytime or nighttime show. Were contestants from Kennedy, James, & Davidson's versions allowed to play up until this recent rule change? (I though this rule was only in effect for the Barker version of Price)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007, 07:02:50 AM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2007, 12:22:39 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'169278\' date=\'Nov 10 2007, 07:02 AM\']
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'169277\' date=\'Nov 10 2007, 06:55 AM\']

[/quote]
There already was a contestant from the Cullen version several years ago so this new rule has no impact on this. IIRC, the old eligibility rule stated that you couldn't be a contestant if you were previously a contestant on the daytime or nighttime show. Were contestants from Kennedy, James, & Davidson's versions allowed to play up until this recent rule change? (I though this rule was only in effect for the Barker version of Price)
[/quote]
I've always been under the impression that it applied to all versions of the show.  I think Roger even said that the reason they didn't enforce it with the Cullen version, even though they technically should have been, was that they didn't have any records from it.