Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Here's the deal with Adamle and AG08  (Read 8574 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Here's the deal with Adamle and AG08
« on: December 04, 2007, 06:28:40 PM »
This is straight from Gladiatorszone.com, written By Josh Yawn (I know I've heard that name somewhere else before).

From Gladiatorszone.com

Here's the deal with Mike Adamle and AG08.  Mind you, I'm not here to gossip.  A friend of mine (who is equally passionate about Gladiators, who also works in television that I've worked with several times) and I got in touch with Adamle when AG08 was in its earliest stages.  I'm not sure how many of you know how things work in show business...typically, when you're on a show, it's either "just work," or you become so associated with it that you want to depart from it the first chance you get.  Neither was the case with Adamle, who was surprisingly passionate about the show.  It holds a very special place with him.  Because of our contact with him, he got in touch with Ferraro and began ACTIVELY pursuing returning as host.  He not only appeared at the Chicago auditions but had meetings in LA.  We were really gunning for him.  Not that he needed it...the man is an insanely talented, extremely intelligent gentleman who doesn't get the recognition he deserves as an emcee.  

In any case, they never even had the courtesy to tell him he didn't get the job...it was my friend who broke the news to him that Hulk Hogan got the job, and I'm glad it wasn't me, because apparently he was crushed by it.  But again, I maintain that Mike Adamle is one of the greatest hosts I've ever seen.  I guess you have to see it through "host eyes" but...think of all the amazingly relevant metaphors and comparisons he'd come up with on the spot.  He could be funny...he could be serious, but he always came across as extremely respectful and never stuttered or missed a beat.  Not many people, especially our modern emcees and commentators, are capable of doing that.  

So there's the deal.  And for what it's worth, I know for a fact that Dan Clark wanted to come back as a host too.  If you think about it, they really could have picked up where they left off, with Mike and Nitro as hosts again.  Imagine the first show starting with the clip of Adamle saying "don't worry, we'll be back" on the final show and exploding into he and Nitro running out on the new series.  *sigh* They could have had it.  I think Hulk and Laila are decent choices, but they're more hired for their status versus their talent, which is a huge casting problem in Hollywood today I could get started on for hours.  But for now...there's some info for you.  

Outside of that, here's the link: http://forum.gladiatorszone.com/YaBB.pl?num=1196574009

I thought about something else: Hogan is going to be on WWE Raw next week for the 15th Anniversary. USA is owned by Universal, who also owns NBC. Here's my guess: For those who watch WWE, get set for a storyline which has Hogan stay on in WWE until AG premieres, so he and everybody else can promote the show ad nauseam.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Strikerz04

• The Money Will be Spent
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2007, 07:02:56 PM »
Ouch. That's sad that Adamle didn't get the gig. He's been a great (if not exceptional) newscaster here in Chicago in the past few years. I've met him at a ceremony at Soldier Field years ago, and his personality is still one of the best out there; and I would argue that he'd do great on the revival as well. 'Tis sad that he didn't get the revival, and Hulk and Laila would do just as well, hopefully.

weaklink75

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2007, 08:26:54 PM »
They could have at least told him they wanted to go in a new direction (and I'm still worried that there isn't a play-by-play person as far as I can tell)...but who knows. Thanks for the link to that site too- a lot of good info on the new Gladiators and some of the tweaks they've done...I'm hopeful at least.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 02:12:59 AM »
So let me get this straight.

They had rabid interest from a professional broadcaster who immediately would have brought experience, legitimacy, and familiarity to what could be promoted as a serious sports competition, thereby attracting the football audience that is looking for something to watch and sending a message to the fans of the original show that they're taking it seriously.

And instead they went out and hired Hulk Friggin' Hogan and a novelty act boxer.

Bad sign. REALLY bad sign.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 07:37:36 AM »
Lemon put it perfectly...damn shame they didn't go with Adamle.  Even if they went with Adamle and Hogan in the booth, and Ali as a "sideline reporter" it would be a little more tolerable.

It also makes me cringe that they didn't even have the courtesy to tell him that he didn't get the job.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

jmangin

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 09:16:51 AM »
I can't say I'm really that surprised they went with Hogan over Adamle.  I just hope this doesn't turn into a show with focus on storylines rather than competition.

//I was really gunning for Lisa Malosky to come back.

tvwxman

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 09:17:06 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171326\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 02:12 AM\']
So let me get this straight.

They had rabid interest from a professional broadcaster who immediately would have brought experience, legitimacy, and familiarity to what could be promoted as a serious sports competition, thereby attracting the football audience that is looking for something to watch and sending a message to the fans of the original show that they're taking it seriously.

And instead they went out and hired Hulk Friggin' Hogan and a novelty act boxer.

Bad sign. REALLY bad sign.
[/quote]
I'm sorry. This surprises you 'how'?

Seriously. We should all know by now that this is how television is 'casted' now. Ability and experience are downplayed, marketability and sensationalism are promoted.

Do some research. How many (non-AG-fans) know who Mike Adamle is, outside of Chicago, and how many know who Hulk Hogan and Laila Ali are?

For the record, I think Hulk Hogan is decent casting for this show, even though I can't stand the man. A straight sportscaster like Adamle is clearly NOT what NBC was looking for.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 10:00:54 AM »
Yeah...I can go along with Hulk Hogan being a half-decent cast for host.  But Laila Ali?  I thought she was even less famous than Adamle!

/Then again, I live 90 minutes from Chicago, so what do I know?
//Never watched Chicago news though...not in that market.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 11:14:25 AM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'171336\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 10:00 AM\']But Laila Ali?  I thought she was even less famous than Adamle![/quote]
That last name is basically what got her where she needed to go.  She does have talent, but legacy points helped.

They could've at least said something to him, even if it was "no."  If they didn't want him on camera (I don't remember him looking so good the one time I saw Battle of the Reality Network Stars), they could've at least made him some sort of consultant.  God forbid someone knowledgeable helps with the creation of this show.

I'll restate this: here's hoping the producers don't ruin this series.  Or the hosts.
This signature is currently under construction.

clemon79

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'171330\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 06:17 AM\']
I'm sorry. This surprises you 'how'?[/quote]
Did I say I was surprised?
Do some research. How many (non-AG-fans) know who Mike Adamle is, outside of Chicago, and how many know who Hulk Hogan and Laila Ali are?
The point is, there are SPORTS fans who know who Mike Adamle is. Anyone who's watched college football for any length of time on ESPN knows who Mike Adamle is.

I'm not saying that Hogan and Ali (and for once in his life, Mello's right, her "fame" is based ENTIRELY on her last name) are bad casting decisions; they'll probably go over a treat. What I'm saying is that because of these decisions, the chances are high that NBC's intent is not to produce this show like the AG we all knew from before, the AG that was taken at least somewhat seriously once we got past the first season and they stripped the Gladiators of their idiotic gimmicks. This is gonna be a circus.

Now, do I expect a circus from NBC? Hells yes. But it's still infuriating.

[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'171344\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 08:14 AM\']
(I don't remember him looking so good the one time I saw Battle of the Reality Network Stars)[/quote]
Now THAT'S the Mello I know and....erm, know.
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'171330\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 06:17 AM\']For the record, I think Hulk Hogan is decent casting for this show, even though I can't stand the man.[/quote]
Spoken like a man who never saw Scott Ferrall on "Battle Dome."

/he's unbelievable
//ya gotta love it
////pour me a big-ol' 79-ouncer
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 11:40:57 AM by clemon79 »

tvwxman

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2007, 12:39:48 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171349\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 11:39 AM\']
I'm not saying that Hogan and Ali (and for once in his life, Mello's right, her "fame" is based ENTIRELY on her last name) are bad casting decisions; [/quote]
Not quite agreed there. Her fame and recognition factors, these days, I'd bet has more to do with "Dancing w/the Stars", then her famous name, which, of course, got her on to Dance/w/Stars.

The fact that she's a good looking minority female helps, too.

Your other points, though, are spot on correct. Even the one about Mello.
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

MSTieScott

• Executive Producer
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2007, 01:44:22 PM »
The thing that struck me from watching bits and pieces of a taping is that if Hulk Hogan was one of the gladiators, his personality would fit the role perfectly. In fact, one of the gladiators that I saw has a similar persona, and I thought to myself, "Here's a guy that's going to be one of the favorites." But with Hulk in a hosting position, he turned me off, even though I was watching essentially the same type of person.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171349\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 11:39 AM\']What I'm saying is that because of these decisions, the chances are high that NBC's intent is not to produce this show like the AG we all knew from before, the AG that was taken at least somewhat seriously once we got past the first season and they stripped the Gladiators of their idiotic gimmicks. This is gonna be a circus.[/quote]
I just figured out why watching Hulk host felt awkward -- from what I saw in the studio, they are treating the competition seriously, so Hulk has nothing that he can work with. During breaks, he was in his zone, pumping up the audience, looking for Hulkamaniacs, et cetera... but during the show, he was restricted to just asking how the contenders felt out there. So the fact that he can't act like his usual self is... good? I think?

--
Scott Robinson

clemon79

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 03:32:34 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'171361\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 10:44 AM\']
but during the show, he was restricted to just asking how the contenders felt out there. So the fact that he can't act like his usual self is... good? I think?[/quote]
Y'ever see Hogan Knows Best? Hulk Hogan is entertaining. Terry Bolea is really, REALLY boring. (Neither one jobs cleanly, incidentally.)

So he's gonna go from being a human cartoon to being an entirely mediocre sports announcer. Which is sad considering they could have had a good one, probably for less money than they're paying Hogan.

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 03:35:38 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'171355\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 09:39 AM\']
Not quite agreed there. Her fame and recognition factors, these days, I'd bet has more to do with "Dancing w/the Stars", then her famous name, which, of course, got her on to Dance/w/Stars.[/quote]
True. I was going back to her boxing career, which nobody would have said boo to (and, indeed, female boxers everywhere should kiss her feet for giving them an act) were she not Daughter of Cassius.

/I say Clay
//Rocky Marciano is the greatest fighter who ever lived
///he beat Joe Louis's ass
////what do you know from funny, you bastids

dzinkin

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 03:42:24 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'171372\' date=\'Dec 5 2007, 03:35 PM\']
/I say Clay
//Rocky Marciano is the greatest fighter who ever lived
///he beat Joe Louis's ass
////what do you know from funny, you bastids
[/quote]
That reminds me... from now on all questions in Behind the Scenes will be answered with "F*** you, f*** you and f*** you.  Who's next?"

;-)