Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Million Dollar Password  (Read 10453 times)

Jay Temple

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2007, 12:19:08 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'172471\' date=\'Dec 19 2007, 12:02 PM\']
I'm just hoping that "smart people who have Password knowledge" isn't translatable to "we can't find celebs who can't play the game that well".[/quote]
Did you mean that as written, or did you mean it's not translatable to "we can't find celebs who can play the game that well"? (Of course, I hope it doesn't mean either one.)
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

lobster

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2007, 12:33:32 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'172434\' date=\'Dec 18 2007, 08:30 PM\']
Have faith that they are looking for people who know and understand Password well.
[/quote]

Alex (of Buzzerblog infamy) and I met in NYC last month for one entire day of assorted game show-related appointments and capping the evening off with a hearty 6:00pm Password audition, and I would like to think that him and I delivered the best performance out of the group (given that at least three of the 20 people there raised their hands to the question "Who here has never heard of Password?"), yet of course, afterwards there's always that familiar fear that they will overlook hardcore fan status and mastery of the game :[] in favor of super-excitable run-of-the-mill-prime-time-casted dopes, which there were indeed a few of present.

Nonetheless!  The course of the audition was smooth as they paired you up with a random stranger and you had to convey clues to them.  Unfortunately, it is on this random stranger to guess the password based on your clues in order to convince the coordinators that YOU are good at the game -- so, say you are giving out the absolute quintessential clues and your "partner" just plain sucks at the game and doesn't get it, the whole package isn't quite sold.  (As opposed to a more impressive rapid fire one clue, correct guess, one clue, correct guess, boom boom boom)  ..

This reminded me of the time that I auditioned for Donny-era Pyramid, and was seated in a room exactly like this with a guy who clearly wasn't a Pyramid fan, and we had to mock the bonus game.  The subject given to me was "Why you ask for a manager" -- so as vague as that was, I decided the easiest route would be to list on a consistent path with a restaurant scenario .. so my clues were "Because your food was bad".. "Because your waiter was horrible" .. "Because you demand a refund".. great clues, I thought -- and the guy just stared blankly at me.  He didn't even try!  So when the buzzer sounded, despite the fact that I nailed the other categories, the coordinators tried to school *ME* on how I could have better delivered clues for that subject as if MY CLUE GIVING was at fault for the loss, when in actuality, this bumbling non-fan didn't even try a guess!   So he, in turn, made what I thought was my mastery of the game look not so mastery, not by the fault of my own, of course! :)  Anyway, I bring that up because the potential was there for this to happen at Password as well, but my "partner" was decent despite the fact that she didn't know much about the mechanics of the game and the cashword-style association-building tricks etc.  It did take her four of my clues to gues "Eyes" (Optical, Corneas, Retinas, Brows), but hopefully our performances were judged independently.  

Anyway, it was fun and since I live in Texas, I'm hoping they can use some token ny-outsiders :) .. I like the idea of really obscure words given in cashword-style, as I maintain I can get anyone to guess Chartreuse in three guesses, (provided they know what the word is to begin with) :D

(btw, howdy, Matt & co. .. long time no type) :D
Cheers!
LObs

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Million Dollar Password
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2007, 02:18:45 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172570\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 09:33 AM\']
So when the buzzer sounded, despite the fact that I nailed the other categories, the coordinators tried to school *ME* on how I could have better delivered clues for that subject[/quote]
And this should have told you everything you needed to know about that version of the show, when their coordinators are incapable of judging a potential player individually. You're lucky...the rest of us had to actually see the show to figure that out.
LObs
Why you insist on keeping this handle, considering how much it was tainted by trolls on ATGS, completely perplexes me.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

lobster

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2007, 03:32:01 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'172585\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 01:18 PM\']
And this should have told you everything you needed to know about that version of the show, when their coordinators are incapable of judging a potential player individually. You're lucky...the rest of us had to actually see the show to figure that out.
Indeed.  Which is why I am inspired to read that the crew and coordinators of Password, namely the ones I encountered, Sydney and Angela, at least know how to recognize a player that would give them a good game.
LObs
Why you insist on keeping this handle, considering how much it was tainted by trolls on ATGS, completely perplexes me.
[/quote]
A fine question, and I will attempt to hopefully preemptively diffuse any drama (and un-perplex you at the same time!) with my equally-as-fine answer :D

It is less a matter of insistence and more a matter of both me not wanting to mask my identity and simply for my own convenience.  My nick/handle of Lobster and the many slight variations thereof (when Lobster is otherwise taken) have been what I have used in all forms of online chatting, IRC, AOL IM, forums, etc, since I started BBSing in 1991.  

Mind you, it was only in ATGS did the great Lobster name get the pummeling that it did..
Those ridiculous episodes on the very unregulated ATGS and the constant struggle to convince an angry lynch mob that certain shenanigans were not my doing didn't fare well with my real-life timing of getting married, moving, working, etc.  Once the drama got way too thick and childish, and actual threats were poring in via my personal contact information, I gave up on that scene altogether, but nonetheless carried on in my many other online societies as Lobster et al.  

I was glad to hear that a more regulated board had been set up, and since Mr. Ottinger -- among others -- have in one way or another kept in touch with me privately over the years, he invited me onto this board years ago and apparently had no problem with me joining under this name (note my "Joined" date), even though it took me three years to lay down my first post :)  

So imagine if I had signed onto here with a whole different handle as you suggest -- masking my identity would also involve that I would have to withhold certain bits of information in conversation that might lead to who I actually am (and what fun is that, anyway?) -- to which some jerk would eventually out me and scream "Hey isn't that Lobster from Texas?  Grab the TORCHES, BOYS!!"  .. So I would rather hold the logic and hope everyone realizes it's been years and years since all that stupid ATGS crap, I've appeared on three game shows since (does that give me ANY cred at all on here? :D), we're on a regulated board now, and everyone's older and wiser to accept me as myself and everyone can carry on in nice unadulterated game show chatter as usual.  

A lot of people do know me here, and although I don't expect a welcome wagon full of gifts for contestants not appearing on stage, I do look forward to talking to a lot of ol' cohorts on here, and I cannot imagine for the life of me that anyone would have a problem seeing the name "Lobster" post once again.  I didn't take a five year break from this to come back and drown in drama again, so for the moment I am going to assume my presence here won't be shouted down to death without giving me a chance first.  I suppose we shall see!

--Jennifer212   ;[]

...and in a desperate attempt to steer this back on topic, the Password auditions were held in the foyer, side rooms, and studio of the current installment of The People's Court!

clemon79

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2007, 03:46:19 PM »
Well, fair enough. Welcome back.

(Upon retrospect, we also would have accepted "I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some jackbag troll deny me the nick of my choosing." :))
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 03:47:37 PM by clemon79 »

dzinkin

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2007, 03:48:04 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172591\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 03:32 PM\']
I was glad to hear that a more regulated board had been set up, and since Mr. Ottinger -- among others -- have in one way or another kept in touch with me privately over the years, he invited me onto this board years ago and apparently had no problem with me joining under this name (note my "Joined" date), even though it took me three years to lay down my first post :)  
[/quote]
I'm guessing he probably didn't have a problem, but for the record, I didn't either, as I'm the one who approved the account.  I will admit to doing a double-take when I first saw the account, because at least a couple of times before then, one of our now-banned members who refused to leave ATGS crap behind in ATGS tried to sign up as you.  (Hint: claiming to be from Texas and having a West Virginia IP doesn't really work. :-)

--Jennifer212   ;[]
Impersonating someone else is against the rules.  Banned. ;-)

Seriously, welcome aboard.

lobster

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2007, 04:07:47 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'172595\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 02:46 PM\']
Well, fair enough. Welcome back.
[/quote]
thankye :D ... hey btw, in my absence I have occasionally wondered, did the Final Jeopardy Malcolm jackpot get carried over or did y'all do away with that?  
(Upon retrospect, we also would have accepted "I'll be damned if I'm gonna let some jackbag troll deny me the nick of my choosing." :))

I had considered it, but the word judge would definitely have zapped me for "jackbag"..  :[]

BrandonFG

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2007, 04:14:29 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172598\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 04:07 PM\']
thankye :D ... hey btw, in my absence I have occasionally wondered, did the Final Jeopardy Malcolm jackpot get carried over or did y'all do away with that?  
[/quote]
It still gets the occasional mention, but no, hasn't been claimed yet. :-)

/We've really used that joke for five years now?
//We've really been gone from ATGS for five years now?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2007, 04:17:34 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172598\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 01:07 PM\']
did the Final Jeopardy Malcolm jackpot get carried over or did y'all do away with that?[/quote]
Nope, the Malcolm Jackpot absolutely still exists, and is ever-climbing.

lobster

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2007, 05:37:48 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'172596\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 02:48 PM\']
Seriously, welcome aboard.
[/quote]

Ah, a welcome from the one I feared would give me most resistance :D .. thank you, sir

so now I'm left to ponder if it's more flattering than disturbing that one or more people have tried so hard to spoof me .. I'll leave that to the scholars :D

LObs

dzinkin

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2007, 05:44:32 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172615\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 05:37 PM\']
so now I'm left to ponder if it's more flattering than disturbing that one or more people have tried so hard to spoof me .. I'll leave that to the scholars :D
[/quote]
The guy who tried to spoof you twice has also pretended to be Janice Pennington several times.  Do you and Janice have anything in common? ;-)

lobster

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2007, 05:59:43 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'172617\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 04:44 PM\']
The guy who tried to spoof you twice has also pretended to be Janice Pennington several times.  Do you and Janice have anything in common? ;-)
[/quote]

Well, only the fact that the Cliff Hangers game makes both of us cry -- but for very different reasons ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janice_Pennington#Personal_life   3rd paragraph) , otherwise, nope !

cmjb13

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2007, 08:37:56 PM »
[quote name=\'lobster\' post=\'172570\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 12:33 PM\']
Nonetheless!  The course of the audition was smooth as they paired you up with a random stranger and you had to convey clues to them.  Unfortunately, it is on this random stranger to guess the password based on your clues in order to convince the coordinators that YOU are good at the game -- so, say you are giving out the absolute quintessential clues and your "partner" just plain sucks at the game and doesn't get it, the whole package isn't quite sold.  (As opposed to a more impressive rapid fire one clue, correct guess, one clue, correct guess, boom boom boom)  ..
[/quote]
I just got back from the 5pm audition.  One of the contestant coordinators asked if anyone has NOT seen the show. Only 1 person raised her hand.

She was from Russia. Had absolutely no clue how to play the game. And pretty damn hot for 35. And guess who I was paired with?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:50:17 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

tpirfan28

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2007, 08:44:03 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'172639\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 08:37 PM\']
She was from Russia. Had absolutely no clue how to play the game. And pretty damn hot for 35. And guess who I was paired with?
[/quote]
Wow..that's weird.  That's she's from Russia...not that she is/was hot. :)

Have they settled on a format yet (if you know)?
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

cmjb13

Million Dollar Password
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2007, 08:59:07 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'172640\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 08:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'172639\' date=\'Dec 20 2007, 08:37 PM\']
[/quote]
Wow..that's weird.  That's she's from Russia...not that she is/was hot. :)

Have they settled on a format yet (if you know)?
[/quote]
She was originally from Russia, but living in NY working in HR for some finance company.

They weren't really specific on format details. S&P will determine what clues are legal or not (ie: opposites, rhyming).

Apparently, a lot of actors showed up as we were told if you were an actor not to state that as your occupation because middle america won't root for actors because it's thought they make too much money. You were matched up randomly and brought into the studio where Maury tapes. Each person interviews for a few minutes. (Name, age, location, occupation, What's the craziest thing you ever did? What was your favorite job? What would you do with $1M?). We took turns giving and receiving clues. I gave some pretty good clues, but receiving was quite difficult. The password was advertisement. I gave "commercial", then "product". She guessed "ad". I said it was a form of the word and she had no idea what I was talking about.

I had to give her a crash course in how password works. What can I say? I was born on the 13th.

I tried my best under the circumstances. We were all told that they will be taping in late January. All tapes will go to CBS for selection. If this woman gets picked, I will personally fly to L.A. and kick the person or persons in the groin who made that decision.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 09:04:47 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS