Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Price in the past couple of weeks  (Read 4653 times)

DJDustman

Price in the past couple of weeks
« on: December 21, 2007, 12:21:49 PM »
This is a rare one, me starting a topic, but I've made a little observation lately, I don't know if anyone is seeing this either. Drew has done a remarkable job on the show, to the point where I have watched this season MORE than the past five years with Bob.

However, I am noticing, especially the last two shows, that he's become less enthusiastic? Drew seems to be talking in the same tone the entire show, not too dull, but not exciting either. I love his hosting style either way, I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed this too?

Edit: Sorry about the thread title, should read "Price the past couple of weeks." I knew I would mess this up somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 12:26:31 PM by DJDustman »

lobster

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 12:52:38 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' post=\'172702\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 11:21 AM\']
However, I am noticing, especially the last two shows, that he's become less enthusiastic? Drew seems to be talking in the same tone the entire show, not too dull, but not exciting either. I love his hosting style either way, I'm just wondering if anyone else noticed this too?
[/quote]

I just happened to have caught it a couple of days ago, and he did seem to move the game along without a care either way what happened -- however, it is interesting to hear him inject his opinions .. the IUFB bids were all low for some crappy dollhouse (where they didn't even give the brand -- so who sponsored the item?  Was it just some throwaway item from a stockroom?) and Drew goes "I think you guys are all real low, those things can be expensive since they're so detailed now --- and the actual retail price is...."

During the big wheel this guy almost nailed a $5000 space and Drew was pretty animated about it when the wheel barely ticked off one click too much .. but during the showcase, both contestants overbid and Drew just nonchalantly said "yep, you both overbid, it's over .. no one wins... goodbye everybody!" ... as if he had the biggest buzzkill of his life

at least he kept the bob tradition of going into the audience during a double-overbid :D

cmjb13

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 01:02:20 PM »
I've heard many different things so I really don't know what to believe. Having been there in person for the Christmas shows, he was different on Wednesday (those shows aired yesterday and today), then the rest of the taping week.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Unrealtor

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 03:40:00 PM »
I noticed a lack of energy at times in the last couple episodes, but it sounded to me like he was under the weather (he was so hoarse during Card Game you could barely hear him) rather than bored or distracted.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

opimus

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 05:27:31 PM »
Has Drew been taping Power of Ten episodes the past few weeks? He could be just tired from doing two different shows  at the same time.

The Ol' Guy

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 05:39:20 PM »
I've only caught the show about three times, but 2 out of 3, he still strikes me as "deer in the headlights." I don't see him taking charge of the game and being an equal or stronger presence than the game. He occasionally sounds like he's at a party he was invited to but doesn't want to be there. Small talk, quips, where's the door? But the times he's on his game, he's good. But he has to grab the TPIR bull by the horns and lead it, instead of vice versa. Afraid of Barker's ghost? Hey - he's gone! It's Drew's Price is Right!
I still think he's perfect for Power of 10. That's my 2 cents. Have at it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 05:46:00 PM by The Ol' Guy »

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 09:58:48 PM »
My best guess, too, was that he was under the weather in some fashion, still moving things along professionally, but really not in the mood to start hopping along with anyone. And it did seem to me that the low number of wins on the first show of "Christmas week" actually impacted his mood.

This taping week was the first time they've been pulling from the entire pool of games he's learned, right? Drew seems to be slipping at times back into "just don't leave any part of the rules out" mode again.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

HYHYBT

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2007, 01:42:07 AM »
but during the showcase, both contestants overbid and Drew just nonchalantly said "yep, you both overbid, it's over .. no one wins... goodbye everybody!" ... as if he had the biggest buzzkill of his life
Seems like a good response to a double overbid, especially to end a show that'd already seen six losses.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

LA the DJ

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 04:32:27 AM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'172764\' date=\'Dec 22 2007, 01:42 AM\']
Seems like a good response to a double overbid, especially to end a show that'd already seen six losses.
[/quote]
Well, I think Drew really gets into it sometimes. Look how excited he gets when someone hits the $10K in Plinko or on the wheel.
Just the same, I think it can work in reverse. Having such a bad show probably bummed him out a bit.
Help control the moron population, if you know a moron, kick him in a strategic location.

davemackey

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 04:39:41 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'172750\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 09:58 PM\']
My best guess, too, was that he was under the weather in some fashion, still moving things along professionally, but really not in the mood to start hopping along with anyone.
[/quote]
Some tapings had been cancelled this fall because Drew was sick, and it's possible those shows you saw were the ones taped just after.

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 08:21:25 AM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'172770\' date=\'Dec 22 2007, 04:39 AM\']
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'172750\' date=\'Dec 21 2007, 09:58 PM\']
My best guess, too, was that he was under the weather in some fashion, still moving things along professionally, but really not in the mood to start hopping along with anyone.
[/quote]
Some tapings had been cancelled this fall because Drew was sick, and it's possible those shows you saw were the ones taped just after.
[/quote]
No, these were taped almost a month later.

Of course, it's possible he was under the weather again.

JayDLewis

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 11:04:49 AM »
My take is that (especially with the first episode of Christmas Week) he's so empathic that he takes it kinda personally when they lose.

He started the show upbeat but by Card Game he was well into a downhill slide. The line of "...bummed out in LA" at the end said it all.

JMHO.
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

tpirfan28

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 03:08:19 PM »
He cares.  Maybe seemingly a little too much...but he cares.  With Barker, when a show was a complete disaster, he seemed fake.  Just another reason he Gets It.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Jumpondees

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 01:17:56 AM »
I got a good laugh out of the IUFB reveal when he stuck the card to his head.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 06:50:53 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'172805\' date=\'Dec 22 2007, 12:08 PM\']He cares.  Maybe seemingly a little too much...but he cares.  [/quote]How exactly is it possible to care too much?
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.