Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid City Sweep - Minneapolis (9/27/2003)  (Read 4887 times)

knagl

• Executive Producer
Pyramid City Sweep - Minneapolis (9/27/2003)
« on: September 29, 2003, 07:39:39 AM »
I managed to get an audition time for the Donny Osmond hosted \"Pyramid\" game show during their \"Pyramid City Sweep\" event at the Mall of America in Bloomington, Minnesota.

I was told that I had an audition time of 10:00a, and to be there no less than ten minutes early.  I woke up a little after 8:00, and got to the mall right at 9:30.  I went to the area where the Pyramid stage was set up.  On the stage was a nice mock up of the set, including a pyramid of six monitors with trusses and everything, designed to look very much like the set.  Also, two contestant desks were on the stage, also in the styling of the show.

I asked at one of the tables, and was instructed where to go for the audition -- an empty store on the first level.  There was already a line there of about forty people -- all registered in advance (I believe) waiting to check in.  I hopped into line, got checked in, and went into the store.  There were around 100 folding chairs set up, each with a clipboard and a \"pyramidgameshow.com\" pen.  :)  There was a contestant application/information sheet on everyone's clipboard which we were instructed to fill out.  It had typical things on it such as name, address, phone number, hobbies/interests, have you been on any other game/reality shows in the past ten years, if so which?, etc.  Attached to that card was a salmon colored sheet with thirty numbered blank lines.

While we were waiting, they had a DVD running of an episode from the first season with a $25,000 win on it.

About ten minutes past 10:00, a man came up to the front of the room and introduced himself as Stephen Brown, executive producer of Pyramid!  I was impressed that the E.P. of the show would be at a publicity tour -- I figured that there would be a contestant coordinator of sorts there, but not the big cheese himself.  Anyhoo, he introduced himself, and thanked everyone for coming.  He asked a few general questions and then explained how the audition process was going to work.  He showed a montage video of a lot of winner's circle categories, clues, and answers, with the montage finishing with a $100K win (with less than a second on the clock!).  He told us that the first part of the audition process was to play the end game - the winner's circle round.  He was going to put in a tape with a list of five items for each blank, and our job was to write in the category for each list.  Essentially, \"receiving\" in the end game, but writing our guess on paper.  We were only allowed to write one answer, and were told to write something down for each answer, even if it was only a guess.  He said, \"so, for example, if the tape says, 'A Shamrock, Grass, A Pine Tree, Certain Paint', you would write, 'things that are green.'  Don't just write 'green' because I'll mark you wrong.\"  He told us to write the following in the margin of our sheets:

\"Things that are...\"

\"What a ___ might say\"

\"Reasons...\" (which he told us that the key word to listen to was \"because\" -- \"Because you want to be informed - because you like the comic strips - because you follow the stock market\" (\"reasons you read the newspaper\")

Basically, it was a list of the three most common \"styles\" of WC categories.  ...and we were told to write our answers in those forms, as it is also the form that must be used on the show.

Read the rest of my experience if you'd like -- click here!
(It's too lengthy for this message board...)

inturnaround

« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2003, 08:38:00 AM »
Well written and a good read. I hope you get picked for the show. Even if you don't, you still did \"win\" in the WC and how many people can say they've done that, eh?
Joe Coughlin     
Human

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2003, 11:54:41 AM »
Where can I buy a copy of that DVD?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Timsterino

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2003, 12:27:25 PM »
A nice read. Thanks for sharing your story. Most of it was familiar to other City Sweep stops. I am glad you had a good time and I hope they call you back.

Tim :-)

goongas

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2003, 12:50:07 PM »
\"Do you ever go on the Game Show Network message boards?\" I replied, \"Sure... what, do you lurk in there sometimes?\" He replied, \"No... I post in there sometimes, though. I say more than I should in there, too!\" I thought that was pretty neat.

When I auditioned for Pyramid, he asked us if anyone reads alt.tv.game-shows?  I guess he doesn't read it anymore.  I wonder why...

Eric

Pyramid80

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2003, 01:14:58 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 11:50 AM\']
"Do you ever go on the Game Show Network message boards?" I replied, "Sure... what, do you lurk in there sometimes?" He replied, "No... I post in there sometimes, though. I say more than I should in there, too!" I thought that was pretty neat.

When I auditioned for Pyramid, he asked us if anyone reads alt.tv.game-shows?  I guess he doesn't read it anymore.  I wonder why...

Eric [/quote]
 He asked us the same thing at our audition.  He didn't even mention Game Show Network or the GSN boards.  He must not have found these boards yet!  I agree that Stephen Brown is really a nice guy.  I wonder if Bob Stewart is as nice???

Timsterino

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2003, 01:15:44 PM »
[quote name=\'goongas\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 12:50 PM\']
"Do you ever go on the Game Show Network message boards?" I replied, "Sure... what, do you lurk in there sometimes?" He replied, "No... I post in there sometimes, though. I say more than I should in there, too!" I thought that was pretty neat.

Eric [/quote]
 Stephen is a member of this board. He has graciously answered questions posted on here before about Pyramid.

Dan Sadro

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2003, 01:26:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 12:15 PM\'] Stephen is a member of this board. He has graciously answered questions posted on here before about Pyramid.

Tim :-) [/quote]
 Right.  Which makes me wonder, does that affect eligibility?

I might have thought about attending the Chicago one (wasn't it cancelled anyway?) if I didn't have a worry about eligibility.

Timsterino

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2003, 01:28:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 01:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 12:15 PM\'] Stephen is a member of this board. He has graciously answered questions posted on here before about Pyramid.

I might have thought about attending the Chicago one (wasn't it cancelled anyway?) if I didn't have a worry about eligibility. [/quote]
I thought about that too after the fact (Miami Audition). I honestly did not know he was a member of this board until after the audition, otherwise I would have said something. I think for me, not getting picked was a case of sucking in the mock game.

Chicago was cancelled, BTW.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 01:30:39 PM by Timsterino »

SplitSecond

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2003, 02:28:06 PM »
Stephen being part of this board makes you no more ineligible for \"Pyramid\" than Brian for \"Squares\" or Matt for \"QuizBusters\".

Eligibility is only affected when you and the other party actually know each other on a personal or professional basis.  Addressing Stephen or Brian or Matt (or whomever else) through this board doesn't mean that they have any idea who you are; carrying on regular conversations with them via IM or phone or in person does.

The same idea goes for hosts that you've met.  If you meet a host at a party or promotional event, odds are they won't remember you (though they may say they do next time they see you just to make you feel better).  However, if one or the other of you attends a social function that the other specifically invited you to, well, there goes your eligibility.

That said, the discretion is usually left up to the person working on the show in question, since they would likely lose their job if it became an issue - as well as face possible fines or imprisonment.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2003, 02:50:44 PM »
[quote name=\'Dan Sadro\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 12:26 PM\'] [quote name=\'Timsterino\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 12:15 PM\'] Stephen is a member of this board. He has graciously answered questions posted on here before about Pyramid.

I might have thought about attending the Chicago one (wasn't it cancelled anyway?) if I didn't have a worry about eligibility. [/quote]
 I asked Randy this in regards to Supermarket Sweep; and he said that it should have no bearing whatsoever.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Timsterino

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2003, 04:30:49 PM »
[quote name=\'SplitSecond\' date=\'Sep 29 2003, 02:28 PM\'] Stephen being part of this board makes you no more ineligible for "Pyramid" than Brian for "Squares" or Matt for "QuizBusters".

Eligibility is only affected when you and the other party actually know each other on a personal or professional basis.  Addressing Stephen or Brian or Matt (or whomever else) through this board doesn't mean that they have any idea who you are; carrying on regular conversations with them via IM or phone or in person does.

The same idea goes for hosts that you've met.  If you meet a host at a party or promotional event, odds are they won't remember you (though they may say they do next time they see you just to make you feel better).  However, if one or the other of you attends a social function that the other specifically invited you to, well, there goes your eligibility.

That said, the discretion is usually left up to the person working on the show in question, since they would likely lose their job if it became an issue - as well as face possible fines or imprisonment. [/quote]
 I kinda figured that but I appreciate the clarification. I think it is nice that all aspects of the game show world (contestants, producers, etc.) share space here.

goongas

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2003, 07:41:05 PM »
The same idea goes for hosts that you've met. If you meet a host at a party or promotional event, odds are they won't remember you (though they may say they do next time they see you just to make you feel better). However, if one or the other of you attends a social function that the other specifically invited you to, well, there goes your eligibility.

I read an article about a sports writer who attended an ESPN party and just met Kenny Mayne for a couple of seconds just to say hello.  He was picked for 2 Minute Drill.  At the studio, they asked him if he had ever met anyone with the show (or a similar question, I don't remember the exact question), and he said he met Kenny at a party.  They wouldn't let him on the show.

Eric

bellbm

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2003, 11:53:39 PM »
I too made the trip up to Minneapolis, I was really disapointed the Chicago one was cancelled, and have friends and family up there.  

It was really fun, I was in the second audtion group, I think we started with about 75 people and it was cut down to 22.  I think I did well giving and receiving with my partner, but I didn't get selected for the final 12 at the end of the day, but I guess one never knows.  My friend told me that I shouldn't be too disappointed, since I was already on Wheel of Fortune.

It was fun playing in the audition, playing Pyramid is really a rush, I hope I get the chance to be on the show someday.
Brian

knagl

• Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2003, 07:18:19 AM »
Thank you to everyone for the compliments.  It really was a blast, and yes, nobody will ever be able to take away from me climbing to the top of the pyramid.  :)

Brian- did you stay for the 5:00 shindig?  What all happened -- I thought they were only going to pick four contestants, then draw one name for a spot on the show.  Basically, what did I miss?  :)