Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: So what does Bob think of Drew?  (Read 5071 times)

dzinkin

So what does Bob think of Drew?
« on: December 30, 2007, 10:36:36 PM »
He... won't say.  From Parade magazine, December 30, 2007...

Q: I'm no fan of Drew Carey, so I'm curious: Does Bob Barker watch The Price is Right?  And what does he think of his replacement? Charles Adams, Tarpon Springs, Fla.

A: "Since I retired, I see parts of the show occasionally," says Barker, who hosted Price for 35 years.  "Drew Carey is his own man.  He does the show in his own way, and the viewers will decide if they like his style or not."  Sounds like Bob is too discreet to say if he likes Drew.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:36:47 PM by dzinkin »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 10:58:22 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'173482\' date=\'Dec 30 2007, 07:36 PM\']
Sounds like Bob is too discreet to say if he likes Drew.
[/quote]
Assuming he even made that statement at all. You're talking about Personality Parade here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 11:00:53 PM »
A: "Since I retired, I see parts of the show occasionally," says Barker
The evil part of my brain (growing in size every day) immediately provided me with the following audio transcript:

"Here it comes! From the Bob Barker studio (obvious edit) Barker's Bargain Bar (obvious edit) Spay your pets. Goodbye!"
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

dzinkin

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 08:03:40 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173485\' date=\'Dec 30 2007, 10:58 PM\']
[/quote]
Assuming he even made that statement at all. You're talking about Personality Parade here.
[/quote]
Just so we're clear, the part you quoted is from the magazine, not from me.  I wasn't aware that there were issues with Personality Parade -- I always figured it was just regurgitating what stars and/or their PR reps said, and treated it as such.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 08:21:27 AM by dzinkin »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:01:29 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173485\' date=\'Dec 30 2007, 07:58 PM\']
[/quote]
[/quote]
What proof do you have that Personality Parade fabricates quotes?

clemon79

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 03:01:40 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'173496\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 08:01 AM\']
[/quote]
I don't. But are you gonna tell me that Bob Flyover from Omaha, NE actually wrote in with "Hey, what's up with that Comic Who Has A New Project Coming Out? My Gawd, but he's a great guy and a hilarious comedian. I'd sure love to know about any new projects he might be involved in!" They run that crap All. The. Time.

If they're gonna fake the letters (and at best, representing that a letter that was clearly generated from a publicity firm came from Joe Reader is intellectually dishonest), then I think it's completely reasonable to have doubts about the rest of the content.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:05:23 PM by clemon79 »

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 03:15:26 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173498\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 03:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'173496\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 08:01 AM\']
[/quote]
I don't. But are you gonna tell me that Bob Flyover from Omaha, NE actually wrote in with "Hey, what's up with that Comic Who Has A New Project Coming Out? My Gawd, but he's a great guy and a hilarious comedian. I'd sure love to know about any new projects he might be involved in!" They run that crap All. The. Time.

If they're gonna fake the letters (and at best, representing that a letter that was clearly generated from a publicity firm came from Joe Reader is intellectually dishonest), then I think it's completely reasonable to have doubts about the rest of the content.
[/quote]

So...where's your proof, again?
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 03:19:10 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'173499\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 12:15 PM\']
So...where's your proof, again?
[/quote]
Clearly you missed the part where I said "I don't." You know, the first two words of my reply.

You are free to have whatever opinion you like about the veracity of that column. I assure you, the quality of my nightly slumber will not change either way.

/I know, don't let facts get in the way of a good snark
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:21:07 PM by clemon79 »

dzinkin

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 03:21:40 PM »
My only problem with the letters-from-publicity-firms theory is that on a number of occasions, I've seen a letter that asks "So what is <celebrity name> doing now?" and a response that said celebrity last did such-and-such project but doesn't currently have anything in the works.  It doesn't make sense to me that a PR firm would make that much effort to announce "Yeah, our guy has NOTHING going on!"

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 03:24:08 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173500\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 03:19 PM\']
/I know, don't let facts get in the way of a good snark
[/quote]

Nice to know you know the unwritten rule. Try following it next time you say things that you can't back up.

(Yeah, that's what you did.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 03:25:58 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'173501\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 12:21 PM\']
It doesn't make sense to me that a PR firm would make that much effort to announce "Yeah, our guy has NOTHING going on!"
[/quote]
Why not? Seems like a fine way to say "Hey, our guy is out there and available, if anyone has a bar mitzvah that hasn't booked the entertainment yet, keep our guy in mind!"

Frankly, that makes more sense to me than buying into the notion that Cletus T. Yokel wrote an unsolicited pub letter.

clemon79

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 03:28:55 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'173502\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 12:24 PM\']
Nice to know you know the unwritten rule. Try following it next time you say things that you can't back up.
[/quote]
Um, I simply said I had questions about the veracity of the column, and then, when asked why, presented my reasons for said questions. Then you crawled out from under your bridge and started running your yap. You might want to get back to that; I hear some billy goats coming....

dzinkin

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2007, 03:32:35 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'173503\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 03:25 PM\']
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'173501\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 12:21 PM\']
It doesn't make sense to me that a PR firm would make that much effort to announce "Yeah, our guy has NOTHING going on!"
[/quote]
Why not? Seems like a fine way to say "Hey, our guy is out there and available, if anyone has a bar mitzvah that hasn't booked the entertainment yet, keep our guy in mind!"
[/quote]
Point taken, but...

Frankly, that makes more sense to me than buying into the notion that Cletus T. Yokel wrote an unsolicited pub letter.
...I wonder if you're sorely underestimating the number of Cletus T. Yokels who have nothing better to do than wonder what so-and-so is doing these days. ;-)

But then, I am not an expert in the ways of PR, so what do I know?

clemon79

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2007, 03:48:39 PM »
[quote name=\'dzinkin\' post=\'173506\' date=\'Dec 31 2007, 12:32 PM\']
...I wonder if you're sorely underestimating the number of Cletus T. Yokels who have nothing better to do than wonder what so-and-so is doing these days. ;-)

But then, I am not an expert in the ways of PR, so what do I know?
[/quote]
Neither'm I, and I may be. I've just seen way too many letters-that-look-too-much-like-ads in that column to trust it.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 10:24:58 PM »
Chris: Eggnog and gazpacho together form a powerful mind-altering substance. You need to lay off one or the other.

The quote attributed to Barker was very measured. I'm inclined to think it's authentic. A tabloid writer couldn't make that up, IMO.

I chanced to see Drew today on parts of the delayed broadcast. He seemed overwhelmed by having to explain Check Game and he's got to work some variety into his prize tosses. His standard "What do we have for Skippy?" is tired.