Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Buzzer Lock-Out Software  (Read 44577 times)

uncleplinko

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2008, 02:29:20 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'186998\' date=\'May 29 2008, 02:11 PM\']
So if you plug the infrared receiver into your PC, it doesn't show up as a standard game controller? It comes at you looking for a driver? That's odd...that's not what I was told.
[/quote]

I get a "Found New Hardware" window that reads...

"Windows needs to install driver software for your Unknown Device"

It gives me the option to locate and install the software (recommended) or ask again later.  Trick is, I tried the locate and install, and it couldn't find anything.

It's rather pissing.
HomeGameEntertainment.com
"Bringing The Contestant Experience Home"

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2008, 03:05:09 PM »
[quote name=\'uncleplinko\' post=\'187001\' date=\'May 29 2008, 11:29 AM\']
I get a "Found New Hardware" window that reads...

"Windows needs to install driver software for your Unknown Device"

It gives me the option to locate and install the software (recommended) or ask again later.  Trick is, I tried the locate and install, and it couldn't find anything.

It's rather pissing.
[/quote]
Yeah, it's asking for a driver. Hmph. That's not what I was told the behavior would be, I was told that it would show up as an Xbox controller, which should have the driver already in Vista.

So pissing for you because it's not working, and pissing for me because I might be passing along bad information.

Maybe try:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/D...Windows%20Vista

That's the Xbox controller software for Vista. I'm not sure if it adds / upgrades the driver, but what do you have to lose?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

uncleplinko

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2008, 03:18:19 PM »
Super big bombad news...

The software installed just fine...I should be able to use any standard XBox 360 Wireless controller...but not the Big Buttons.

Ouch.

uncleplinko

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2008, 03:28:43 PM »
OK.  I just sent a message to XBox Support asking if there is a specific driver for the Big Buttons to the PC.  Don't have a response yet, but as soon as I get one, I will post it here for all to enjoy!

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »
[quote name=\'uncleplinko\' post=\'187006\' date=\'May 29 2008, 12:28 PM\']
OK.  I just sent a message to XBox Support asking if there is a specific driver for the Big Buttons to the PC.  Don't have a response yet, but as soon as I get one, I will post it here for all to enjoy!
[/quote]
They will almost certainly tell you that the Big Button Pad is not supported on the PC, because it isn't, any more than the Buzz controller is supported on the PC. (Which is still odd, as this would make it the first such accessory to not have PC support: the controllers, the wireless headset, and the steering wheel are all supported.) There is, unfortunately, a world of difference between "it works" and "it's supported."

So, yeah, nothing to lose, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. And I'm still baffled.

Granted, they might ship you a coffin for a dead Xbox out of reflex...

uncleplinko

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2008, 04:08:12 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'187008\' date=\'May 29 2008, 03:57 PM\']
Granted, they might ship you a coffin for a dead Xbox out of reflex...
[/quote]

Here's the funny bit...I don't even own an XBox 360!

I'm hoping they will send me some kind of message that says it will work with PC if I do X-Y-Z.  It's either that, or bust my BUZZ! set under the hands of some over-zealous "Press Your Lucker."

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2008, 04:23:57 PM »
[quote name=\'uncleplinko\' post=\'187009\' date=\'May 29 2008, 01:08 PM\']
I'm hoping they will send me some kind of message that says it will work with PC if I do X-Y-Z.  It's either that, or bust my BUZZ! set under the hands of some over-zealous "Press Your Lucker."
[/quote]
Well, you can hope, but I think the more likely outcome is that they eventually produce a Xbox controller driver that does provide that support, or that you find someone who cobbled together a hacked driver on teh Intarwebs. And unfortunately neither are very likely. (You could get lucky if they decide to do a Games For Windows port of Scene It!, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that either.)

parliboy

• Which of my enemies told you I was paranoid?
Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2008, 12:49:32 AM »
Wanted to bump this thread to say that I bought the PS3 version of Buzz, and it isn't doing squat.  Windows sees a device, but no button presses are registered.  Will see if there's a way to fix that, but I'm really getting annoyed with the idea that people don't actually want me to give them money.
"You're never ready, just less unprepared."

Hastin

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'200029\' date=\'Oct 18 2008, 09:49 PM\']
Will see if there's a way to fix that, but I'm really getting annoyed with the idea that people don't actually want me to give them money.
[/quote]

There's not (the PS3 uses it's own method for communicating with USB devices). However, the goal of the PS3 game is to be a PS3 game. So if the controllers don't work on anything but the PS3, you're still getting what's advertised on the box.
-Hastin :)

parliboy

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2008, 08:57:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'200097\' date=\'Oct 20 2008, 01:54 PM\'] [quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'200029\' date=\'Oct 18 2008, 09:49 PM\']
Will see if there's a way to fix that, but I'm really getting annoyed with the idea that people don't actually want me to give them money.
[/quote]

There's not (the PS3 uses it's own method for communicating with USB devices). However, the goal of the PS3 game is to be a PS3 game. So if the controllers don't work on anything but the PS3, you're still getting what's advertised on the box.
 [/quote]

Oh, no doubt.  And while I'm not happy, there's no "blame" per se -- they delivered what they said.  Still:

Since the wireless controllers work on the PS2 as well (at least, everyone says it does), then it's not strictly a PS3 issue.

What's more, the difference, to Sony, is that if they'd done this thing right, I would have bought a half dozen sets and started writing my own CPS wizbangs.  Instead, I've got one set, and that'll be for personal use.  I'm not the only teacher who had this thought in mind.  So a big "shoot self in foot" to the engineers for this one.

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2008, 10:39:34 PM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'200110\' date=\'Oct 20 2008, 05:57 PM\']
(at least, everyone says it does)[/quote]
Who's "everyone" Does Sony officially support it? I would bet not.
What's more, the difference, to Sony, is that if they'd done this thing right, I would have bought a half dozen sets and started writing my own CPS wizbangs.
Much as I hate to say it, I would have to wager that that particular revenue stream isn't lucrative enough to merit the extra expense Sony would have to go to to make them PC-friendly.

parliboy

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'200117\' date=\'Oct 20 2008, 09:39 PM\']Who's "everyone" Does Sony officially support it? I would bet not.[/quote]
The wireless buzzers on PS2?  I would bet so.

Much as I hate to say it, I would have to wager that that particular revenue stream isn't lucrative enough to merit the extra expense Sony would have to go to to make them PC-friendly.
But here's the thing: the wired buzzers were already PC-friendly.  For the wired AND the wireless to work with PS2, but only the wired to work with PC, implies that something was actually changed to make things less compatible in this iteration.  In other words, it seems like they took extra expense to make them LESS PC-friendly.

Is this their right?  Absolutely.  Their property to do with as they wish.  But to quote one of the times Bob Barker got it right... That's just dumb.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 09:30:14 AM by parliboy »

clemon79

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »
[quote name=\'parliboy\' post=\'200134\' date=\'Oct 21 2008, 06:26 AM\']
The wireless buzzers on PS2?  I would bet so.[/quote]
Huh. I'll be damned. Score one for them.
For the wired AND the wireless to work with PS2, but only the wired to work with PC, implies that something was actually changed to make things less compatible in this iteration.  In other words, it seems like they took extra expense to make them LESS PC-friendly.

Is this their right?  Absolutely.  Their property to do with as they wish.  But to quote one of the times Bob Barker got it right... That's just dumb.
Fair point, and now that I know that the wireless ones are backward-compatible, one I agree with.

dazztardly

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2008, 08:42:46 AM »
Well I'm just glad I was able to take advantage of the PS/2 Buzz controllers, while I could. I know a number of Target stores have been making these down to under $20, and I picked up a couple sets for future projects.

They were fun to hack into, for more heavy duty use. But the conversion was a pain in the ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coJvELx4oqE

I built four of these sets within the past year. The stench of solder, aerosol paint, and superglue stank up the house for days after each set was built. But every person that received a set of the buzzers[despite unexpected delays], were satisfied. It was cool to offer this contribution to the loop. Not only of offering the authentic buttons you've seen on television...but also quality worksmanship that's been my trademark over the years.

-Dan Berger

a1creative

Buzzer Lock-Out Software
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2009, 01:20:12 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'174778\' date=\'Jan 14 2008, 05:46 AM\']$otC Control

Let me know what y'all think.[/quote]

This link has expired. Can someone please re-post this file. It sounds like exactly what I've been looking for for ages.

Thanks.