Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Television Production Music Museum  (Read 14919 times)

tvrandywest

Television Production Music Museum
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2008, 09:20:33 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'175138\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 01:18 PM\'] ... I loved hearing that Celebrity Sweepstakes theme again for the first time in 31 years!  From watching the show back then I knew the tune from memory, but it’s nice to actually hear it again...[/quote]
Well, that's been my feeling about finding the lost but loved themes that have echoed in my memory. I, nor the site owner, really understand some of the negativity that has surfaced. In his words:

... I'm am completely surprised that collectors/fans aren't gratefully to be able to simply go to the site and listen to classic TV music without paying or being asked for something in return... quite blown away. Yes, some of the copyright legal material is cut and pasted because I simply didn't want (or need) to pay a lawyer to restate the same things. I had planned on putting a mountain of research material (music) on the site but to read some of the unhappy, cheap shot comments makes me want to completely rethink sharing this archival material.
Can you help he and me understand the "cheap shot comments"? I'd like to see this buddy of mine remain passionate about the work of preserving and sharing the music. Thanks.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:12:33 PM by chris319 »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2008, 09:59:18 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'175189\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 06:20 PM\']
Can you help he and me understand the "cheap shot comments"? I'd like to see this buddy of mine remain passionate about the work of preserving and sharing the music. Thanks.
[/quote]
Apparently your friend thinks that asking some very legitimate questions (particularly considering the recent situation with several users here and Jamie Locklin) about the background of his site constitutes a "cheap shot," when all we wanted to know was who we were dealing with. Which, considering some of the yahoos who have "opened" similar "museums," is a completely reasonable curiosity.

Your friend should note that once those questions were answered and we knew that he wasn't one of said yahoos, everyone was content, except for a slight (and quite justified) eyebrow-raise about plagiarizing legal boilerplate and claiming public domain when he really ought to know better.

Are we grateful? Sure we are! Gawd knows I am, I very much enjoyed all three episodes he posted. But if your friend is now going to play the "I'm gonna take my ball and go home" card, that's quite unfortunate, but I completely fail to see where any of the issues that have been raised with regard to his site are out of line. We had questions, he answered them, everything's fine.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:02:03 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

TimK2003

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2008, 09:59:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'175138\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 01:18 PM\'] ... I loved hearing that Celebrity Sweepstakes theme again for the first time in 31 years!  From watching the show back then I knew the tune from memory, but it’s nice to actually hear it again...[/quote]

Same here, I remembered nearly all of the main chorus...Damn is that theme addicting!! :)

[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'175189\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 10:20 PM\']

Well, that's been my feeling about finding the lost but loved themes that have echoed in my memory. I, nor the site owner, really understand some of the negativity that has surfaced. In his words:

... I'm am completely surprised that collectors/fans aren't gratefully to be able to simply go to the site and listen to classic TV music without paying or being asked for something in return... quite blown away. Yes, some of the copyright legal material is cut and pasted because I simply didn't want (or need) to pay a lawyer to restate the same things. I had planned on putting a mountain of research material (music) on the site but to read some of the unhappy, cheap shot comments makes me want to completely rethink sharing this archival material.  

[/quote]

I hope he's not taking the "____________'s  theme can be heard there but why isn't  _________________'s other music there" the wrong way.  For example, when I said that it was awesome to hear the Celebrity Sweepstakes 2nd theme again, but Whew! was nowhere to be found, it's not like we are expecting him to specifically find it for us or to think that he is holding it back for some reason if he did have it.

I also hope that our recent initial postings of us being "overly suspicious" of the website in general weren't misconstrued to think that the site was 'illegal' for some attorney's reason -- it's just that there are some bad apples in the internet world that make enough waves to shut harmless websites down  (this includes civilian websites that create downloadable computer games as a NON-PROFIT labor of love [i.e. Flashgames2], websites which contain streamable audio/video for NON-PROFIT enjoyment [YouTube], as well as independent websites which simply pay tribute to specific Pop Culture icons [see Squares, Hollywood].

We just want to protect people who love game shows and who wish to add harmless content onto the web for our enjoyment -- nothing more/nothing less, and that includes the TPMM!!!  

I just wish we had more TV execs and their lawyers on our side who know we are harmless people who are not out to make a better profit of their materials then what they can/will do.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 10:24:02 PM by TimK2003 »

snowpeck

« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2008, 10:04:48 PM »
I just sent an email to the site's owner letting him know what a wonderful thing I think he's doing.  I think we should be appreciative of the site and not be trying to find things wrong with it.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

tvrandywest

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2008, 10:21:45 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'175191\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 06:59 PM\']
 We had questions, he answered them, everything's fine.
[/quote]
We just want to protect people who love game shows and who wish to add harmless content onto the web -- nothing more/nothing less, and that includes the TPMM!!!

Done. Thanks.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2008, 10:27:33 PM »
I've re-read the thread several times.  Obviously, the harshest comments came from me, and while I certainly don't consider them "cheap shots", I definitely see how someone -- especially someone not familiar with the general tenor of the discussion around here -- would be offended by the perceived attack on work about which he is justifiably proud.  For that, I apologize.

Randy, in much the same way that you came here and "vouched" for your friend, surely you can go back and tell him that I'm not the unhappy bastard that some of these posts make me appear.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TimK2003

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2008, 12:25:21 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'175196\' date=\'Jan 16 2008, 11:27 PM\']
Randy, in much the same way that you came here and "vouched" for your friend, surely you can go back and tell him that I'm not the unhappy bastard that some of these posts make me appear.
[/quote]

But if Randy's friend already knew who Matt Ottinger was, or if he had read the recent thread about Matt -- He would already know, and would be afraid to even think of Matt's Name and the B-word in the same thought.  :-)

/couldn't resist.

comicus

« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2008, 11:39:23 AM »
I think my question got lost in the shuffle, so lemme ask again... I get all the Concentration '73 cues, and I see the track listing for Classic Concentration, but don't see them anywhere in the player. Am I missing something, or are they just not there?

DYosua

« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2008, 11:40:42 AM »
The Classic Concentration cues are in a separate player to the right of the '73 ones.

comicus

« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2008, 11:52:37 AM »
[quote name=\'DYosua\' post=\'175223\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 11:40 AM\']
The Classic Concentration cues are in a separate player to the right of the '73 ones.
[/quote]
Must be my browser, because I don't see a second player on the page.

EDIT: Yep, it's Firefox.  First that stupid "quick search" thing that keeps me from typing apostrophes in web fields, then the cut & paste not working half the time, now this.  This thing keeps giving me more and more reasons to go back to IE.  /end off-topic rant.

At any rate, the site is phenomenal, and I would love to see this guy get in touch with Ray and Marc Ellis and get some of their work on display...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 12:38:39 PM by CountdownRound »

snowpeck

« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2008, 12:47:03 PM »
He's now posted some music and outtakes from the various Jay Ward animated series.  Glad to see we've not  completely deterred him from posting anything new.  Hope to see more game show music in the future as well.

Greg
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2008, 01:04:41 PM »
Apparently your friend thinks that asking some very legitimate questions (particularly considering the recent situation with several users here and Jamie Locklin) about the background of his site constitutes a "cheap shot," when all we wanted to know was who we were dealing with. Which, considering some of the yahoos who have "opened" similar "museums," is a completely reasonable curiosity.

Your friend should note that once those questions were answered and we knew that he wasn't one of said yahoos, everyone was content, except for a slight (and quite justified) eyebrow-raise about plagiarizing legal boilerplate and claiming public domain when he really ought to know better.
And to what end? You're not the FBI, you're not ASCAP, you're not BMI, and you're not the copyright holder of any of the material on his site, so to put it bluntly, what's it to you? He's assuming any and all legal risk, not you. If anyone feels aggreived by his posting this material on the web, they're going to knock on his door, not yours. BTW, the proprietor of this site doesn't know or care who Jamie Locklin is and doesn't know or care about a certain individual who used to sell cassettes of Score Productions music on ebay. I didn't say it at the time, but I have a hard time understanding why all of this suspicion about this site and its operator was warranted. Now we've demotivated this guy from pursuing his project and this board is collectively on his s***list. Welcome to the land of unintended consequences.

You can post all of the rationalizations you want in response to this post but I doubt it will undo the malaise this guy feels towards us now, and to his project in general.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 01:27:27 PM by chris319 »

snowpeck

« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2008, 01:55:11 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put myself on any higher pedestal here, but I have been in support of this project from the get go.  I have spoken with the owner of that site on a couple of occasions in the past and he really is everything he says he is.  Maybe museum isn't the best choice of word for the site's title, but his goal has always been the preservation of all television music - not just game show music.  I realize his views of this board may be tainted by the few who spoke out in criticism, but I must say I don't think those few represent the views of the game show community as a whole.   I'm appreciative of his efforts and I'm glad that he finally has the resources to share his collection with the general public.  I hope he continues to do so.

Greg

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175232\' date=\'Jan 17 2008, 10:04 AM\']
And to what end? You're not the FBI, you're not ASCAP, you're not BMI, and you're not the copyright holder of any of the material on his site, so to put it bluntly, what's it to you?[/quote]
Mere curiosity, nothing more. Ya know, we talk about stuff like that here.
Now we've demotivated this guy from pursuing his project and this board is collectively on his s***list. Welcome to the land of unintended consequences.
He hasn't been on the Internet very long if all it took to demotivate him was a few people he doesn't know from Adam asking some questions about his site.
You can post all of the rationalizations you want in response to this post
Don't worry, I have nothing to rationalize to anyone here.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2008, 03:09:49 PM »
I have nothing to rationalize to anyone here.
You sure as hell don't.

I have sent an apology to the operator of the Television Production Music Museum.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 03:10:07 PM by chris319 »