Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Music Licensing  (Read 6232 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Music Licensing
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 03:01:18 PM »
What's with all this pile-on-Matt stuff? Did he burn down your houses over the weekend?

dzinkin

Music Licensing
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 03:19:12 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175770\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 03:01 PM\']
What's with all this pile-on-Matt stuff? Did he burn down your houses over the weekend?
[/quote]
Matt doesn't have to burn down anyone's house.  He uses his heat vision so the houses burn themselves down.

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Music Licensing
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2008, 03:22:09 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'175747\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 12:17 PM\']
No, no, no.  Everybody knows Matt Ottinger's sh*t doesn't stink.  So he couldn't possibly be delivering the material on the post-strike Temptation episodes...
[/quote]

Matt's Sh*t  >  Lotsa Love

/that would make for quite the livejournal colorbar
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 03:24:25 PM by ChrisLambert! »
@lambertman

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Music Licensing
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2008, 05:01:37 PM »
Matt doesn't have to burn down anyone's house. He uses his heat vision so the houses burn themselves down.
Oh, heat vision, huh? Myself I use mental telepathy. Just yesterday a house in the midwest immolated.

lobster

Music Licensing
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2008, 05:49:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175564\' date=\'Jan 19 2008, 09:42 PM\']
 It turns out that I didn't have to worry about music rights so long as the venue had a license. "The Beverly Garland Hotel probably has a music license, so you're OK" he explained.
[/quote]

Howdy Chris :D -- Just a thought -- what if you were broadcasting your show over the radio, would the venue you're broadcasting from having a license still be relevant?  I'd always thought it's what you DO with the music as opposed to WHERE you play it that was the cause of such concern for the music rights advocates.  I would have figured your case would have been treated similarly to, say, mobile DJs at weddings etc who play copyrighted music without concern for violating music rights etc, no?

cheers
lobs

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Music Licensing
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2008, 06:01:43 PM »
Major TV and radio stations have ASCAP and BMI licenses. The station is conisdered the "venue". If, say, a producer of radio commercials uses ASCAP or BMI music in a commercial, the radio station's ASCAP or BMI license would cover it.

In the case of Shokus Radio, a purely on-line undertaking, his streaming provider takes care of all the music licensing details. Thus, Stuart can (and has) played the Concentration theme in its entirety without worries.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 06:04:57 PM by chris319 »

mmb5

Music Licensing
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2008, 10:32:19 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'175795\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 06:01 PM\']
Major TV and radio stations have ASCAP and BMI licenses. The station is conisdered the "venue". If, say, a producer of radio commercials uses ASCAP or BMI music in a commercial, the radio station's ASCAP or BMI license would cover it.

In the case of Shokus Radio, a purely on-line undertaking, his streaming provider takes care of all the music licensing details. Thus, Stuart can (and has) played the Concentration theme in its entirety without worries.
[/quote]
Working for someone who also pays royalties as a streaming provider, I can't believe he doesn't have worries.  We have to self-report to each label and pay them accordingly.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Music Licensing
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2008, 11:53:57 PM »
Working for someone who also pays royalties as a streaming provider, I can't believe he doesn't have worries. We have to self-report to each label and pay them accordingly.
Are you saying your employer is a streaming provider who has to report every cue on behalf of your end users? Or do your end users have to report every cue? Stuart is an end user. I posed this question on this board quite a while back and was told that the streaming provider takes care of all music rights payments, so all the end user has to do is pay one amount to the provider (I think we were talking about Shoutcast?).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2008, 11:54:46 PM by chris319 »

lobster

Music Licensing
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2008, 01:11:51 AM »
[quote name=\'mmb5\' post=\'175822\' date=\'Jan 21 2008, 09:32 PM\']

Working for someone who also pays royalties as a streaming provider, I can't believe he doesn't have worries.  We have to self-report to each label and pay them accordingly.

[/quote]

so out of curiosity, what's the going rate per play for, say,  the Jeopardy! think music, for example?

Argo

Music Licensing
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2008, 01:40:17 AM »
Here's my question. I know the main theme has been released on cd, but what about other cues and the like. Also, like a home made version of TPIR that uses cues from the show, that were never intended to be used, let alone even heard in the clear by the general public. How does one get away or not get away from using these in live productions like the Match Game one, or are all those cues as well licenced under BMI or ASCAP say for like college shows and stuff.

mmb5

Music Licensing
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2008, 07:44:46 AM »
Chris' Q: Although we are not the true end-user, we are instructed by our end users what to play, so we know exactly what was played.  How would Shoutcast know what Stu played (if that's who he uses), unless they are streaming it themselves?  And yes, we keep track of everything.  The standard rate for an internet broadcaster is approximately 0.11 cents per listener per song.  If one person listened to it, you could get about 900 songs for a dollar, or if 900 people listened to one song, it would cost you a dollar.

Argo's Q: It would depend on who the music is published with, what deals the publisher has negotiated with that producer, etc.  I'm contractually bound not to reveal the rates my company pays, but it less than a cent per listener per song.  However, on something like Jeopardy, where the number of viewers is in the millions, you can see why Merv wanted to be the theme writer.

On a side note, did you know the theme to Star Trek has lyrics.  Even though you've never heard them, by Gene Roddenberry adding them after the music was written, he became a co-writer of the song, and eligible for royalties.

Excellent article here on how it all works: http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/music-royalties.htm

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

uncamark

Music Licensing
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2008, 11:56:31 AM »
In the case of podcasts, if the producer of the podcast wants to use BMI/ASCAP/SESAC music, s/he has to pay a license fee and log every use of music on their program.  One of my favorite podcasts is Brian Ibbott's "Coverville," which plays cover versions of songs.  On one of the shows, he played a certain cover that included quotes from about 15 other songs.  Although the quotes were short enough to be considered fair use parody, after playing the song Ibbott joked about having to write down every song on his log sheets for the licensors.

And do check out the show at www.coverville.com.  You may not like every song Ibbott plays, but it's fun hearing different interpretations of familiar songs.  (I personally am surprised how many acoustic chick singer versions of "Dream On" there are besides Kelly Sweet.)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Music Licensing
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2008, 10:44:58 PM »
Mark -

I may be producing a podcast containing ASCAP or BMI music. Where can I find out more about podcast licensing?

Or not.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Music Licensing
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 10:51:07 PM »
I heard that Roddenberry screwed Sandy Courage out of the Star Trek theme royalities by getting Courage to sign them over to him. The story goes that Roddenberry gave Courage a contract to sign. Courage signed it without first looking it over, thinking it was the standard boilerplate agreement. Later, Courage found out otherwise. This story was related by Wilbur Hatch, head of the Desilu music department.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Music Licensing
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2008, 04:15:46 PM »
Mark -

Thanks for the link.

That just cuts it! If I do a podcast there will be not one note of ASCAP or BMI music in it. And the subject of my contemplated podcast will be the very composer of the music in use! If I have to pay $300 per year and go through all this recordkeeping malarkey, it's just plain not worth it. $300 per year when I'm making zero, zip, zilch, nada off the project which is being produced at my own expense with no prospects of ever recovering my out-of-pocket costs.

Hell, it would be easier to get Frank Wayne to rise from the grave and do an oral history with him. And he'd have lots to talk about!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008, 04:34:16 PM by chris319 »