Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Richard Buggy  (Read 2939 times)

Eric Paddon

Richard Buggy
« on: February 16, 2008, 01:25:35 PM »
I collect old newscasts as much as I do old game shows and the other day I was going through a local news special on the 1977 New York City blackout, focusing on all the anarchy and looting that basically erupted during that event.

During one of the reports, a news reporter mentioned that "Detective Richard Buggy" had suffered spinal damage from being thrown down stairs amidst all the chaos that unfolded.  

I can only presume this was the same Detective Buggy who was the subject of the memorable 1974 TTTT episode where Chris Hart and Joe Garagiola, Jr. were the imposters who fooled their mother and father respectively with their great undercover cop makeup jobs.

Scrabbleship

Richard Buggy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 01:47:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Eric Paddon\' post=\'177983\' date=\'Feb 16 2008, 01:25 PM\']
I collect old newscasts as much as I do old game shows and the other day I was going through a local news special on the 1977 New York City blackout, focusing on all the anarchy and looting that basically erupted during that event.

During one of the reports, a news reporter mentioned that "Detective Richard Buggy" had suffered spinal damage from being thrown down stairs amidst all the chaos that unfolded.  

I can only presume this was the same Detective Buggy who was the subject of the memorable 1974 TTTT episode where Chris Hart and Joe Garagiola, Jr. were the imposters who fooled their mother and father respectively with their great undercover cop makeup jobs.
[/quote]

Right you probably are. That treatment sounds a lot like what was mentioned on that TTTT and in this 2004 New York Times article which quotes Buggy. Spinal damage or not, he seemed to make it to retirement and is still alive and with us.

Eric Paddon

Richard Buggy
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »
Glad to know that.    The blackout night in 77 had to be one of the scariest experiences any police officer could have gone through.