Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Games in HD  (Read 6057 times)

tpirfan28

Games in HD
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 06:49:18 PM »
I don't have to worry about the wholesome games on FOX, as I can't pick it up.  It's gonna suck when House starts again.... :( ...same goes for ABC (but they are LP anyway).

Like other posters have said...widescreen is SO the way to go (games or sports or anything).  And if HD is the only way to adapt to widescreen, so be it.

And something I've found really odd:  my CBS affiliate only sends out an HD signal over digital, not an SD.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

jalman

Games in HD
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 06:55:11 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'179646\' date=\'Mar 2 2008, 06:49 PM\']
And something I've found really odd:  my CBS affiliate only sends out an HD signal over digital, not an SD.
[/quote]
That's not odd.  You, sir, are blessed.  Your affiliate won't compress the HD signal that way.

uncamark

Games in HD
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 01:33:36 PM »
AFAIK, right now the only syndicated shows in Glorious HD are "Wheel," "J!", the "2.5 Men" reruns and, as of this month, the "Everybody Loves Raymond" reruns.  TVG Interactive lists Mike and Juliet as HD, but there's no HD icon at the top of the show.  The foot-dragging among syndicators is sort of surprising, considering that I had read that CBS Distribution was particularly gung ho about taking shows to HD, including "The Insider."

/Even more of a guy in HD

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Games in HD
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2008, 01:44:18 PM »
In a lot of cases, the individual TV stations are being cheap, too. That's a big part of why J! and WoF aren't in HD in Seattle.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

HYHYBT

Games in HD
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2008, 06:14:28 PM »
I get that HD would be wonderful for sporting events, big-budget movies, nature programming, maybe even for regular TV dramas and sitcoms. But how 'def' do game shows really need to be? I mean, Sony's trying to push the sets, so Wheel and Jeopardy are a marketing decision. Beyond that, I really don't see how your viewing experience would be dramatically altered just because you can see every hash mark on The Range Game.
For the same reason, Concentration didn't need color...

It's may not be as big a difference as that, and it depends on the size of your TV. I don't much care either way because I normally watch TV on my laptop, but with a large screen the lower resolution shows more, and especially when the shows you watch before and after, or the other shows you pass as you're flipping through, are sharper.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages

Matt Ottinger

Games in HD
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2008, 06:34:17 PM »
[quote name=\'HYHYBT\' post=\'179963\' date=\'Mar 4 2008, 06:14 PM\']
For the same reason, Concentration didn't need color...

It's may not be as big a difference as that, and it depends on the size of your TV. [/quote]
Yeah, I'm glad you included that yourself, since that would be the start of my retort.

There are moments in the history of home entertainment that represent quantum shifts from one way of doing things to the next, and those are nearly always motivated by the public responding to a significant improvement.  The jump from black and white to color was one of those shifts, as was the shift from VHS to DVD.  When that shift isn't significant enough, the public as a whole responds with shrugged shoulders.  That's what's happening with improved DVDs right now, most people just don't see them as better enough.  It would have been very interesting to see what the public would have decided about digital TV; as it is, the decision has been made for us by the gub'ment.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

WhammyPower

Games in HD
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 06:18:31 PM »
I can't really tell since I don't have HD, but it looks like the newest season of Cash Cab (airing at 6pm ET) is shot in HD.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:20:12 PM by WhammyPower »

uncamark

Games in HD
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 03:27:29 PM »
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'181259\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 05:18 PM\']
I can't really tell since I don't have HD, but it looks like the newest season of Cash Cab (airing at 6pm ET) is shot in HD.
[/quote]

Is Discovery running that "Now Available in High Definition" graphic at the bottom of the screen at the top of the show?

And forgive my cynicism, but I wonder if they're doing phony HD similar to what TNT and TBS do to most of their programming schedule (at least people who have HD sets tell me this).

aaron sica

Games in HD
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'181932\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 03:27 PM\']
Is Discovery running that "Now Available in High Definition" graphic at the bottom of the screen at the top of the show?

And forgive my cynicism, but I wonder if they're doing phony HD similar to what TNT and TBS do to most of their programming schedule (at least people who have HD sets tell me this).
[/quote]

TNT I haven't seen too terribly much phony HD, but TBS is a completely different story. AFAIK, the only thing on TBS that is HD is the MLB package, which hasn't started yet. Turn on TBS HD and you get the equivalent of TBS standard, stretched out to 16:9.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Games in HD
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 05:20:47 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'181939\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 01:18 PM\']
TNT I haven't seen too terribly much phony HD, but TBS is a completely different story. AFAIK, the only thing on TBS that is HD is the MLB package, which hasn't started yet. Turn on TBS HD and you get the equivalent of TBS standard, stretched out to 16:9.
[/quote]
TNT runs more hi-def programming, but they also do the Stretch-O-Vision thing on the stuff that isn't hidef, because they clearly know better than I do how I want to watch my TV.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Unrealtor

Games in HD
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2008, 09:19:58 PM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'181932\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 02:27 PM\']
[quote name=\'WhammyPower\' post=\'181259\' date=\'Mar 13 2008, 05:18 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I don't have a HD set myself to confirm anything, but my impression from hanging out at my parents' place is that the general-audience networks (TBS, TNT, USA) are the only ones that stretch non-HD programs to fit a 16:9 screen, rather than pillarboxing them. If Cash Cab is phony HD, I hope it's by the method Discovery uses when it puts non-HD material (old footage, night vision, etc.) into its true HD shows - cropping the top and bottom off to fill a 16:9 screen.

I haven't seen much of Discovery HD since it went from a mix of stuff that shows off HD (e.g., Sunrise Earth) and mainline Discovery shows to a simulcast of the mothership, but I haven't yet seen anything that wasn't true HD on there.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

cmjb13

Games in HD
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2008, 07:41:15 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'181939\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 04:18 PM\']
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'181932\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 03:27 PM\']

[/quote]

[/quote]
So with a show like Everybody Loves Raymond that was shot in HD, TBS isn't showing the HD version?
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

aaron sica

Games in HD
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2008, 08:32:48 AM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'181991\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 07:41 AM\']
So with a show like Everybody Loves Raymond that was shot in HD, TBS isn't showing the HD version?
[/quote]

You'd think that would be the case, but it's not. Reruns of "The Office" on TBS are the same way.

Offshored2007

Games in HD
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2008, 03:12:42 PM »
I wish NBC would shoot "Deal or No Deal" in HD - inane game playing aside, there are 26 other reasons why.

Offshored2007

Games in HD
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2008, 03:15:04 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'181993\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 08:32 AM\']
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' post=\'181991\' date=\'Mar 20 2008, 07:41 AM\']
[/quote]

You'd think that would be the case, but it's not. Reruns of "The Office" on TBS are the same way.
[/quote]
TBS gets regularly bashed over at AVS Forum as the worst example of an HD channel.