Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Canada: "Paquet Voleur" becomes "Trade Up"  (Read 3479 times)

Blaq

Canada: "Paquet Voleur" becomes "Trade Up"
« on: March 18, 2008, 11:44:11 AM »
Paquet Voleur, the follow-the-money + luck + strategy + bluffing + general knowledge quiz I taped this winter, has been sold to three international markets.
  • The US buyer, IMG Media, produces big sports events like the PGA championship, along with American Gladiators and Super Bowl's Greatest Commercials.
  • The UK buyer, Tiger Aspect, produced Mr. Bean, police drama Murphy's Law, Make Me A Supermodel, and coproduced the movie Billy Elliot.
  • The Spanish buyer, Zebra Producciones, holds the rights to Pyramid and Karaoke Stars.
So you may eventually get to check out Paquet Voleur in English. (Although it appears that Spain is the market closest to production.) More news later.

tvmitch

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 01:45:55 PM »
Good news. My French is barely at comprehension levels, and I thoroughly enjoyed the eps I just received in a trade...would work well on primetime, daytime, or even GSN.
You should follow me on Twitter

BrandonFG

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 03:21:31 PM »
I somehow missed this thread the first time around, but the format sounds very intriguing. Naturally, a US producer will find a way to FUBAR the show. :-P

/Shrieking women!
//Pretty boys with spiked hair and open-collar shirt/slacks combos!
///Standing ovations!!
////Zoom through the "D" in "Trade Up"!

What 90s comedian can we get? What's Dave Coulier up to nowadays?
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Blaq

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 03:38:16 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'181804\' date=\'Mar 18 2008, 01:45 PM\']
Good news. My French is barely at comprehension levels, and I thoroughly enjoyed the eps I just received in a trade...would work well on primetime, daytime, or even GSN.
[/quote]
Glad to hear it! Did you get the HD version? Did you get episodes with the new & improved bonus game, which eliminates several of the flaws I found with the show?

Blaq

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 12:27:55 AM »
La Presse reports that the US producers are interested in having Véronique Cloutier host an eventual American version of Trade Up; a pilot may be in the works. I wonder how "tick" her accent would be in English, but I can vouch for her TVQ -- she's gorgeous and vivacious. American producers could do a lot worse. (See "90s comedian" quip above)

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 10:51:47 AM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' post=\'195456\' date=\'Aug 29 2008, 12:27 AM\']
La Presse reports that the US producers are interested in having Véronique Cloutier host an eventual American version of Trade Up; a pilot may be in the works. I wonder how "tick" her accent would be in English, but I can vouch for her TVQ -- she's gorgeous and vivacious. American producers could do a lot worse. (See "90s comedian" quip above)
[/quote]

That would be okay.  Many of the newer US shows have been hosted by Canadians. (Howie, Pat Kiernan, Shatner)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

rugrats1

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 06:18:48 PM »
[quote name=\'Blaq\' post=\'195456\' date=\'Aug 29 2008, 12:27 AM\']
La Presse reports that the US producers are interested in having Véronique Cloutier host an eventual American version of Trade Up; a pilot may be in the works.
[/quote]

I'm surprised no American network picked up "La Fureur", a music game show in which, in Quebec, Veronique was once host and her father, Guy, was producer. I've seen several episodes of this in the early-2000s, first with Veronique as host and later with a male Quebecois presenter (don't know the name) at the help. Veronique was a great host of a great show; I always wondered if Univision would buy the series (minus Vero, of course) and adapted it for the Latino audience.

vtown7

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 12:02:56 AM »
If memory serves, didn't USA pick it up during the late 90's as "Happy Hour"?

The male Quebecois presenter was Sebastien Benoit, who was most recently seen as hosting "Pyramide".

Ryan :)

uncamark

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 04:13:08 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'195516\' date=\'Aug 29 2008, 11:02 PM\']
If memory serves, didn't USA pick it up during the late 90's as "Happy Hour"?[/quote]

"Happy Hour" (and the French Canadian show) was based on an European format, the title of which escapes me.  I know it was a (European) Grundy format (now Fremantle), but there's no help out there on the web--at least right now.