Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pyramid Judging  (Read 7877 times)

mcsittel

Pyramid Judging
« on: March 18, 2008, 08:08:54 PM »
I just watched a tournament episode of $100K Pyramid where the lady won the $100K thanks to Linda Kelsey, who gave as a clue of "Red Light Traffic" for "THINGS THAT STOP".

I was kind of surprised this was an acceptable clue.  If you were judging, would *you* have allowed it?

tpirfan28

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:16:02 PM »
Reactionary:  I would let it through.

After review:  Eh...it really doesn't fit the box (would fit THINGS THAT ARE STOPPED), but I'd mill over it and probably still let it through.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

bandit_bobby

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:05:42 PM »
I would NOT have allowed that, because I felt that clue was too specific.

Unrealtor

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »
Yes. Traffic stops at a red light.

For it describing "things that are stopped", if a contestant gave that for "things that stop", I'd give them the box, so it seems fair to allow the occasional clue that wanders over into different forms of the keyword.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Pyramid Judging
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 01:03:01 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'181855\' date=\'Mar 18 2008, 07:05 PM\']I would NOT have allowed that, because I felt that clue was too specific.[/quote]On what grounds?
Travis L. Eberle

adamkendall

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 01:12:55 AM »
[quote name=\'mcsittel\' post=\'181843\' date=\'Mar 18 2008, 07:08 PM\']

I would not have allowed it, and I remember watching this episode and being surprised that they let it though.  Is there really such a thing as "red-light traffic"?  

I remember another episode where a celebrity wanted to use "pre-Columbus' Earth" as a clue for "THINGS THAT ARE FLAT."  Dick Clark confirmed that the clue would not have been allowed because there is "no such thing" as the pre-Columbus Earth.  There is also no such thing as red-light traffic, or is there?

Adam Kendall
Minneapolis, Minnesota

I just watched a tournament episode of $100K Pyramid where the lady won the $100K thanks to Linda Kelsey, who gave as a clue of "Red Light Traffic" for "THINGS THAT STOP".

I was kind of surprised this was an acceptable clue.  If you were judging, would *you* have allowed it?
[/quote]

J.R.

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:33:48 AM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'181871\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 12:03 AM\']
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'181855\' date=\'Mar 18 2008, 07:05 PM\']I would NOT have allowed that, because I felt that clue was too specific.[/quote]On what grounds?
[/quote]
I wouldn't stay up late waiting for a response.
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 08:04:32 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'181855\' date=\'Mar 18 2008, 10:05 PM\']
[/quote]
In that case...

Yes, I would definitely allow it. No questions asked!

I think the one rule is that the clue must make contextual sense, where it doesn't sound awkward, no? In this case, it sounds fine, and despite Spongebob's post, it's not too specific. Like unrealtor said, traffic stops at a red light as opposed to green (or in Virginia, yellow), so the clue fits.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Matt Ottinger

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 08:39:32 AM »
I'm thinking I don't take it, though I'm having a hard time justifying that call given the rules as we know them to be.  'Red Light Traffic' is clearly a way of trying to get around 'Traffic at a red light', which of course is not allowed.  I've seen some convoluted terms invented to avoid the prepositional phrase, but this one just appears on the surface to be a little too made-up.  Like I said, though, I'm not sure I have a strong argument.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

dzinkin

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 09:00:01 AM »
[quote name=\'bandit_bobby\' post=\'181855\' date=\'Mar 18 2008, 10:05 PM\']
[/quote]
http://gizmodo.com/360079/spongebob-square...the-wrong-place

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
Pyramid Judging
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 11:25:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'181888\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 08:39 AM\']
I've seen some convoluted terms invented to avoid the prepositional phrase, but this one just appears on the surface to be a little too made-up.
[/quote]

I agree. When would one use that phrase in real life? You can "green light" something, but I've never heard anybody "red light" something. Although it's immaterial, because like the first few to respond, I'd have let it through on instinct. Frankly, isn't "a braking car" a perfectly legal, and arguably better, clue? (We've of course had the benefit of mulling this over, without the pressure of 60 seconds and $100,000)

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

Chuck Sutton

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 12:45:53 PM »
To go in a completely different direction.  People who shop at mall or stores are sometimes referred to as "Mall Traffic" or "Store Traffic".  In certain areas of the world, the "seedy" areas are called the Red Light District.  Couldn't the men that shop there be called "Red Light Traffic"?  And isn't the point that they stop and buy "something"?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Pyramid Judging
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'181888\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 05:39 AM\']
I'm thinking I don't take it, though I'm having a hard time justifying that call given the rules as we know them to be.  'Red Light Traffic' is clearly a way of trying to get around 'Traffic at a red light', which of course is not allowed.  I've seen some convoluted terms invented to avoid the prepositional phrase, but this one just appears on the surface to be a little too made-up.  Like I said, though, I'm not sure I have a strong argument.
[/quote]
I don't think you do. I'm not sure where that's different from "The Hall of Fame books" or "Walt Disney dog", both of which not only walked, but won someone $100K.
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'181899\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 08:25 AM\']
I agree. When would one use that phrase in real life? You can "green light" something, but I've never heard anybody "red light" something.[/quote]
Oh, I have.
Frankly, isn't "a braking car" a perfectly legal, and arguably better, clue?
Probably, but this isn't a discussion of what the best clue is, this is one of whether the cited one is legal, no more and no less.
[quote name=\'Chuck Sutton\' post=\'181908\' date=\'Mar 19 2008, 09:45 AM\']And isn't the point that they stop and buy "something"?[/quote]
Or a little something-something, as it were. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 01:11:06 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Jimmy Owen

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 01:03:02 PM »
"Red light" is something that stops and "traffic" is something that stops, so I would err on the side of yellow light and allow the list.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

scottwa

Pyramid Judging
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »
[THINGS THAT STOP]

Grammatically, you are looking at a verb that is both transitive and intransitive, aka ambitransitive.

A defective clock can stop. (intransitive)
A crime-fighter can stop thieves. (transitive)
A red light can stop traffic. (transitive)

The verb, as written, can be taken either way.  And, there is no direct or indirect object given within the subject.

> If the clue given is “a red light”:

"Red" and "light" are not synonymous for the verb "stop" -- no *defined* connection.

No synonyms and no grammar misuse.  Looks legal to me; I'd allow it.

> As for the specific “red-light traffic” clue:

There is precedence for “red-light” being used in adjective form as in “red-light district” (insert joke here).  And you could have a red-light warning, red-light condition, etc.

Traffic exists in a red-light condition.  That seems to be allowable as well.

I've always wondered about what would pass for a possessive relationship clue, i.e. “a red-light’s traffic”.  I remember the old WC round with Teresa Ganzel for [THINGS THAT ARE REVIEWED] when she gave the clue "a critic's play".  However, a critic is a person, and potentially a playwright.

Just piling on a little bit more…

--scottwa