Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune  (Read 5818 times)

Jeremy Nelson

Million Dollar Wheel of Fortune
« on: March 24, 2008, 12:36:56 PM »
In Australia, Wheel of Fortune is being revamped for later this year. The show is moving to the Nine network to take on the Deal or No Deal behemoth over at the Seven network. The big twist, however, is that the show is going to try and give away one million dollars.

http://www.ebroadcast.com.au/enews/nine/Ti...ine-240308.html

According to the show's Wikipedia page, the show is being produced by Fremantle (Grundy's), which turns almost every Australian show it encounters into gold. That being said, let's see how they work a million dollars into wheel's format.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 12:46:49 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

uncamark

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 12:47:05 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'182299\' date=\'Mar 24 2008, 11:36 AM\']
In Australia, Wheel of Fortune is being revamped for later this year. The show is moving to the Nine network to take on the Deal or No Deal behemoth over at the Seven network. The big twist, however, is that the show is going to try and give away one million dollars.

According to the show's Wikipedia page, the show is being produced by Fremantle (Grundy's), which turns almost every Australian show it encounters into gold. That being said, let's see how they handle a "million dollar show".
[/quote]

Grundy (or Fremantle) has always produced "Wheel" in Australia. No big surprise there.

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 12:52:05 PM »
I sincerely hope that "mo' money syndrome" doesn't hit *our* WOF.

IMHO, it's really getting tiring seeing shows jazzed up with offering a million dollar prize. The more often a prize is offered, the less of a big deal it becomes...Case in point? Two mid-80's shows. In 1985, with $100K Pyramid being the first. Maybe it was because I was 11 and not too familiar with money, but $100K seemed like a VERY big prize at the time. Then, mid-season in January 1986, $1M COAL. This was an even BIGGER deal to me.

Then, the big-money shows come out, Millionaire offers its one million dollars and it's a big deal (as well it should be) when John Carpenter won his million. $100,000 is a stop along the way, but it's not THE prize so it doesn't seem like much. Then you have shows like Greed, where $1 is a stop along the way as well.

Now TPiR is offering the chance for *two* $1M prizes per show. When Adam won his million, I thought it was pretty cool. The very next show, they give $1M away *again*. Didn't seem like a real big deal.

My point, after all that rambling? "Mo' money" does not a show make. I really hope that our traditional shows that don't have a $1M offering *stay* that way.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 01:03:16 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'182299\' date=\'Mar 24 2008, 09:36 AM\']
which turns almost every Australian show it encounters into gold. That being said, let's see how they work a million dollars into wheel's format.
[/quote]
"Almost" being the key word there. Their last shot at WoF (which even had a VERY established host in Larry Emdur) flopped pretty fantastically.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Ian Wallis

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 01:35:55 PM »
"Mo' money" does not a show make. I really hope that our traditional shows that don't have a $1M offering *stay* that way.

Agreed.  I'm fine with $1 million being the cap.  I wonder if in a few years, $10 million will be the next big thing, and all the shows will start offering that as a prize.  A decade after that, maybe $20 million...and where does it end?  

/Couldn't happen, could it?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 02:37:00 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'182303\' date=\'Mar 24 2008, 12:03 PM\']
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'182299\' date=\'Mar 24 2008, 09:36 AM\']
which turns almost every Australian show it encounters into gold. That being said, let's see how they work a million dollars into wheel's format.
[/quote]
"Almost" being the key word there. Their last shot at WoF (which even had a VERY established host in Larry Emdur) flopped pretty fantastically.
[/quote]
I think that moreso had to do with what they were giving away, rather than the game itself.

IIRC, Larry Emdur's WoF was a lead in to Deal. $200,000 cash vs. some small prizes and a 1 in 12 chance at a car doesn't cut it.  Compared to Bert's Family Feud and Deal, Wheel probably seemed pretty cheap and old-fashioned.
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

tvmitch

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 05:16:06 PM »
It would be very easy to introduce a $1M element into Aussie WoF since their bonus round is a spin-and-play-for-this instead of picking an envelope ahead of time. The million could be right there on the wheel...it would be the only cash prize on there ("JACKPOT") if tradition dictates.
You should follow me on Twitter

TravisP

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 06:11:14 PM »

According to the show's Wikipedia page, the show is being produced by Fremantle (Grundy's), which turns almost every Australian show it encounters into gold. That being said, let's see how they work a million dollars into wheel's format.
[/quote]

With WoF going to Channel Nine, I won't be surprised if they try to air it in Temptation's 7pm slot. I can't see them going against The Deal, I heard repeats of Antiques Roadshow is doing well for Nine at the moment.

As it stands, the channel will be airing no less than THREE game shows for this season, all having possible $1 million giveaways.

1 Vs 100 returning for a second series, with $1 Million as the top prize,
Power of Ten making their debut with $1 Million as their top prize
and Wheel of Fortune.

weaklink75

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 06:25:15 PM »
[quote name=\'TravisP\' post=\'182334\' date=\'Mar 24 2008, 06:11 PM\']

[/quote]

With WoF going to Channel Nine, I won't be surprised if they try to air it in Temptation's 7pm slot. I can't see them going against The Deal, I heard repeats of Antiques Roadshow is doing well for Nine at the moment.

As it stands, the channel will be airing no less than THREE game shows for this season, all having possible $1 million giveaways.

1 Vs 100 returning for a second series, with $1 Million as the top prize,
Power of Ten making their debut with $1 Million as their top prize
and Wheel of Fortune.
[/quote]

I read that they were planning to put it in against DoND, because DoND has been helping 7 win the 6pm news ratings battle because it's been such a good lead in...and ironically the new WOF host has been playing the late uncle of the current DoND host onstage in a musical...

Jay Temple

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:45:26 PM »
Using the $100,000 from the 1980's:
Four or five players from each season won it on the $100KP.
Exactly one player from each season won it on J!
I may have seen one $100K winner on WoF during that decade.

And yet, I've listed them in ascending order of ratings.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

tvwxman

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 01:42:37 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'182302\' date=\'Mar 24 2008, 12:52 PM\']
[/quote]
Quite honestly, I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened here yet...not because Wheel 'needs' to, but rather, 'wants' to.

It's just another gimmick, and considering Wheel here seems to enjoy introducing more gimmicks, why not?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

petek66

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 02:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'182785\' date=\'Mar 29 2008, 12:42 PM\']
[/quote]
Quite honestly, I'm kinda surprised it hasn't happened here yet...not because Wheel 'needs' to, but rather, 'wants' to.

It's just another gimmick, and considering Wheel here seems to enjoy introducing more gimmicks, why not?
[/quote]

I can see it now:

"... and that doorstop costs $75. You have $991,713 left, do you want that on account or on a Gucci
gift certificate?"

BrandonFG

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 02:27:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tvwxman\' post=\'182785\' date=\'Mar 29 2008, 01:42 PM\']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I would just hope they'd offer some sort of risk-based game, i.e. only $100K winners can play for the million...risk it on one final puzzle, with letters already filled in, perhaps the R-S-T-L-N-E. If you don't get it, you win, say $25,000 as consolation.

/Hmmm...I like that.
//Lemme give Friedman a call...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »
[quote name=\'petek66\' post=\'182789\' date=\'Mar 29 2008, 02:22 PM\']
"... and that doorstop costs $75. You have $991,713 left, do you want that on account or on a Gucci
gift certificate?"
[/quote]

I'm thinking the top prize will be a diamond-encrusted, titanium ceramic dalmatian.
czambo@mac.com

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 05:55:09 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'182790\' date=\'Mar 29 2008, 01:27 PM\']//Lemme give Friedman a call...
[/quote]Well, you've already proven your are competent.

Unfortunately, that disqualifies you from employment.
--Mark
Phil 4:13