Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal Or No Deal  (Read 6702 times)

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2008, 08:42:23 PM »
Speak fer yerself. I'm gonna be saying shit in Liberty City tomorrow night. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

comicus

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2008, 09:22:02 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'185248\' date=\'May 2 2008, 03:38 PM\']
Ratings are still high, and I don't think someone winning the $1M will change that...case in point:

- Norma Brown on CS
- Michael Larsen on PYL
- Thom McKee on TTD
- John Carpenter on WWtBaM
- All "shopping" era winners on $otC

...none of whom caused their respective shows' ratings to fall after their appearances.
[/quote]

Yes, because the above were all engaging, interesting programs with solid gameplay (or in Press Your Luck's instance, a clever cartoon character) that kept bringing viewers back after their big moments.  They each had a considerably greater play-along-at-home factor than DoND (again, with the exception of PYL, but then again, just how long did it stay on the air anyway?).  DoND lacks something the aforementioned five all had: a compelling game that kept bringing viewers back on its own merits.

DoND has two hooks that keep eyes glued to the set: the "OMG $1,000,000 BIG MUNNY" factor, and the delicious schadenfreude that comes with watching squealing housewives pass up hundreds of thousands of dollars, only to wind up with a comparative pittance.  I have serious doubts that the latter attraction alone will be able to prop up the ratings once they give away their ONE... MEEELLION DOLLARS!  /*

People are only going to be able to absorb so much of "Uhh... ahh... ahll take case 14, Howie!" ad infinitum before it becomes unbearably tiresome.  The producers obviously realized that early on in the run; witness all of the insipid gimmickry we've been treated to almost from the beginning, gimmickry that will likely continue until the inevitable day NBC drops the axe.  Without the aura of the contestant you're watching possibly becoming The First to win the million, I see the show losing a lot of viewers, and the eventuality of cancellation accelerating greatly.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 09:22:46 PM by CountdownRound »

clemon79

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2008, 04:36:26 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'185268\' date=\'May 2 2008, 06:22 PM\']
Without the aura of the contestant you're watching possibly becoming The First to win the million, I see the show losing a lot of viewers, and the eventuality of cancellation accelerating greatly.[/quote]
Well, here's to hoping.

catkins522

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2008, 07:31:39 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'185268\' date=\'May 2 2008, 09:22 PM\']
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' post=\'185248\' date=\'May 2 2008, 03:38 PM\']
Ratings are still high, and I don't think someone winning the $1M will change that...case in point:

- Norma Brown on CS
- Michael Larsen on PYL
- Thom McKee on TTD
- John Carpenter on WWtBaM
- All "shopping" era winners on $otC

...none of whom caused their respective shows' ratings to fall after their appearances.
[/quote]

DoND has two hooks that keep eyes glued to the set: the "OMG $1,000,000 BIG MUNNY" factor, and the delicious schadenfreude that comes with watching squealing housewives pass up hundreds of thousands of dollars, only to wind up with a comparative pittance.  I have serious doubts that the latter attraction alone will be able to prop up the ratings once they give away their ONE... MEEELLION DOLLARS!  /*

[/quote]

Actully, three hooks...can somebody say MODELS?

Charles
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

comicus

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
[quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'185284\' date=\'May 3 2008, 07:31 AM\']
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'185268\' date=\'May 2 2008, 09:22 PM\']

[/quote]

Actully, three hooks...can somebody say MODELS?

Charles
[/quote]

Well, if you're that hard-up, I suppose...

MikeK

• Martha!
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2008, 11:02:20 AM »
[quote name=\'CountdownRound\' post=\'185286\' date=\'May 3 2008, 10:47 AM\'][quote name=\'catkins522\' post=\'185284\' date=\'May 3 2008, 07:31 AM\']Actully, three hooks...can somebody say MODELS?[/quote]
Well, if you're that hard-up, I suppose...[/quote]
Usually, the hard and up parts occur after seeing the models.

Mr. Armadillo

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2008, 09:07:02 PM »
Gold star, sir.

/Or would that be two to twelve gold balls?
//This is so confusing.

clemon79

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2008, 10:57:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Mr. Armadillo\' post=\'185312\' date=\'May 3 2008, 06:07 PM\']
/Or would that be two to twelve gold balls?[/quote]
http://www.trucknutz.com/

Approves

TravisP

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 04:21:33 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'185253\' date=\'May 2 2008, 03:47 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'185240\' date=\'May 2 2008, 12:04 PM\']
The UK and Aussie versions have had how many top prize wins? As far as I know, both shows still run strong.
[/quote]
I think there's only three between the two shows (2 Aussie, one UK), and both have been running longer than ours. I don't think our version will lose much steam, either.
[/quote]

The Aussie's had their first winner in June 2004, followed by their second winner in September 2007 but it was a celebrity playing for a home viewer.

We still got our only winner at the moment but the ratings for both shows are still doing respectfully well. We are having a special week coming up to celebrate The Banker's Birthday involving a fancy dress show, a £500,000 game and some familliar faces returning.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
Will CBS cancel TPIR when Barker retires? How many years did we beat that dead horse?

People don't watch a show only in anticipation of someone else winning big money. Want proof?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_Me_the_M...S._game_show%29

Clementson's First Law of Game Shows: You can't buy an audience.

tpirfan28

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »
Once Deal gives away the million, people will still watch because there will be a new gimmick that will draw crowds.  Donno what it'll be, but they've probably already got it figured out.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2008, 12:53:12 AM »
The faulty cause and effect part of the original question has been done to death. That said, I think the show relies on the gimmick because the game is made uninteresting when all you have to do is wait until the offer is big enough to hit the button and quit. If the game board weren't so completely in favor of the contestant to the degree that a $100,000 offer is almost guaranteed during the game, it would be interesting. If knocking out the big money actually carried some weight, as opposed to "Bah, I didn't want $300,000, I came for the million!" the game would be interesting.

(To that end, I think it would be more interesting in terms of a game to play a version of the Bong Game: tick off random money amounts that grow until the contestant says enough, or the Voice of Doom says the money is gone.)

But the American show has worked for three years, they're not going to change. But all game shows use gimmicks to some degree. Deal or No Deal just does it more frequently.
Travis L. Eberle

Robert Hutchinson

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'185342\' date=\'May 4 2008, 06:39 PM\']People don't watch a show only in anticipation of someone else winning big money. Want proof?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show_Me_the_M...S._game_show%29[/quote]
Well, no, obviously not only for that reason. I wouldn't expect DoND's ratings to drop to zero the show after they finally give away a million. But I thought the general question was how many people are watching these shows just for that, and how much will it hurt if they do all leave? What were the millions of people who were still watching SMtM watching it for when it was cancelled?
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

BrandonFG

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2008, 09:44:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'185430\' date=\'May 5 2008, 09:11 PM\']
What were the millions of people who were still watching SMtM watching it for when it was cancelled?
[/quote]
Millions?!
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

clemon79

Deal Or No Deal
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 10:09:03 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'185436\' date=\'May 5 2008, 06:44 PM\']
Millions?![/quote]
AND MILLIONS --

Erm, sorry, thought I was in a Rock promo for a second. Please continue.