Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Deal around the world  (Read 5156 times)

abba

Deal around the world
« on: May 06, 2008, 10:54:09 PM »
Is this better than the american version. What are your thoughts?

chad1m

Deal around the world
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 11:04:45 AM »
I think Deal is Deal no matter where you go. At the end of the day, it's still pointing at cases, boxes, etc to win money. Some just have different paintjobs than others.

urbanpreppie05

Deal around the world
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 11:24:10 AM »
If nothing else, the music for most of the other versions owns ours...right Mr. Lemon?
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal around the world
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 12:03:26 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'185599\' date=\'May 7 2008, 08:04 AM\']
I think Deal is Deal no matter where you go.[/quote]
Spoken like a man who has never seen the Australian show.
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'185600\' date=\'May 7 2008, 08:24 AM\']
If nothing else, the music for most of the other versions owns ours...right Mr. Lemon?[/quote]
Enh. I don't have a huge problem with our music package. The Australian version is better because of the pacing and contestants.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Matt Ottinger

Deal around the world
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 12:16:33 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'185599\' date=\'May 7 2008, 11:04 AM\']
I think Deal is Deal no matter where you go. At the end of the day, it's still pointing at cases, boxes, etc to win money. Some just have different paintjobs than others.[/quote]
Certainly as presented on NBC, these episodes of 'Deal Around the World' are as you describe.  That's deliberate, though.  Whatever differences in the format exist in these overseas shows are being replaced by the American template.  YMMV on how 'different' the formats really are, but we won't really get a chance to compare on these Howie-hosted travelogues.  All we're going to see are the paintjobs.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rugrats1

Deal around the world
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 12:58:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'185610\' date=\'May 7 2008, 12:16 PM\']...we won't really get a chance to compare on these Howie-hosted travelogues.  All we're going to see are the paintjobs.
[/quote]

After seeing the Filipino stop on 5/5, I beg to differ -- I never seen the original Filipino version, though I imagine it's practically their version adapted to American rules.

To be honest, Monday's show makes the US version from Hollywood stale and pedestrian in comparison -- would you rather have the models dancing or marching down the steps?

BrandonFG

Deal around the world
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 01:06:16 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'185613\' date=\'May 7 2008, 12:58 PM\']
[W]ould you rather have the models dancing or marching down the steps?
[/quote]
The model presentation doesn't really bother me, and I actually like the march in (the standing ovation is unnecessary though).

And I actually like the US version's theme song...about one of the only primetime games to have a recognizable theme song.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

urbanpreppie05

Deal around the world
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 01:07:43 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'185610\' date=\'May 7 2008, 12:16 PM\']...we won't really get a chance to compare on these Howie-hosted travelogues.  All we're going to see are the paintjobs.
[/quote]

To be honest, Monday's show makes the US version from Hollywood stale and pedestrian in comparison -- would you rather have the models dancing or marching down the steps?
[/quote]

In the original DOND ABC Pilot, the models did dance...I wish the intro clip was still up somewhere. It was really bizzare.
insert signature here

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Deal around the world
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' post=\'185613\' date=\'May 7 2008, 09:58 AM\']
After seeing the Filipino stop on 5/5, I beg to differ -- I never seen the original Filipino version,[/quote]
Then how in the HELL can you "beg to differ"?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Clay Zambo

Deal around the world
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 01:59:49 PM »
...would you rather have the models dancing or marching down the steps?
[/quote]

I'd rather have 26 other contestants holding the boxes, and waiting for their turns to play.  I know it ain't gonna happen, but--and I say this as red-blooded and model-loving as anybody--I'd rather see other players than models.

But I know that wasn't one of my options.  So: march on.  Let's get to the damn game already, what little of it there is.
czambo@mac.com

uncamark

Deal around the world
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2008, 05:41:34 PM »
From Wiki, it reads like the main differences between their version and ours is the chrome (calling the models the "26K," the in-house DJ, the mini-celebrations on the low numbers, the Dutch music and SFX, that whole Number 17-is-bad-luck bit).  Otherwise, it's just like our show.

Now what bothered me (outside of the laugh track on some of the location bits, since we all know damn well that the Filipino studio audience never saw any of those packages) was that there were absolutely no credits for the Filipino crew, not even the director (I would swear on the full-screens that they went right from supervising producer to VP in charge of production without a director credit).  The credits showed no studio credits--not even a "special thanks to everyone at ABS-CBN Manila and Endemol Philippines"--but had the "taped at the Culver Studios" credit.  It just seems to me to be wrong.  We'll see how they handle Estonia tonight.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Deal around the world
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 12:08:27 AM »
[quote name=\'abba\' post=\'185547\' date=\'May 6 2008, 07:54 PM\']Is this better than the american version. What are your thoughts?[/quote]It's the TV equivalent of going all the way to Morocco and then eating at McDonald's for every meal. If they're going to go 7,000 miles away, I think we're owed a glimpse of what the actual show is.

I think Deal is Deal no matter where you go. At the end of the day, it's still pointing at cases, boxes, etc to win money. Some just have different paintjobs than others.
The game is the same,  but the Commonwealth versions make you care.
Travis L. Eberle

rugrats1

Deal around the world
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 12:11:06 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'185645\' date=\'May 7 2008, 05:41 PM\'] (I would swear on the full-screens that they went right from supervising producer to VP in charge of production without a director credit). [/quote]

I wonder if that was a union thing, that the local producers (and staff) did not get credited, but the American producers did.

[quote name=\'uncamark\' post=\'185645\' date=\'May 7 2008, 05:41 PM\']
The credits showed no studio credits--not even a "special thanks to everyone at ABS-CBN Manila and Endemol Philippines"--but had the "taped at the Culver Studios" credit.  It just seems to me to be wrong.  We'll see how they handle Estonia tonight.
[/quote]

Especially the "Culver Studios" credit -- I hope that was just an error on NBC's part. Only way we'll find out is when it reruns on CNBC later on, when they show all credits full-screen. If this was intentional, then it's a really low blow on the US producers' part.

As for the Estonia episodes, not giving away gameplay, but they again went from SP to VP during the goodbye credits. Also, for some unknown reason, they relied heavily on post-production for graphics and music in tonight's (5/7) episode from Estonia. Interesting show, but nothing like Monday night's Filipino episode.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 12:11:49 AM by rugrats1 »

pianogeek

• LET'S PLAY!
Deal around the world
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 10:12:10 AM »
I'm wondering does the omission of the credits have anything to do with union rules or something?  But it really would be shame where people don't give credit where credit is due.  

(Bobet Vidanes currently directs all current game shows for ABS-CBN, including Deal, Pilipinas Game Ka Na Ba?, The Singing Bee, and Wheel.  

DJ M.O.D. is also credited as musical director for all the game shows, too.  He's like Stan Blits who chooses the music, but he's had some timely on-camera cameos.  Especially in Pilipinas Game Ka Na Ba? whenever he plays some funny background music or sound effect for variety of in-show situations, whether to distract the host, just generate some cheap laughter among the crowd, or to rev-up the crowd like a NBA basketball game.)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 10:14:53 AM by pianogeek »
-Sanford

Clay Zambo

Deal around the world
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'185683\' date=\'May 8 2008, 12:08 AM\']
It's the TV equivalent of going all the way to Morocco and then eating at McDonald's for every meal. I
[/quote]

"Next on the Travel Channel: Supersize My Carry-On"!
czambo@mac.com