Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy!  (Read 2578 times)

gsgalaxy82

Jeopardy!
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
I'm kinda out of the loop with Jeopardy, I just happen to be watching it today (college tournament, I'm not even sure if it's rerun season or not). On Phoenix's carrier of Jeopardy (KNXV ABC 15), this message happen to scroll across the screen:
"A technical error prevented us from airing Wednesday and Thursday's show in the correct order. You are watching the episode meant for Wednesday. We aired Thursday's episode yesterday. We are sorry for the inconvienience"
Was this just a Phoenix thing or was this everywhere?

chad1m

Jeopardy!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 07:51:46 PM »
I can only assume it was just your station's error - mine ran fine today.

tvmitch

Jeopardy!
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »
Correct one aired in our market...probably a station mixup at KNXV, which is surprising, because you would think a lot of these feeds would be automated enough to avoid such an error...?
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Jeopardy!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'186090\' date=\'May 15 2008, 04:52 PM\']
Correct one aired in our market...probably a station mixup at KNXV, which is surprising, because you would think a lot of these feeds would be automated enough to avoid such an error...?
[/quote]
I suspect you would be very, VERY surprised.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

gsgalaxy82

Jeopardy!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 08:28:37 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'186090\' date=\'May 15 2008, 06:52 PM\']
[/quote]

Actually, I'm not all that surprised. This IS KNXV we're talking about (but that's another rant for another time). Just was wondering if the message came from KNXV or if it was on the feed itself.

Robert Hutchinson

Jeopardy!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »
I haven't been watching much lately, but WCTV usually manages to show the wrong episode of Jeopardy! at least twice a year.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

trainman

Jeopardy!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 10:18:06 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'186095\' date=\'May 15 2008, 05:28 PM\']Actually, I'm not all that surprised. This IS KNXV we're talking about (but that's another rant for another time). Just was wondering if the message came from KNXV or if it was on the feed itself.
[/quote]

Definitely from KNXV.

As is true of many daily syndicated shows, the feed for "Jeopardy!" is sent out over the satellite two weekdays in advance (Monday's episode is sent the previous Thursday, Tuesday's episode is sent the previous Friday, etc.).  If the distribution facility had screwed up and sent out the Thursday episode on Monday instead of the Wednesday episode, that would have been taken care of by notifying the local stations via fax, and setting up a make-up satellite feed of the Wednesday episode.

Because of the 2-day-in-advance thing, there are always 2 or 3 episodes on the shelf (or on the video server) at each local station, and it's fairly easy for someone to screw up and show the wrong episode if they're not paying enough attention.
trainman is a man of trains

gameboy2000

Jeopardy!
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 08:54:51 AM »
I remember one time in 1990 during the summer reruns when Jeopardy was rerunning the TOC. A satellite problem resulted in WVEC airing an episode from the Teen Tournament on Thursday. The next day, they preempted Wheel to air the first ep of the TOC finals and the second ep immediately followed.
gameboy2000.weebly.com

Gus

Jeopardy!
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 03:01:25 PM »
[quote name=\'trainman\' post=\'186103\' date=\'May 15 2008, 09:18 PM\']
As is true of many daily syndicated shows, the feed for "Jeopardy!" is sent out over the satellite two weekdays in advance (Monday's episode is sent the previous Thursday, Tuesday's episode is sent the previous Friday, etc.).  If the distribution facility had screwed up and sent out the Thursday episode on Monday instead of the Wednesday episode, that would have been taken care of by notifying the local stations via fax, and setting up a make-up satellite feed of the Wednesday episode.

Because of the 2-day-in-advance thing, there are always 2 or 3 episodes on the shelf (or on the video server) at each local station, and it's fairly easy for someone to screw up and show the wrong episode if they're not paying enough attention.
[/quote]
Correct, but it's a wee bit easier 'cause WOF and J! come down off of Pathfire now (for non-industry types: basically a satellite VOD system for broadcast video). Actually, where I (and TeppanYaki) work at in market 132, ingesting stuff from Pathfire actually requires a little more human intervention than if it came down from traditional satellite, cause we can set it up to record off satellite daily at a given time each day, but Pathfire stuff has to be set up manually. I can easily see how morningside would set WHFPF up to record, for instance, and accidentally load the Thursday episode instead. I don't know what it's like at other stations, but we have to mark the segment in- and out-points manually for each program too.

Unrealtor

Jeopardy!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 08:48:45 PM »
On a similar note to the original post, KXAN in Austin aired Monday's Final Jeopardy in place of today's.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."