Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Game Shows' Most Embarrassing Answer Errors  (Read 7517 times)

CeleTheRef

Game Shows' Most Embarrassing Answer Errors
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 06:18:39 AM »
the very first episode of Jeopardy in Italy wasn't aired because of a question about the national anthem.  

For a Daily Double question, the host Mike Bongiorno read out a verse from the Italian anthem and asked where that verse was from.  

The contestant quickly supplied the correct response but Mike just read from his written copy and said  "I'm sorry, it was a Giosuč Carducci poem. Select again."

The crowd realized the mistake and booed, and some people stood on their seats in protest.  The producer escaped the studio and nobody could locate him for the next couple days.

Kevin Prather

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 11:14:18 AM »
[quote name=\'CeleTheRef\' post=\'186201\' date=\'May 17 2008, 03:18 AM\']
the very first episode of Jeopardy in Italy wasn't aired because of a question about the national anthem.  

For a Daily Double question, the host Mike Bongiorno read out a verse from the Italian anthem and asked where that verse was from.  

The contestant quickly supplied the correct response but Mike just read from his written copy and said  "I'm sorry, it was a Giosuč Carducci poem. Select again."

The crowd realized the mistake and booed, and some people stood on their seats in protest.  The producer escaped the studio and nobody could locate him for the next couple days.
[/quote]
Sheesh. It seems the Italian Jeopardy has had a COUPLE controversial moments. Didn't you post a clip one time of a contestant cheating? Interesting stuff.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 05:39:23 PM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'186209\' date=\'May 17 2008, 04:14 PM\']
[quote name=\'CeleTheRef\' post=\'186201\' date=\'May 17 2008, 03:18 AM\']

[/quote]

Sheesh. It seems the Italian Jeopardy has had a COUPLE controversial moments. Didn't you post a clip one time of a contestant cheating? Interesting stuff.
[/quote]

Sure, that clip can still be found searching youtube for "telemike", it should be the top entry.  While we are at it, the opening from episode 1 is back up right here

Mike was well aware of the USA gameshow scandals of the 50s and he always made sure that everything worked by the rules.    
However, his famously poor sight sometimes caused him to accidentally misread a question or rule an answer incorrectly. Such slip-ups were never edited out because they were funny and people LOVED them.
A game judge was always ready to chime in whenever Mike messed up, and also kept a stack of backup questions handy, just in case.

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
About the "cheating" clip, what exactly was on the piece of paper? I know having the piece of paper was bad enough, but did she have important notes on them? I thought it was funny how she tried to stuff it down her shirt.

CeleTheRef

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'186242\' date=\'May 17 2008, 10:59 PM\']
About the "cheating" clip, what exactly was on the piece of paper? I know having the piece of paper was bad enough, but did she have important notes on them? I thought it was funny how she tried to stuff it down her shirt.
[/quote]

it was never revealed.
 Since the final questions were about the contestant's subject of choice, I believe she wrote something about it, but there was a chance that nothing written there was actually helpful. But still, it was for about $80,000

gsgalaxy82

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 07:13:56 PM »
[quote name=\'CeleTheRef\' post=\'186244\' date=\'May 17 2008, 06:01 PM\']
[quote name=\'gsgalaxy82\' post=\'186242\' date=\'May 17 2008, 10:59 PM\']
[/quote]

it was never revealed.
 Since the final questions were about the contestant's subject of choice, I believe she wrote something about it, but there was a chance that nothing written there was actually helpful. But still, it was for about $80,000
[/quote]

Did she faint at the end? Overcome by the fact she was caught maybe?

CeleTheRef

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 09:33:23 PM »
Mike handles such incidents by going on as if nothing happened.  Once on Wheel of Fortune a contestant fainted right in the middle of the game.  After a doctor came to take her away, Mike simply had the game continue with two contestants. (She was then invited to play another day)

Back on topic, here is a recent "Mike Moment".  Mike misreads a question, the judge corrects him, but Mike takes it for the contestant's response and rules it wrong!  The face on the judge's face is priceless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-dTpxu2Dwo

mbclev

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
There was an incident on Hot Potato during the bonus round where a trio of Coast Guardsmen were asked where Boot Hill cemetery was.  (They had answered four straight questions, then passed on the next one, which they were allowed to do.)  They were given a choice of Dodge City (Kansas) and Tombstone (Arizona), then they answered Tombstone and were called wrong, thus losing the $15,000 they were playing for.  I was watching that show and had a feeling the show screwed up.  I looked in my family's road atlas that was there at the time, and found out that yes, there was a Boot Hill in Dodge City, but there was also a Boot Hill in Tombstone as well, so the show did indeed screw up.  Later, I called Barry & Enright, the show's production company, from a pay phone, and found out that they essentially knew about the mistake, and that host Bill Cullen would give an apology a few days later, but when the time came, or close to it, there appeared a message on one of those shows that said, "This week's shows are being aired out of sequence."  NBC must have been embarrassed to air such a show.  I told this story to Adam Nedeff in 2002 after seeing his tape collection list that included (as I noticed at the time) the mistake episode, and he was kind enough to send me that episode, and the show that had Cullen's subsequent apology.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 03:17:52 PM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' post=\'186271\' date=\'May 18 2008, 11:55 AM\']
Later, I called Barry & Enright, the show's production company, from a pay phone, [/quote]
It was *that* important to you?
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

DrBear

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 07:31:04 PM »
Don't be surprised. Pro golf tournaments have had their results changed by viewers calling the networks and the USGA when they see rules violations that weren't called by the participants (often because they didn't know they were violating a rule). For example, one golfer was disqualified after putting down a towel to protect his pants legs when he had to play a difficult exit shot from his knees in a hazard. Under the rules, that's building a stance and a penalty stroke; he didn't include it in his total and was DQd
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

clemon79

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 07:47:33 PM »
[quote name=\'DrBear\' post=\'186292\' date=\'May 18 2008, 04:31 PM\']
Don't be surprised. Pro golf tournaments have had their results changed by viewers calling the networks and the USGA when they see rules violations that weren't called by the participants (often because they didn't know they were violating a rule).[/quote]
"Surprised" wasn't my reaction. "Very, very frightened" was.

dale_grass

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 12:01:24 AM »
C'mon.  Surely we've all, at one time or another, called a production company from a pay phone to complain about the validity of an answer.  Of course, by "production company" I mean "former co-worker" and by "complain about the validity of an answer" I mean "make sexually-suggestive comments with a disguised voice."

Kevin Prather

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 12:11:15 AM »
[quote name=\'dale_grass\' post=\'186300\' date=\'May 18 2008, 09:01 PM\']
C'mon.  Surely we've all, at one time or another, called a production company from a pay phone to complain about the validity of an answer.  Of course, by "production company" I mean "former co-worker" and by "complain about the validity of an answer" I mean "make sexually-suggestive comments with a disguised voice."
[/quote]
Dale wins another internet. What does that put him up to now? 5 internetz? 6?

clemon79

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 12:19:51 AM »
[quote name=\'whoserman\' post=\'186301\' date=\'May 18 2008, 09:11 PM\']
Dale wins another internet. What does that put him up to now? 5 internetz? 6?[/quote]
Seconded. Bravo. Bravissimo. :)

Jay Temple

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 08:47:51 AM »
This is mentioned in one of the Jeopardy! books, but I recall watching it and being aware of the errors. First, they had a clue about the St. Louis Globe-Democrat having ceased publication. Trouble is, by the time the show aired, it had resumed publication. So, in their OOPS! category, they mentioned that it had resumed publication. Trouble is, by the time that show aired, it had folded. I think they ran another clue mentioning this fact. Fortunately for them, this time it was gone for good.
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.