Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPIR Pre-Dawn Lines @ TV City  (Read 5955 times)

ClockGameJohn

TPIR Pre-Dawn Lines @ TV City
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 07:29:55 PM »
Not if they are slipping to other daytime programs, though...

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 07:51:24 PM »
With the exceptions of Bold and the Beautiful and General Hospital, who've posted modest gains - the remaining entirety of daytime has experienced viewership losses between 10% and 20% year-to-year.  If true, a 15% loss would put TPiR about middle of the pack in terms of viewership losses, but still doing favorably compared to daytime-at-large.

Robert Hutchinson

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 07:56:47 PM »
Do I recall correctly that local CBS affiliates love (or used to love) the show largely because it gives their noon newscasts a big boost over the competition? That's related to ratings, of course, but not necessarily exclusively (it could be partly that there's some quality of TPIR that leads to more people than average hanging around for the news, for instance).
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

NickintheATL

• Husband of snowpeck
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 08:13:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'187126\' date=\'May 30 2008, 07:56 PM\']
Do I recall correctly that local CBS affiliates love (or used to love) the show largely because it gives their noon newscasts a big boost over the competition? That's related to ratings, of course, but not necessarily exclusively (it could be partly that there's some quality of TPIR that leads to more people than average hanging around for the news, for instance).
[/quote]

That's a good point.  But I would think that, if I were in a higher position at an affiliate, I would be a tad concerned with a 15% drop in the ratings.  Thinking in terms of station managers, they always want their ratings, and then in turn the ad rates, to be as high as they can be. With the lead-in that Price has been to the noon news for years for local affiliates, if the numbers do indeed slip, it might be cause for alarm.

Mind you, I may be jumping the gun with some of these assumptions, so please do keep in mind things can change and go either way.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 08:15:15 PM by NicholasM79 »

tvwxman

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 09:12:38 PM »
Let me make this point succiently as possible :

Ratings are good : Ad dollars are better.

Ratings are good in measuring how popular a show is, HOWEVER, ratings are deconstructed daily, into various demographics that may or may not be desirable to station owners. And those demos can be spun into desirable ad rates, even if the show isn't #1.

With that in mind, you need to understand that just because a show isn't as highly rated as another in its time slot, does not mean it's not as successful.

Go ask the GM of the second place tv station in town how much money his station made last year. The number will still astonish you. Many of them gave up chasing the 1st place title years ago. As long as the demos are desirable, their jobs are safe.

Turning this back to TPIR : just because the ratings are down 15% doesn't mean they're still not making a boatload of money on it, and if the GM's are overall happy with the audience that leads into the noon newscast (which , btw, tend to be older than most other newscasts), then they're happy, and not willing to mess with a 35 year old proven formula.

Price works for two reasons : One, it's proven, and two, any replacement will likely bring in an unproven, demographically-questionable audience. Sure, Springer might do well at 11am, but what kind of advertisers will it bring in, and how will that affect the noon show dollars?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 08:39:15 AM »
Good point...even if Price slips and costs affiliates some dollars, what exactly could they replace Price WITH and hope to get anything close to the same dollars that even a slipping Price is pulling?

tpirfan28

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2008, 04:49:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'187119\' date=\'May 30 2008, 05:37 PM\']
I don't know the studio capacity, believe it or not. :-)
[/quote]
In looking some stuff up on TV City, J-Shea has the capacity for 33.  It has a seating capacity of 330.  source
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

TheLastResort

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2008, 06:14:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'187115\' date=\'May 30 2008, 03:17 PM\']
My opinion is that the dwindling attendance is in part to three factors

1) It's not Barker
2) It's not Barker's last year
3) Drew's newness has worn off

A possible fourth could be the current tape schedule, but I don't know enough about it to venture a guess.
[/quote]

5) Gas at $4/gallon.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2008, 06:58:42 PM »
[quote name=\'TheLastResort\' post=\'187218\' date=\'Jun 1 2008, 03:14 PM\']
5) Gas at $4/gallon.
[/quote]
http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5426/ba...boblargeet0.gif

This is all perfectly normal.

/bravo
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 04:10:43 AM »
Meet the head of security at CBS Television City, telling hopeful TPIR audience members to go away:

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5426/ba...boblargeet0.gif

"Lot ees fool, lot ees fool."

Sunday night there were two people in line as of 11 pm.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 04:11:40 AM by chris319 »

uncamark

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 12:32:41 PM »
CBS will keep "TPIR" on as long as possible, if only because they know that the replacement, barring Fremantle getting a guarantee that they can control the time slot, is the hour going back to the affiliates.

CBS has just claimed 1,000 weeks at number one in the Nielsens in daytime, but it's still a hollow claim when you only have one network in head-on competition.

J.R.

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »
I'm curious, how were the lines 10, 15 or 20 years ago? Could you still arrive after the sun rose and still get a good seat (if any)?
-Joe Raygor

rwalker

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »
No worries, Les Moonves would probably come with an idea for a "Deal or No Deal" ripoff and slot it at 11am. I think Drew has at least 5-10 years to go, and the show is a long way from hitting the trash bin.

Neumms

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 03:37:15 PM »
[quote name=\'JRaygor\' post=\'187429\' date=\'Jun 3 2008, 12:43 PM\']
I'm curious, how were the lines 10, 15 or 20 years ago? Could you still arrive after the sun rose and still get a good seat (if any)?
[/quote]

12 years ago my now-wife and I showed up at 9 and got perfectly fine seats for the second taping. And there was still plenty of waiting around to mark the experience. And Barker was tired and grumpy. Even then. Also, one of a group that was really obnoxious to the ushers in line won $10,000 in the Grand Game.

Neumms

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2008, 03:38:29 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'187890\' date=\'Jun 10 2008, 05:12 PM\']
No worries, Les Moonves would probably come with an idea for a "Deal or No Deal" ripoff and slot it at 11am. I think Drew has at least 5-10 years to go, and the show is a long way from hitting the trash bin.
[/quote]

Presumably, the fabulous new 60-minute "Plinko."