Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Tic Tac Dough: I Just Got It!  (Read 4747 times)

Don Howard

Tic Tac Dough: I Just Got It!
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:05:19 AM »
In thirty years of watching Tic Tac Dough either on CBS or in syndication or on Game Show Network, I would wonder, "Why don't they just say what category they want? Why do they have to say (for example) ,'I'll try SEX SYMBOLS in the upper middle'". I'd love to do that to Anitra Ford, by the way.
That's so the tech guys can light the perimeter of the box up faster, isn't it?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 11:06:39 AM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'192385\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 11:05 AM\']
'I'll try SEX SYMBOLS in the upper middle'". I'd love to do that to Anitra Ford, by the way.
[/quote]
And again, I'm glad I'm not holding a drink.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

aaron sica

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 12:17:34 PM »
In thirty years of watching Tic Tac Dough either on CBS or in syndication or on Game Show Network, I would wonder, "Why don't they just say what category they want? Why do they have to say (for example) ,'I'll try SEX SYMBOLS in the upper middle'". I'd love to do that to Anitra Ford, by the way.
[/quote]

Makes sense! Also clears up something I'd always wondered, too. If the category was something TV related, the contestant would always just say TV, but Wink always said the entire word, television. Now I know why! Thanks, Don. Whatever will we do without you after 2099?

/Grateful to Don but not going anywhere near Anitra Ford

Steve Gavazzi

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 12:26:01 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'192414\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 12:17 PM\'][quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'192385\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 11:05 AM\']In thirty years of watching Tic Tac Dough either on CBS or in syndication or on Game Show Network, I would wonder, "Why don't they just say what category they want? Why do they have to say (for example) ,'I'll try SEX SYMBOLS in the upper middle'". I'd love to do that to Anitra Ford, by the way.
[/quote]Makes sense! Also clears up something I'd always wondered, too. If the category was something TV related, the contestant would always just say TV, but Wink always said the entire word, television. Now I know why! Thanks, Don. Whatever will we do without you after 2099?

/Grateful to Don but not going anywhere near Anitra Ford[/quote]
Why not?  Her athlete's foot wouldn't be anywhere near the upper middle.  Besides, I think Dr. Clappinger cured it.

tvmitch

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 02:39:11 PM »
[/quote]
What regularly drives my wife nuts is this exchange from any forgetful contesant:

C: I'll take Potluck Pix.
*pregnant pause*
W: And...why would you take that category?
C: For a block, Wink.

or

Sarcastic C: Because it's your mom's favorite, Wink.

Something else I've wondered: if a contestant picks a category but doesn't say that category name completely before realizing he should have picked another category (to block, etc.), is he stuck with the first category? Can the contestant get away with saying the entire category name before realizing their mistake and wanting to switch?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 02:39:59 PM by mitchgroff »
You should follow me on Twitter

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 02:47:55 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'192433\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 02:39 PM\']
Can the contestant get away with saying the entire category name before realizing their mistake and wanting to switch?
[/quote]
I recall seeing an episode a few months back where this happened and Wink said, to be fair, they had to take their first choice.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

aaron sica

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 02:49:04 PM »
That's another category Wink would repeat back to the customer with its full name. "Ok, Potluck Pictures in the center.."

It all makes sense now, thanks to Don! You are the man of the day.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'192433\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 11:39 AM\']
Sarcastic C: Because it's your mom's favorite, Wink.[/quote]
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/8089/sean20conneryga6.jpg

Approves
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Casey

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 05:45:07 PM »
What I find annoying (and I don't remember it from the previous times I've seen TTD) is that whenever they are down to 2 or 3 boxes left on the board Wink says a variation of: "We're down to 3 boxes left.  The categories that appear in these boxes will determine the outcome of the game"  Isn't that the point?

Don Howard

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 07:49:03 PM »
[quote name=\'isucgv\' post=\'192472\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 05:45 PM\']
whenever they are down to 2 or 3 boxes left on the board Wink says a variation of: "We're down to 3 boxes left.  The categories that appear in these boxes will determine the outcome of the game"  Isn't that the point?
[/quote]
Oh, that language is from the Barry & Enright school of overdramatics.
On The Joker's Wild, Jack would do that multiple times per show.
I can imagine Jack with a companion while waiting to cross the street:
"You could cross right now and possibly make it across safely. Of course, if you do, a car could speed upon you from out of nowhere and potentially crush you as though you were a pancake. It's a critical decision. What do you do?"
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 07:49:38 PM by Don Howard »

BrandonFG

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 08:18:45 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'192499\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 07:49 PM\']
"You could cross right now and possibly make it across safely. Of course, if you do, a car could speed upon you from out of nowhere and potentially crush you as though you were a pancake. It's a critical decision. What do you do?"
[/quote]
My favorite was when drawing out the potential game-winning question...

"This first president was known as the "Father of our Country", lived in an estate known as Mount Vernon, appears on the quarter and dollar bill, and is also the subject of a legendary story about a cherry tree. For the game, $550 in cash, PLUS a brand-new Chevrolet Chevette, bringing your five-game winnings to $8,120 in cash and prizes, WHO is it?"

/Too bad they didn't have Tivo in 1981
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 11:53:32 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'192458\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 03:20 PM\']
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'192433\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 11:39 AM\']
Sarcastic C: Because it's your mom's favorite, Wink.[/quote]
http://img460.imageshack.us/img460/8089/sean20conneryga6.jpg

Approves
[/quote]

"Damn you and your red boxes, you brigand!"
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Matt Ottinger

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 11:55:11 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'192500\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 08:18 PM\']"This first president was known as the "Father of our Country", lived in an estate known as Mount Vernon, appears on the quarter and dollar bill, and is also the subject of a legendary story about a cherry tree. For the game, $550 in cash, PLUS a brand-new Chevrolet Chevette, bringing your five-game winnings to $8,120 in cash and prizes, WHO is it?"[/quote]
That's the TTD version.  

The Joker's Wild version ended with "His name was George...what?"
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 12:29:38 AM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'192436\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 11:49 AM\']That's another category Wink would repeat back to the customer with its full name. "Ok, Potluck Pictures in the center.."

It all makes sense now, thanks to Don! You are the man of the day.[/quote]That's odd. If you have a guy manning the control box for all the different light patterns, if he can see the category names, he'd see "Potluck Pix," not "...Pictures." It absolutely makes sense to repeat the category name, or qualify its position, but to say something that doesn't appear on the board seems counterproductive.
If you didn’t create it, it isn’t your content.

Jay Temple

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2008, 12:33:28 AM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'192563\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 10:55 PM\']
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'192500\' date=\'Jul 28 2008, 08:18 PM\']"This first president was known as the "Father of our Country", lived in an estate known as Mount Vernon, appears on the quarter and dollar bill, and is also the subject of a legendary story about a cherry tree. For the game, $550 in cash, PLUS a brand-new Chevrolet Chevette, bringing your five-game winnings to $8,120 in cash and prizes, WHO is it?"[/quote]
That's the TTD version.  

The Joker's Wild version ended with "His name was George...what?"
[/quote]
It's also the NYSI version (at least in the pairs portion of the game).
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.