Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Gladiators: Season 3  (Read 8128 times)

tvmitch

Gladiators: Season 3
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
I don't mind Hogan. I bet he is getting paid a good amount to do the show, but he's not something I would cut. His over-the-top cheeseball attitude doesn't get old for me for some reason. Laila Ali (or any other second host) isn't necessary UNLESS that second host also does commentary, but I don't see a female play-by-play person, so that really goes out the window. Now, show me two good hosts who can do commentary, fit the mold, and are recognizable* and I'd show Hulk the door.

Just about all the set pieces and props for the show are fixed costs. I don't see them needing to introduce new events for S3, and if they do, shame on them, because there have to be at least as many events as there are gladiators. So the costs for the set, minus rent for the stadium, are nil except for maintenance.

And agreed with the cost-cutting move of paring down to 8-10 Gladiators. Keep the ones that are most well-known. I'd rather see the same Gladiator in every event the entire show than see a different Gladiator in every event.

*Antndec!
You should follow me on Twitter

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'193529\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 01:51 PM\']
I don't mind Hogan. I bet he is getting paid a good amount to do the show, but he's not something I would cut. His over-the-top cheeseball attitude doesn't get old for me for some reason.[/quote]
How about his utter overuse of the word "awesome"?

I'm sitting here watching the final right now, and I'm more certain than ever: he's the FIRST thing I would kill. If I had to axe him or Van Earl Wright, Van Earl would still be working.
Now, show me two good hosts who can do commentary, fit the mold, and are recognizable* and I'd show Hulk the door.
How about one host better than Hogan? 'Cuz I'm telling you, that wouldn't be hard to find AT ALL.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Loogaroo

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2008, 10:00:39 PM »
One note about the "new events, new gladiators" deal:

I found it really frustrating that they were still introducing gladiators during the semi-final rounds. One would think that they would get all of the new stuff out of the way by the time the first TEN preliminary episodes came out, so that more time could be focused on the returning contenders and not waste time introducing new event #6 and new gladiator #25.

And for what it's worth, the whole point of the gladiators is to be all-around superior athletes to the contenders, so the fact that some of the glads are being reserved for specific events just cheapens the effect. If Rocket, Zen and Hurricane won't been seen on a Powerball tarp, then don't use them. Awarding Gladiator status to season champions is a nice gesture, but it doesn't translate well when they actually have to compete against other contenders.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

clemon79

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2008, 10:53:28 PM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'193567\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 07:00 PM\']
Awarding Gladiator status to season champions is a nice gesture, but it doesn't translate well when they actually have to compete against other contenders.[/quote]
At least, not without 'roiding them up.

/what?

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2008, 02:58:32 AM »
Just to add to the conversation:

Some of you guys already know this, but for those who don't, the female Gladiator "Steel," AKA mixed martial arts fighter Erin Toughill, added this season, is my old boxing coach.  In interviews promoting the show she has already called Gina Carano out.

That's the reason they made her the "strong, silent" Gladiator; she's an insufferable trash-talker.

/not that I would mind, truthfully; I think she's as hot as Crush myself.
//frak it, I'll take 'em both; I'm hardcore.
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

tvmitch

« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2008, 09:31:42 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'193537\' date=\'Aug 6 2008, 05:35 PM\']
Now, show me two good hosts who can do commentary, fit the mold, and are recognizable* and I'd show Hulk the door.
How about one host better than Hogan? 'Cuz I'm telling you, that wouldn't be hard to find AT ALL.
[/quote]
Thinking about this more, I posit that the host role isn't important in the way the show is run now. If the show was run like the earlier version, then yes, the hosts are essential, because they're the announcers and huge utility players, etc.

Hulk and Laila fit into the host roles as the show is produced and directed right now, because the hosts really don't matter. They are both eye and ear candy, and they really have nothing to do with how the show runs. Take them away, and it's very possible that the show wouldn't lose much. Seriously.

Mike Adamle would be great to have here in this version, but some dramatic changes in the "flow of the show" would need to be made to accommodate him.

Is there room for improvement or room for a better host? Of course. But even if you were to find a better host than Hulk, the way the show is done, that host wouldn't get a chance to shine.

I guess what I'm saying is that Hulk is good for a laugh, and I don't think too many folks take his hosting role seriously. He's there to spike the crowd, and that's about it.
You should follow me on Twitter

Sonic Whammy

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
Whoo... yeah, it's a hassle for sure. No way I can limit this to three things. Here's my all-around take:

1) Hosts & Commentators: Collectively, only Laila doesn't come off as a cliche machine. I don't mind Van Earl Wright's commentary, but he has to put a little more analysis behind the play-by-play now that he's had two seasons of familiarity. I'd say if he can't, then get someone who can. Sadly, in the increasingly short-attention-span society we live in where no one has time to look & learn, this probably won't change, and that's pretty sad. I like the idea of Nitro, though...

2) Smack talk: Yes, major time killer, and that's because we care more about that in American sports than... oh, I don't know... working on having and showing ACTUAL ATHLETIC ABILITY. I'm all for competitiveness, but excess is excess. Seeing the pre-match talk reminds me of the "acting" that the original 6 glads did in the "Dark" Season 1. Therefore, ditch it. It's much more relevant to do the talking AFTERWARD, because then you can get the take from both sides on what happened.

3) Pacing: Fix the smack talk thing, as well as put both Eliminator segments in one segment, and you can easily fit all the events. As far as the intro, I'm not bothered if they show glads or not. I liked the intro that they did early in the season with the larger-than-life thing. Just keep that, and go right to the logo, then start the show.

4) Gladiators: Agreed, too many. And seeing Matt Morgan get involved now, I start to get more worried about those that have double sports careers. I would cut down to 12 at most. Allows for variety and reserve. And yes, get involved in EVERY event. It's Hellga's own fault if she can't climb the Wall (for example).

5) Tournament: I was never a fan of making the tournament only 3 levels. Make it 4: Prelims, quarters, semis and Grand Finals. This way, you've got 32 contenders, it's single elimination where everyone advances when they win. 4 rounds always made me feel like they were more battle-tested, plus you develop more of a fanbase for these guys. At the least, I hope the winners get something for winning a heat. Does anyone know?

Events: The biggest deals:

Powerball: Re-raise that scoring back to 2 & 4. or 2/3 or 2/5. Also, it was the staple of AG. Make it played in every competition again.

Hit & Run vs. Sideswipe: Agreed, no point of having both, just like Duel & Joust didn't combine in the UK. Keep one, and stick to 2 points per goal.

Rocketball: Me like lots. It's a new-age Swingshot. Don't change a thing.

Gauntlet: Glad they changed it back to the old scoring.

Earthquake: Good event, reasonable replacement for Breakthrough & Conquer due to the pool eating up the space. Right that they put it over the pool, too. The glads just need to get a little better at it, they give up a lot of points.

Skytrack: Start showing it in full, or ditch it. Defeats the purpose otherwise.

Events to absolutely ditch: Vertigo & Snapback. They didn't do it for me.

In spite of all this, this season was still better for me, and I'm still a fan through and through. Doesn't mean it can't become the phenom of old again.
Brian Sapinski

Just Brian Sapinski... for now

clemon79

« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2008, 11:48:59 AM »
[quote name=\'mitchgroff\' post=\'193594\' date=\'Aug 7 2008, 06:31 AM\']
Thinking about this more, I posit that the host role isn't important in the way the show is run now.[/quote]
Take them away, and it's very possible that the show wouldn't lose much. Seriously.
Hey, works for me. I think you're underestimating the need for someone to be there to prompt the Gladiators so that they can deliver their lines that actually give them (okay, give Wolf and Titan) some semblance of a personality, but I'm behind any change that gets that orange goblin off of my screen.
Is there room for improvement or room for a better host? Of course. But even if you were to find a better host than Hulk, the way the show is done, that host wouldn't get a chance to shine.
Okay. I fail to see where this has bearing on the discussion of whether Hogan is tolerable or not. You're changing the argument.
I guess what I'm saying is that Hulk is good for a laugh, and I don't think too many folks take his hosting role seriously. He's there to spike the crowd, and that's about it.
See above. I came into this discussion only because you said "hey, Hogan isn't that bad," and I felt compelled to point out that yes, yes he is. He is uncomfortably bad. For me, he is UNWATCHABLY bad. The only reason I still watch the show is because I own a Tivo and can judiciously exercise the 30-second skip. If I actually had to sit there and watch Hogan alternate between including "brother" and "awesome" in every sentence he utters, there is no way I would have followed the series to completion.

tpirfan28

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2008, 11:53:23 AM »
Oh, and bring back The Balls for more than one (or two?) appearances.

I didn't see the finals, so I don't know if Atlasphere was in them or not.  I know they made their debut a couple of weeks ago.

And, is it sad I was watching AG just for the debut of Atlasphere?  None of the new events really did it for me (among other things.)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2008, 11:59:58 AM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'193607\' date=\'Aug 7 2008, 08:53 AM\']
And, is it sad I was watching AG just for the debut of Atlasphere?[/quote]
Yes.

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2008, 08:51:01 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'193607\' date=\'Aug 7 2008, 11:53 AM\']
Oh, and bring back The Balls for more than one (or two?) appearances.

I didn't see the finals, so I don't know if Atlasphere was in them or not.  I know they made their debut a couple of weeks ago.[/quote]
Fwiw, Altaspheres was semi-finals only.  The men played it thrice and the women twice.

I don't know off-hand, but I have to think that a couple of events were played less.
This signature is currently under construction.

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'193651\' date=\'Aug 7 2008, 05:51 PM\']I don't know off-hand, but I have to think that a couple of events were played less.[/quote]That's gonna happen when you add events, y'know.

How often was Assault played?
Travis L. Eberle