Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Fall '08 GS prediction thread...  (Read 7215 times)

J.R.

Fall '08 GS prediction thread...
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 03:48:46 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'193894\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 11:13 AM\']1- YES or NO- At least one person wins the million on Wheel of Fortune this season.
2- YES or NO- At least one person wins the million on WWTBAM this season.
3- YES or NO- DoND will give away the top prize in a NORMAL game (no extra top prize case gimmicks) in either Syndicated or primetime this season.
4- YES or NO- Someone will win at least $500,000 in normal gameplay on J! this season.
5- YES or NO- At least one person wins the million on EITHER Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader or Don't Forget the Lyrics this season.
6-YES or NO- At least one person wins the million on EITHER Million Dollar Password or TPIR MDS...
7- YES or NO- At least one NEW Game Show (one that has not aired on a major network before in this era) will debut during the season.[/quote]
1: I think there will be at least one person who will take the million wedge to the bonus round. But, someone actually winning the million? No. I'm sure we'll see a couple $100K winners though.

2: No. I'm sure we'll get at least one $250,000 or $500,000 winner though.

3: I'm sure someday we'll run into someone with the "Top prize or bust" attitude, push it to the end and have it there. (While I'll be praying he or she has the penny) So: Yes

4: No. I'm sure we'll get a champion who will approach 10 wins, with Alex Trebek making daily Ken Jennings comparisons. (I prefer to compare long time champions to Larissa Kelly, since she's better looking)

5: Fifth Grader: Yes Lyrics: No (I don't watch both, so I could honestly care less)

6: MDP: Yes, and his name will be Chad Mosher. ;-) TPIR MDS: If it happens, it'll be from a pricing game. I'll venture a "Yes" on that one.

7: Yes. Whatever it is: The top prize will be a million dollars, it'll feature a huge, dark, neon set, the host will be a forgotten actor or comedian who was big 14 years ago, the logo zooms in and out of a particular letter, the game will have buyout offers to quit, the safe haven will be $25,000, it'll be played with one contestant, a group of supporters who will sit on a bench, results after a commercial break, an often-repeated gameplay catchphrase, attractive models and it'll take 17 hours to record one hour long episode.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 04:00:50 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

tpirfan28

« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 03:55:23 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'193915\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 03:48 PM\']
7: Yes. Whatever it is: The top prize will be a million dollars, it'll feature a huge, dark, neon set, the host will be a forgotten actor or comedian who was big 14 years ago, the logo zooms in and out of a particular letter, the game will have buyout offers to quit, the safe haven will be $25,000, it'll be played with one contestant and will include often-repeated gameplay catchphrase.
[/quote]
...don't forget the "writing instrument du jour"!

And I'll bet we either:

a) don't see Match Game on TBS
b) Match Game premires after the ALCS, and we get unhuman amounts of MG promos during the game (I'm lookin' at you, Caliendo.)
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'193915\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 03:48 PM\']7: Yes. Whatever it is: The top prize will be a million dollars, it'll feature a huge, dark, neon set, the host will be a forgotten actor or comedian who was big 14 years ago, the logo zooms in and out of a particular letter, the game will have buyout offers to quit, the safe haven will be $25,000, it'll be played with one contestant, a group of supporters who will sit on a bench, results after a commercial break, an often-repeated gameplay catchphrase, attractive models and it'll take 17 hours to record one hour long episode.
[/quote]
Yet another reason why you'll probably find Hole in the Wall disappointing.
This signature is currently under construction.

BrandonFG

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 04:14:56 PM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'193917\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 04:04 PM\']
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'193915\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 03:48 PM\']7: Yes. Whatever it is: The top prize will be a million dollars, it'll feature a huge, dark, neon set, the host will be a forgotten actor or comedian who was big 14 years ago, the logo zooms in and out of a particular letter, the game will have buyout offers to quit, the safe haven will be $25,000, it'll be played with one contestant, a group of supporters who will sit on a bench, results after a commercial break, an often-repeated gameplay catchphrase, attractive models and it'll take 17 hours to record one hour long episode.
[/quote]
Yet another reason why you'll probably find Hole in the Wall disappointing.
[/quote]
Except that show has Brooke Burns.

/Would hit it 9 days a week.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 04:16:01 PM by fostergray82 »
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 05:50:58 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'193915\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 03:48 PM\']6: MDP: Yes, and his name will be Chad Mosher. ;-)[/quote]I appreciate your faith, sir. :)

TimK2003

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 08:30:41 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'193894\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 11:13 AM\']
3: I'm sure someday we'll run into someone with the "Top prize or bust" attitude, push it to the end and have it there. (While I'll be praying he or she has the penny) So: Yes
[/quote]

If it does comes down to the $.01 and $1M cases, the final banker offer is $500K, and the contestant still says NO DEAL, there should be an automatic rule that they leave with nothing but the title of "King of all Llamas" -- NO EXCEPTIONS!

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'193945\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 05:30 PM\']If it does comes down to the $.01 and $1M cases, the final banker offer is $500K, and the contestant still says NO DEAL, there should be an automatic rule that they leave with nothing but the title of "King of all Llamas" -- NO EXCEPTIONS![/quote]Wow.

/Nonplussed.
Travis L. Eberle

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2008, 03:07:45 AM »
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'193945\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 07:30 PM\']
If it does comes down to the $.01 and $1M cases, the final banker offer is $500K, and the contestant still says NO DEAL, there should be an automatic rule that they leave with nothing but the title of "King of all Llamas" -- [/quote]What an honor to bestow on someone who has the million.
--Mark
Phil 4:13

Game Show Man

• Admiral Anaheim, Big Joey Numbers, etc.
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2008, 04:53:01 AM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'194012\' date=\'Aug 14 2008, 12:07 AM\']
[quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'193945\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 07:30 PM\']
If it does comes down to the $.01 and $1M cases, the final banker offer is $500K, and the contestant still says NO DEAL, there should be an automatic rule that they leave with nothing but the title of "King of all Llamas" -- [/quote]What an honor to bestow on someone who has the million.
[/quote]
Especially when the "llama" is an animal that usually only appears on WWTBAM.  :D
"Game Show Man" Joe Van Ginkel
captvangin@aol.com
"Remember, reality bites, so WATCH MORE GAME SHOWS!"

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2008, 09:12:08 PM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'193894\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 08:13 AM\']1- YES or NO- At least one person wins the million on Wheel of Fortune this season.[/quote]Doubtful. The longest of long shots.

(I also say yes- it's been a while, I think we're probably due for one- but all the rules changes do give me a little pause)
What does the length of time since a win have to do with anything? There've been three contestants who have had a go since the first season, and each of them passed. The rules don't seem like they'll make a $1m win any easier, the questions make it hard enough to reach that last level.

5- YES or NO- At least one person wins the million on EITHER Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader or Don't Forget the Lyrics this season.
Given the absolutely dumb rules those shows employ for the final question, I doubt it.

6-YES or NO- At least one person wins the million on EITHER Million Dollar Password or TPIR MDS...
This depends greatly. If TPIR doesn't let in the guy who helped the two $1m/DSW winners, then I doubt it. If he comes in wearing Groucho glasses, they're screwed.

[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'193915\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 12:48 PM\']4: No. I'm sure we'll get a champion who will approach 10 wins, with Alex Trebek making daily Ken Jennings comparisons. (I prefer to compare long time champions to Larissa Kelly, since she's better looking)[/quote]I like the cut of your jib, sir. If you wish to join me in my bunk, I'll send over a key card.
Travis L. Eberle

Jumpondees

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2008, 01:26:12 AM »
[quote name=\'weaklink75\' post=\'193894\' date=\'Aug 13 2008, 11:13 AM\']1- YES or NO- At least one person wins the million on Wheel of Fortune this season.
3- YES or NO- DoND will give away the top prize in a NORMAL game (no extra top prize case gimmicks) in either Syndicated or primetime this season.
4- YES or NO- Someone will win at least $500,000 in normal gameplay on J! this season.
7- YES or NO- At least one NEW Game Show (one that has not aired on a major network before in this era) will debut during the season.[/quote]

1 - YES - And to continue the joke from when the very first person hit the $100K in the bonus round, instead of push brooms, they shoud give Pat and Vanna Shop-Vacs to clean up the (over-exaggerating here) two tons of confetti they'll have to shoot off to make a $100K win look passe.

2 - YES - It's been way too long, and I think the right random person, at the right random time, will get the right random stack of questions to make us all ask if the writers were dumbing down the game just enough to get a winner.

3 - This is a split answer, I'll say NO to the Primetime, but YES to Syndication, and I'll lay odds that the Syndication winner will be in May sweeps, at the end of the season.

4 - NO - Look at how many have done it since the 5-day rule was abolished.  It will take another "special" contestant along the skills and abilities of KenJen for it to happen again.

5 - I'll say YES to 5th Grader, and NO to Lyrics.  To me, it seems like they cast the dumbest of the dumb sometimes on 5th Grader, but I think someone will come in just under the producer's radar to hit them where it hurts.  On Lyrics, it's going to take a musical genius for someone to get the million, because I'd hate to see what they will make someone do to win it.

6 - I'm going to say YES to both. On MDP, I hope when it's done, it's with Betty White.  On TPIR, I'll say it will happen twice.  IMO, I say that if they are going to have two chances to win a million during the show, that the showcase round requirement be set back to the old DSW rule of $100.  That way, there is still a decent chance that they can give away a million during one of the pricing games, but in the event someone wins that million and makes it to the showcase, CBS doesn't run the risk of having someone walk off with over $2 million by hitting a DSW with a $500 or $250 requirement.

7 - I'm going to say NO here, but like MikeK, I also have developed an affinity to the Brit's Golden Balls, but I don't ever see that show hitting a major network or syndication.  I think it would be best served on say GSN or maybe TBS with a good funny host that would work well with Match Game if that takes off.  Another show I've seen on YouTube that I've liked is 19 Keys.  I thnk 19 Keys could be a good show that would fit right in GSN's budget.

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2008, 02:07:16 AM »
[quote name=\'Jumpondees\' post=\'194261\' date=\'Aug 16 2008, 01:26 AM\']Another show I've seen on YouTube that I've liked is 19 Keys.  I thnk 19 Keys could be a good show that would fit right in GSN's budget.[/quote]
I took a peek at the 19 Keys video on YouTube.  Wow.  Even though it was just a six minute clip, it was a challenging and action packed six minutes.

I still think Golden Balls has a better chance of getting here because of the absolute lack of intelligence (read: luck) factor and because Endemol is behind it.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2008, 03:21:04 AM »
Here's how I see things on the game show front in 2008-2009:

1. No.  The odds of landing on that wedge are long enough as it is without adding the fact that you HAVE to guess the right letter, solve the puzzle, hold onto it & win the game is just too much to ask let alone solving the bonus round puzzle for that million.

2. It depends on what time limits are being used as well as how the Double Dip & Ask the Expert will factor into this.  Even though it's overdue, I'm leaning towards a No on this one,

3.  Split decision.  Yes to Syndie, No to Primetime.  The network version will continue its gimmicks for as long as the show lasts.

4.  No.  Unless we get a second comming of Ken Jennings, I doubt it.  Maybe in 3 ywars.

5.  No on both counts though it could come from 5th Grader this time.  As for Lyrics, too much of a crapshoot.  Would it be anything OTHER than a #1 song?  I doubt it.

6.  Definitely Yes to both.  TPIR did it 4 times this past season, so why stop now?  As for MDP, the new $250K safe haven will give players every oppurtunity to do it.

7.  Outside of Oppurtunity Knocks & Hole In The Wall, I don't see any new game show hits this upcomming season.  Therefore, a resounding NO!

Mr. Armadillo

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2008, 02:50:38 PM »
[quote name=\'TLEberle\' post=\'194109\' date=\'Aug 14 2008, 08:12 PM\']This depends greatly. If TPIR doesn't let in the guy who helped the two $1m/DSW winners, then I doubt it. If he comes in wearing Groucho glasses, they're screwed.[/quote]
Just the first one...they were already delegating Voltron to the back by the time Michael won his million.  

I, however, am still quite welcome at the studio... ;-)

uncamark

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2008, 06:26:14 PM »
Don't we already know the answer in part to number 3?