Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Desilu in game shows  (Read 6462 times)

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Desilu in game shows
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2003, 05:28:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 15 2003, 11:34 PM\']Desilu also did the NBC Sunday Night Comedy "The Mothers-In-Law". (1967-69)[/quote]
That wasn't Desilu, that was Desi Arnaz striking out on his own. Pretty good show from what I recall of it.

Tim L

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2003, 06:35:11 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 04:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 15 2003, 11:34 PM\']Desilu also did the NBC Sunday Night Comedy "The Mothers-In-Law". (1967-69)[/quote]
That wasn't Desilu, that was Desi Arnaz striking out on his own. Pretty good show from what I recall of it. [/quote]
 I agree..I thought it was onw of the better sitcoms of that era.  You were right about it not being strictly a Desilu production. The show was actually a Desi Arnaz Production Though I think it was produced using Desilu Facilities, which may  account for the confusion

Tim Lones

ChuckNet

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2003, 09:21:19 PM »
Desilu also did the NBC Sunday Night Comedy "The Mothers-In-Law". (1967-69) Similar in tone to "I Love Lucy".. (with some of the same writers and producers) It starred Eve Arden and Kaye Ballard as meddling Mothers In Law to their Married Children. In fact, Desi Arnaz made a few guest appearances as an aging bullfighter. Kaye Ballard appeared on many game shows (Including a recently shown TTTT)

In fact, Ballard and MiL co-star Richard Deacon both appeared on that sole $10K Pyramid that was floating around before GSN unearthed those 3 weeks of LA eps.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

DjohnsonCB

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2003, 11:06:47 AM »
"The Mothers-In-Law" was a Desi Arnaz Production for United Artists Television.
"Disconnect her buzzer...disconnect EVERYONE'S buzzer!"

--Alex Trebel

uncamark

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2003, 03:48:17 PM »
[quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 05:35 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 04:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 15 2003, 11:34 PM\']Desilu also did the NBC Sunday Night Comedy "The Mothers-In-Law". (1967-69)[/quote]
That wasn't Desilu, that was Desi Arnaz striking out on his own. Pretty good show from what I recall of it. [/quote]
I agree..I thought it was onw of the better sitcoms of that era.  You were right about it not being strictly a Desilu production. The show was actually a Desi Arnaz Production Though I think it was produced using Desilu Facilities, which may  account for the confusion[/quote]
By 1967 the former Desilu lots were referred to as "Paramount."  They rented to Arnaz and Sheldon Leonard continued to do his shows from there.

Desilu had more than one lot in Hollywood--I believe one's now the Ren Mar facility and I believe the other's the Raleigh facility where "Cram" is now shot, which is near the original Paramount lot on Melrose (and the LA bunch are free to correct me).

The original "Desilu Playhouse" was in the General Service Studios, which is now known as Hollywood Center and is home base for Stone-Stanley and many other game shows of recent years, among other things.

Matt Ottinger

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2003, 10:54:14 PM »
Some insights from an industry professional who lurks here and occasionally shares nice things with the class.  It actually relates to two threads we have going (see last sentence):

---------------
I think there were a few other game shows that Desilu was involved with that
might have aired on KTLA in Los Angeles.

After You Don't Say completed its NBC run in 1969, a year's worth of shows
were syndicated. From what I remember it was a mixture of shows from the
last few years on NBC. It is possible that they have the 2" tapes (remember
Sony had the 2" tapes of The Perfect Match from 1967), but it is probably so
buried in their vault that nobody wants to take the time to search it out
since it is not a big money maker.

Ren-Mar studios was the facility where the last years of I Love Lucy were
filmed. The 3rd season of Lingo is being taped there now.
---------------
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

rugrats1

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2003, 12:31:42 AM »
After You Don't Say completed its NBC run in 1969, a year's worth of shows were syndicated. From what I remember it was a mixture of shows from the last few years on NBC....but it is probably so buried in their vault that nobody wants to take the time to search it out since it is not a big money maker.

Though of course, on Steve Beverly's site, the Tom Kennedy interview had a few screengrabs from a 1960s You Don't Say episode (with Mel Torme and Pat Carroll), which appears to be pristine, meaning that he must've gotten that episode somewhere.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 12:32:06 AM by rugrats1 »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Desilu in game shows
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2003, 07:56:18 AM »
[quote name=\'uncamark\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 12:48 PM\'] [quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 05:35 PM\'][quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 16 2003, 04:28 PM\'] [quote name=\'Tim L\' date=\'Oct 15 2003, 11:34 PM\']Desilu also did the NBC Sunday Night Comedy "The Mothers-In-Law". (1967-69)[/quote]
I agree..I thought it was onw of the better sitcoms of that era.  You were right about it not being strictly a Desilu production. The show was actually a Desi Arnaz Production Though I think it was produced using Desilu Facilities, which may  account for the confusion[/quote]
By 1967 the former Desilu lots were referred to as "Paramount."  They rented to Arnaz and Sheldon Leonard continued to do his shows from there.

Desilu had more than one lot in Hollywood--I believe one's now the Ren Mar facility and I believe the other's the Raleigh facility where "Cram" is now shot, which is near the original Paramount lot on Melrose (and the LA bunch are free to correct me).

The original "Desilu Playhouse" was in the General Service Studios, which is now known as Hollywood Center and is home base for Stone-Stanley and many other game shows of recent years, among other things. [/quote]
I don't think Desilu ever had the current Raleigh Studios. You are right about Ren Mar, formerly Desilu-Cahuenga.  Desilu-Gower in Hollywood was the former RKO lot which is now the western slice of the Paramount lot (what is now Paramount used to be two separate movie studios: RKO on the west facing Gower street and Paramount on the east). When Lucy sold to Paramount, the DOJ decided that Desilu-Gower was the only lot Paramount was allowed to keep.

Desilu had studios in Culver City as well, where The Mothers In Law continued to be filmed after Lucy sold in 1967. What became of Desilu-Cahuenga and -Culver immediately after Lucy sold is the subject of further research.

AFAIK they never referred to the studio in which You Don't Say taped as "Desilu-Burbank".

Legend has it that Citizen Kane was filmed at what are now the Raleigh Studios.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 01:54:17 PM by chris319 »

Matt Ottinger

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2003, 01:26:00 PM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 12:31 AM\']
After You Don't Say completed its NBC run in 1969, a year's worth of shows were syndicated. From what I remember it was a mixture of shows from the last few years on NBC....but it is probably so buried in their vault that nobody wants to take the time to search it out since it is not a big money maker.

Though of course, on Steve Beverly's site, the Tom Kennedy interview had a few screengrabs from a 1960s You Don't Say episode (with Mel Torme and Pat Carroll), which appears to be pristine, meaning that he must've gotten that episode somewhere. [/quote]
 Kennedy has his own stash of episodes from his shows over the years.  I had the chance to see a few of them the last time I was in California.  Though I didn't see that one specifically, my guess is that the nice screen grabs that Beverly has came from Kennedy himself.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

mmb5

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2003, 10:36:56 AM »
[quote name=\'rugrats1\' date=\'Oct 17 2003, 11:31 PM\']

Though of course, on Steve Beverly's site, the Tom Kennedy interview had a few screengrabs from a 1960s You Don't Say episode (with Mel Torme and Pat Carroll), which appears to be pristine, meaning that he must've gotten that episode somewhere. [/quote]
 The last time I was at UCLA, I saw an episode with Mel Torme and Pat Carroll, so it's probably the same one.

--Mike
Portions of this post not affecting the outcome have been edited or recreated.

tvrandywest

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2003, 01:46:09 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 06:56 AM\']I don't think Desilu ever had the current Raleigh Studios. You are right about Ren Mar, formerly Desilu-Cahuenga.  Desilu-Gower in Hollywood was the former RKO lot which is now the western slice of the Paramount lot (what is now Paramount used to be two separate movie studios: RKO on the west facing Gower street and Paramount on the east). When Lucy sold to Paramount, the DOJ decided that Desilu-Gower was the only lot Paramount was allowed to keep.

Desilu had studios in Culver City as well, where The Mothers In Law continued to be filmed after Lucy sold in 1967. What became of Desilu-Cahuenga and -Culver immediately after Lucy sold is the subject of further research.
[/quote]
Perfectly stated history of that slice of Paramount that was home to everything from the Astaire-Rogers dance movies to Howard Hughes' film playground (the story of his specially created "cantilever bra" for Jane Russell's bountiful bosom for "The Outlaw" is a great one) to "Star Trek" and "Mission Impossible".

When I started working these historic lots I studied-up, un-earthed old tickets from the collectors, and talked to as many of the old-timers I could find who worked the classic shows. Audiences love to hear the film/TV history of where they're sitting.

Relevant to this discussion, Desilu never owned 1040 N. Las Palmas. As "I Love Lucy" had many homes over the years, the confusion may be due to the fact that the very first episode of "I Love Lucy" was reportedly filmed at Hollywood Center-Las Palmas on stage 1, adjacent to George Burns on stage 2.  

Desilu-Culver was the 12 stage lot a few blocks from the present Sony lot. It was built by Thomas Ince in the earliest days (thus the adjacent "Ince Street"). It's most notable filmography entry is "Gone With The Wind" when the lot was home to David Selznick. That film burned the original backlot that included the sets for 1933's "King Kong" which was also filmed there. When Desilu owned the facility it included a different 40 acre backlot to the south that included the town of Mayberry for their "Andy Griffith Show"; don't bother looking, it's developed industrial property now. Desilu's "The Untouchables" was shot on stage 1. By the time I got there for three years on stage 6 for "The Nanny" it was owned by Sony; "Mad About You" and Gregory Hines' last series were adjacent.  The lot is a favorite for high profile, big star feature films because it's small, quiet and hidden.

Desilu never owned the Raleigh lot.  Desilu-Cahuenga was indeed the present Ren-Mar facility. Ann Guilbert who played the grandmother on "The Nanny" told me Sheldon Leonard filmed "The Dick Van Dyke Show" there; and she should know. Ann played The Petrie's wacky neighbor Millie Halper.    ;-)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 04:36:45 PM by tvrandywest »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Desilu in game shows
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2003, 03:38:24 PM »
I read an account which stated that Desi purchased 1040 NLP and had to combine two adjacent stages for I Love Lucy: one for the Ricardo's apartment and another for the club/the Mertz's apartment/whatever other sets, as well as to accomodate a studio audience. Supposedly the Ricardo's bedroom/living room/kitchen set was so wide, there wasn't enough room for them on a single stage. The account goes on to tell how Karl Freund determined that the wooden floors were in such bad shape that new composite flooring had to be laid down.

I don't know how many seasons I Love Lucy was there but I'm sure she got moved around to various stages with different incarnations of the show.

tvrandywest

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2003, 04:21:57 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' date=\'Oct 19 2003, 02:38 PM\'] I read an account which stated that Desi purchased 1040 NLP and had to combine two adjacent stages for I Love Lucy: one for the Ricardo's apartment and another for the club/the Mertz's apartment/whatever other sets, as well as to accomodate a studio audience. Supposedly the Ricardo's bedroom/living room/kitchen set was so wide, there wasn't enough room for them on a single stage. The account goes on to tell how Karl Freund determined that the wooden floors were in such bad shape that new composite flooring had to be laid down.

I don't know how many seasons I Love Lucy was there but I'm sure she got moved around to various stages with different incarnations of the show. [/quote]
With all due respect (how much is that?   ;-), I'd have to see whatever written account you're referring to long before I'd begin to accept that Las Palmas was ever owned by Desilu. I can't speak to the split-set theory for Lucy at Las Palmas, as the show was only at that lot for a very limited number of the earliest episodes. But the material donated by Lucie Arnaz at the Lucy exhibit in Universal Studios, full of minutae as it is, had no mention of anything like that among the items both on display and in storage as of a few years ago.

Find some substantiation and I'll bring historian Marc Wanamaker (you've seen him on many of those E! shows on old Hollywood) into the conversation.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 04:43:50 PM by tvrandywest »

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Desilu in game shows
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2003, 04:34:14 PM »
Further research confirms that the Arnazes never owned 1040 NLP but were merely tenants. I Love Lucy was there for the first two seasons.

In the sixties, 1040 NLP was home to almost every filmed series that wasn't shot at Desilu or CBS Radford. Filmways was probably their biggest client with The Addams Family and all of Paul Henning's shows: Beverly Hilbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction (ob game shows: but no Heatter-Quigley shows).

The Ol' Guy

Desilu in game shows
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2003, 11:21:32 PM »
It took me a while to get my hands back on another fascinating book about Lucy and Desi - "Desilu: The Story Of Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz" by Coyne Sanders and Tom Gilbert. The first time I read it, it mentioned by name two other game shows Desilu had a hand in. One was "By The Numbers", which has been discussed here, but does anyone have any information on another game they reportedly created about the same time (1963-64) called "Zoom"? Was that another local Los Angeles game, syndicated, or never got past the pilot? All it mentioned was the titles.
Thanks.