Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: TPiR Wii  (Read 4721 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
TPiR Wii
« on: September 10, 2008, 08:36:40 PM »
The bulletpoints for the DS and Wii games are pretty much the same as what Matt said with a handful of changes...

*  As expected, no Mii support.

*  A local high score list only, no online content.

*  16 pricing games--the 11 DS games plus 3 Strikes, Flip Flop, Freeze Frame, Push Over, and Range Game.

*  Videos are shown for most prizes, with voiceover by Rich for almost everything.

*  Prices are inputted with the 4-directional pad at the top of the Wiimote.

*  Plinko chips are dropped and the Big Wheel is spun with an A-button and Wii motion combination.  If you flick your wrist downward real fast at the Wheel, you can get exactly 6 revolutions of the wheel, give or take a space.  Thus, getting $1.00 shouldn't be too difficult, and adding extra money in the bonus spin should be even easier.

*  There are unlockable videos for reaching specific milestones in the game.  For instance, getting $1 on the Big Wheel unlocks a video of contestants spinning the Wheel and falling down.  The footage ranged from the mid-to-late 1990s.  All of the footage was from before the 30th anniversary year.

I could've probably saved a few bucks by waiting for the price to drop a smidge.  Regardless, I'm very pleased with the game.  I'd agree with Matt that this is an 8 out of 10 game.  I wish there was a way to override Rich altogether.  It's a small gripe for what isn't a bad game.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
TPiR Wii
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 08:39:59 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'196856\' date=\'Sep 10 2008, 05:36 PM\']
*  A local high score list only, no online content.
*  16 pricing games--the 11 DS games plus 3 Strikes, Flip Flop, Freeze Frame, Push Over, and Range Game.
*  Videos are shown for most prizes, with voiceover by Rich for almost everything.
*  Prices are inputted with the 4-directional pad at the top of the Wiimote.
[/quote]
My question: with the exception of what you mentioned about the Wheel and Plinko, how much genuine waggle support is there, other'n effectively using the Wiimote as a mouse? (And really, that's exactly what Plinko is.)

I'm trying to gauge how much code they lifted wholesale from the PC Download game.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MikeK

• Martha!
TPiR Wii
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'196859\' date=\'Sep 10 2008, 08:39 PM\']My question: with the exception of what you mentioned about the Wheel and Plinko, how much genuine waggle support is there, other'n effectively using the Wiimote as a mouse? (And really, that's exactly what Plinko is.)[/quote]
Wiimote rumbling?  The only ones I felt were very subtle rumbles when the Big Wheel slowed down and hit a peg.  I don't recall such rumbling when the Plinko chips fell.

If you're talking about the Wiimote acting as a mouse controller, that's pretty much what it is.  Since I've only played 4 of 16 games thus far, I can't give you a more exact answer.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 08:50:48 PM by MikeK »

JayDLewis

TPiR Wii
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 10:13:13 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'196856\' date=\'Sep 10 2008, 07:36 PM\']
The bulletpoints for the DS and Wii games are pretty much the same as what Matt said with a handful of changes...

[/quote]

I asked "JC" over at g-r.net about this. He said that their engine is 2D. Since the Miis are 3D characters...
QWIZX.com  -- A little bit of everything

clemon79

TPiR Wii
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 11:11:10 PM »
[quote name=\'JayDLewis\' post=\'196869\' date=\'Sep 10 2008, 07:13 PM\']
I asked "JC" over at g-r.net about this. He said that their engine is 2D. Since the Miis are 3D characters...[/quote]
I see no technical reason why a Mii couldn't be represented as a 2D graphic. There may be legal ones, though...like, in order to use Nintendo's API's, you have to use them in their 3D form, or something. But that doesn't explain the usage of Mii's on the advertising posters in the mall track in MarioKart.

tpirfan28

TPiR Wii
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 01:07:43 PM »
Got my copy today.  Pretty much like the PC game, but with the Wiimote (duh.).  I like the fact that the first time you start the game up, boom, you set your character up and you are playing the "three strikes" mode.

I've played Plinko, Cliffhangers, Check-Out, Three Strikes, It's In The Bag, and Hole in One.
  • Plinko:  Plays straight like TV, hover over the top of the board and press A to drop.
  • Cliffhangers...I played for a car.  Exactly the same as TV (they don't reveal ARPs if not right).
  • Check-Out:  Four products instead of five.  Plays the same.  First time out, my difference was $2.01.  Boo.
  • Three Strikes:  OH THE HORROR.  Played for a Lincoln and without the free digit and with one strike.  Oh, it was played that way on the show....
  • It's in the Bag:  Four products instead of five, and matching prices to the product (as opposed to product to price on TV).
  • Hole in One:  Four products instead of five, and I played for a $20,000 cash prize.  $500 bonus for perfect pricing.  Oh, and you use the Wiimote to putt.  Tres cool.
Solid game, probably more fun with friends instead of by yourself.

EDIT:  Just played Master Key...and when it's time to do the locks, you actually use the remote to turn the keys.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 01:56:30 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

clemon79

TPiR Wii
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'196907\' date=\'Sep 11 2008, 10:07 AM\']
Hole in One:  Four products instead of five, and I played for a $20,000 cash prize.  $500 bonus for perfect pricing.  Oh, and you use the Wiimote to putt.  Tres cool.

EDIT:  Just played Master Key...and when it's time to do the locks, you actually use the remote to turn the keys.
[/quote]
Okay, I have to give them credit, those are at least slightly creative uses for the Wiimote. I was convinced they were basically gonna port the PC game straight over.

tpirfan28

TPiR Wii
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 03:53:12 PM »
After unlocking a couple more video clips, I can say they cover a lot more of Price's history than the 90s.  The two that I unlocked both had Bob with dark hair, and one even had a cutaway with Johnny O in it.

And Race Game's mechanics are a little weird, but I imagine they are ported directly from the PC version.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

MikeK

• Martha!
TPiR Wii
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 05:09:33 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'196907\' date=\'Sep 11 2008, 01:07 PM\']I've played Plinko, Cliffhangers, Check-Out, Three Strikes[/quote]
Those were the games I played in my first attempt, and in that order.

Just a very interesting co-inky-dink/statistical anomaly, considering there are 16 pricing games available.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 05:09:53 PM by MikeK »

Hastin

TPiR Wii
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 10:44:37 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'196931\' date=\'Sep 11 2008, 02:09 PM\']
Just a very interesting co-inky-dink/statistical anomaly, considering there are 16 pricing games available.
[/quote]

FYI: You'll get the same stack the first time you play on PC as well. Ludia said it's intentional to start with the two most loved TPiR games.
-Hastin :)

clemon79

TPiR Wii
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 11:00:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Hastin\' post=\'196955\' date=\'Sep 11 2008, 07:44 PM\']
FYI: You'll get the same stack the first time you play on PC as well. Ludia said it's intentional to start with the two most loved TPiR games.[/quote]
Clever, considering their initial profit model revolved around having no more than 30 minutes to suck someone in.

Jumpondees

TPiR Wii
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 11:07:18 PM »
I'm curious to try it out...I've been playing the PC game for a while, and I'm waiting for the good folks at the Pittsburgh Gamefly warehouse to ship my copy across town.

MikeK

• Martha!
TPiR Wii
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 11:12:40 PM »
Additional items I noticed while playing the game tonight...

*  No bonus spin nor a $1000 bonus for getting $1 in a spinoff.

*  There are some grocery items in small prize games.  For instance, one of the small prizes in a Plinko playing was a 20-pack of toilet paper.

*  This one bugged me just a smidge...  One of the unlockable videos was sponsored by Toyota.  I understand advertising in a free game, but on a console game which cost cash money?  Real tacky.

*  One which gave me a chuckle--if a price in It's in the Bag is matched correctly, the price of the item is added to your total.  After choking at Contestant's Row and blowing IitB while going for both the $16K prize and the unlockable video associated with IitB, my grand total was $8.

clemon79

TPiR Wii
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 11:40:32 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'196964\' date=\'Sep 11 2008, 08:12 PM\']
*  This one bugged me just a smidge...  One of the unlockable videos was sponsored by Toyota.  I understand advertising in a free game, but on a console game which cost cash money?  Real tacky.
[/quote]
I guess you haven't played Burnout Paradise, Battlefield, any of the Tony Hawks, or any EA Sports game published in at least the last five years, hmm? :)

Hell, the hockey game has dynamic boards, they can change the ads over the course of the season. It's really kinda neat to see, which is EXACTLY the reaction that both EA and the advertiser wants me to have.

MikeK

• Martha!
TPiR Wii
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'196968\' date=\'Sep 11 2008, 11:40 PM\']I guess you haven't played Burnout Paradise, Battlefield, any of the Tony Hawks, or any EA Sports game published in at least the last five years, hmm? :)[/quote]
To answer your (presumably rhetorical) question, I got NHL 08 for the PS2 last week since I read it's the best EA NHL game since NHL 94 for the Genesis, which I'm sure I've raved about here at least once.  (Was $10 new at Micro Center...CHEAP!)  Haven't played NHL 08 yet since the game wants about 4 MB of memory and because of that darned TPiR game.  I'm mulling over what to delete from existing PS2 memory cards since I'm not up to buying more memory for a single game.

The Toyota ad was unexpected.  There were no ads attached to 6 or 7 videos I have unlocked.  It sticks out like a sore thumb.