Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another TPIR Change  (Read 32671 times)

Matt Ottinger

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2008, 01:40:21 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197268\' date=\'Sep 15 2008, 01:29 PM\']Yeah...that's a pretty neat effect with the blue screen, but not at all comparable to what's being done today.  Actually, I'd say the '70s version is a much better idea.[/quote]
I agree, at least from the pictures, because in the 70s version, at least the chroma wall was something when it wasn't being keyed onto.  It reminds me a little of the green-on-green panel on the Sports Challenge set, which got keyed out when they started one of their film clips.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

Neumms

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2008, 01:49:14 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'197270\' date=\'Sep 15 2008, 12:40 PM\']
I agree, at least from the pictures, because in the 70s version, at least the chroma wall was something when it wasn't being keyed onto.  It reminds me a little of the green-on-green panel on the Sports Challenge set, which got keyed out when they started one of their film clips.
[/quote]

That was the panel next to Enberg, right? If I remember right, each team of players had a screen behind them that would have either a slide with the team logo or chroma-key color.

Which brings up this. . . are there screens big enough and do projectors work in such a way that they could do this on TPIR? I mean short of a video wall, something they could move in and out or raise and lower.

GS Guy

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2008, 03:14:59 PM »
Wow, where to begin...

I'll keep this brief. I don't agree with the green screen as described and demonstrated because I think it will be problematic for the showcases and contestants/friends during the end credits. There is not a way that looks good to move along with it, it needs to be a static shot, which is hard when you have 20 college kids celebrating with their winning friend in front of a green screen. I do like the 70s way, because there was SOMETHING to look at during credits/wins without having to use the keying effect. That seems to me like a much better option.

Second, as far as the technology, lest we forget that Wheel for many years now has been using a video wall behind the contestants with running video all show. It looks good and works well. However, for something like the trip backdrops, which are either flown in or wheeled off numerous times a day sometimes, the technology of that kind of system (which is actually a projector on WOF, not TV screens brought together) would be extremely costly and is likely why they did not go that route.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »
[quote name=\'Shell\' post=\'197235\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 05:10 PM\']
TPIR needs whatever it can to spruce it up because right now we all wish Barker was still at the helm.[/quote]Just a hint...blanket statements usually don't work too well here...there are many who are happy that Barker is gone.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 04:07:28 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

J.R.

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
[quote name=\'Shell\' post=\'197279\' date=\'Sep 15 2008, 03:05 PM\']TPIR needs whatever it can to spruce it up because right now we all wish Barker was still at the helm.[/quote]
Just like we all wanted Rich Fields to host TPIR?

/"DROOOOOOOOOOO CAREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 05:32:52 PM by J.R. »
-Joe Raygor

Robair

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2008, 08:30:55 PM »
It's "Drew's New Green Screen Show"!

Later on they'll draw in a dishwasher trying to devour Brandi.
--Robair

bscripps

• Button-Pushing Monkey
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2008, 12:47:34 AM »
I can't remember if this has been mentioned yet in the thousands and thousands of pages on TPiR, but the daytime show is officially in HD starting with the season premiere next Monday.  The press release follows; there are a few things vaguely "spoilerish", but I don't think it's anything that hasn't been mentioned here already...

CBS'S "THE PRICE IS RIGHT," TELEVISION'S LONGEST-RUNNING GAME SHOW, WITH HOST DREW CAREY, TO HAVE 37TH SEASON PREMIERE
ON MONDAY, SEPT. 22

Show To Be Aired in HD For the First Time In Daytime

CBS's THE PRICE IS RIGHT, television's longest-running game show, with host Drew Carey, will have its 37th season premiere Monday, Sept. 22 (11:00 AM-12:00 Noon, ET; 10:00-11:00 AM, PT), on the CBS Television Network.

The new season will find some of Price's classic games updated and more money to be won, as well as a brand-new game added to the lineup. In addition, the set has been given a fresher look, and for the first time in daytime, the show will be aired in HD.

This season is the first time the money in the daytime bonus spin on The Wheel has increased since the bonus spin was introduced nearly 30 years ago. After first hitting $1 on the Wheel (and winning $1,000), the contestant can win $25,000 (up from $10,000) on a bonus spin if he lands on the $1 spot again. And if he lands on one of the green spaces instead of the $1 spot during the bonus spin, he could win $10,000 (up from $5,000).

In addition to the bonus spin increases, classic THE PRICE IS RIGHT games "Punch-a-Bunch" and "Check Game" are updated with bigger prizes to give away.

The new game, called "Gas Money," will makes its debut in the season premiere. To win a car and up to $10,000, the contestant must guess the actual retail price of the car from among five potential prices, with the chance to accumulate cash along the way.

THE PRICE IS RIGHT, the longest-running game show in television history, is hosted by Drew Carey. Produced by FremantleMedia North America, THE PRICE IS RIGHT is broadcast weekdays (11:00 AM-12:00 Noon, ET; 10:00-11:00 AM, PT) on the CBS Television Network.

Ben Scripps. Professional button-pushing monkey.

Clay Zambo

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2008, 11:03:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Joe Mello\' post=\'197251\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 11:22 PM\']
As an aside, if Price was so worried about green-on-green, couldn't they just use a blue screen instead?[/quote]

Aren't blue clothes a little more prevalent than green?  But anyway, whatever color they use, there's gonna be an issue.

/Thought he saw a purple screen once.

That was a purple cow.
czambo@mac.com

TenPoundHammer

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2008, 09:56:34 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'197188\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 01:42 PM\']I don't think it makes a damn bit of difference.  It certainly won't deter me from watching the show.[/quote]

Agreed. As long as TPIR sticks to its basic format of six pricing games, two wheel spins, one showcase, and a set that looks better than the pastel vomit in the latter-day Bob era, I can't complain too much.

WhammyGuy28

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2008, 01:56:52 AM »
Add me to the list of not really getting why this is any sort of big deal.  Even though contestant sees a green screen instead of a collage skin, contestant still hears the destination, how long the trip is, etc, and only reacts to that, not what is seen on the skin/green screen.  A green screen in place of a skin does not change a reaction that's more auditory than anything.

So the audience won't see a collage related to the destination anymore.  Boo-frickin'-hoo.  They'll listen to Rich same as the contestant.  The home audience's experience with the trip prize announcement will not change at all.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 01:58:48 AM by WhammyGuy28 »
"What kind of man would live in a world where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all."

-- Charles Augustus Lindberg

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2008, 02:02:17 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyGuy28\' post=\'197408\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 12:56 AM\']
Add me to the list of not really getting why this is any sort of big deal.  Even though contestant sees a green screen instead of a collage skin, contestant still hears the destination, how long the trip is, etc, and only reacts to that, not what is seen on the skin/green screen.  A green screen in place of a skin does not change a reaction that's more auditory than anything.

So the audience won't see a collage related to the destination anymore.  Boo-frickin'-hoo.  They'll listen to Rich same as the contestant.  The home audience's experience with the trip prize announcement will not change at all.
[/quote]

That's about as well put as I've seen it put.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2008, 02:31:08 AM »
[quote name=\'WhammyGuy28\' post=\'197408\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:56 AM\']Add me to the list of not really getting why this is any sort of big deal.  Even though contestant sees a green screen instead of a collage skin, contestant still hears the destination, how long the trip is, etc, and only reacts to that, not what is seen on the skin/green screen.[/quote]
You seriously don't expect anybody's reaction to be, "Why the hell are they showing me a green wall?"

And you seriously don't get the problems with trying to shoot a green screen that's concealed behind an almost entirely green door?

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2008, 03:33:29 AM »
I don't agree with the green screen as described and demonstrated because I think it will be problematic for the showcases and contestants/friends during the end credits. There is not a way that looks good to move along with it, it needs to be a static shot, which is hard when you have 20 college kids celebrating with their winning friend in front of a green screen.
Not to worry. Bart has it all figured out.

This comes from the same mind that brought us the ever-popular Hollywood mural.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2008, 03:41:36 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197414\' date=\'Sep 16 2008, 11:31 PM\']
You seriously don't expect anybody's reaction to be, "Why the hell are they showing me a green wall?"[/quote]
No. I don't.
And you seriously don't get the problems with trying to shoot a green screen that's concealed behind an almost entirely green door?
In the absence of any evidence to the contrary, I am forced to conclude that they tested whatever technology they decided to use prior to deciding it should be used at a live taping.

If it does end up being an issue, I'll happily eat my words.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

MTCesquire

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2008, 03:50:37 AM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197414\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 02:31 AM\']
You seriously don't expect anybody's reaction to be, "Why the hell are they showing me a green wall?"

[/quote]

1) If it were me on the show and I got lucky enough to make it onstage to play a pricing game to win a trip to Where-The-Hell-Ever, the LAST thing on my mind would be, "OMG, is this show really that budget-conscious that they can't even paint a picture of the place I'm gonna go?  Laaaaaame....".  After I go bonkers (pun intended, sue me) over the fact that I could be winning a trip, the next thing I'm gonna focus on is the game I gotta win to get there and the best strategy to do so.  Minus the strategy part, I guarantee you every last contestant is thinking the same thing.

And even if the fact that there's a green screen instead of a mural DOES enter their head, I bet their thought would be "Huh, a green screen.  All this time I thought it was artwork.  Oh well, that's television I guess".  I mean, really.  You're a contestant on a game show.  Even if you were on a show with a set as ugly and dysfunctional as "Face the Music", would you really let the show's production values cloud the fact that you're on TV AND have the chance to win free* stuff, an opportunity that the majority of folks in this world will NEVER get?

2) EDIT: Chris L. beat me to the punch and said what I had just typed.  Damn me and my slow typing fingers. :-)  However, I will add this:

Let's say you're right and the green screen/green door theory turned out to be a problem. Worse case scenario is that they'll cut to a shot of the big door after it opens to show the trip.  What that means for the folks at home is a one-second delay between "What do we have for Ernie today, Rich?" and them actually showing what it is they have for Ernie, which is something that only us game show heads would take notice to, and about 50%^ of us wouldn't even care or would eventually get over it.

*Taxes on prizes, so they're not technically free blah, blah, blah...
^[Jim Perry]Is the actual number higher or lower?[/JP]
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 03:52:34 AM by MTCesquire »