Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Another TPIR Change  (Read 32666 times)

Steve Gavazzi

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2008, 04:12:58 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197493\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 03:38 PM\']Which is valid, but also counterable with "and if you haven't seen an actual reaction to the new setup, and you're gonna play the "you haven't been there so you don't know" card, then you can't use how you *think* it will play out as an argument as to why it is bad."[/quote]
Very true.  I know some people on Golden-Road have been in the studio since this change was made...I wonder if any of them actually caught the contestant reactions on the monitors.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2008, 04:22:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Steve Gavazzi\' post=\'197498\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:12 PM\']
Very true.  I know some people on Golden-Road have been in the studio since this change was made...I wonder if any of them actually caught the contestant reactions on the monitors.[/quote]
Me too. And this has been my point all along, and I am encouraged that we're actually finding some common ground on this: Until you see how any of these changes play out in practice, *you can't say they're bad.* I mean, honestly: if the contestant reaction *isn't* altered by the CK board (and it may be, or it may not be; I don't know any more than you do), and it saves the production money and doesn't ruin the look of the show (TO THE VIEWER AT HOME, which is what ultimately matters; I could give a rip what it looks like to the studio audience who quite honestly could use some Valium anyhow), one would say that's a good thing, isn't it?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 04:24:27 PM by clemon79 »
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2008, 04:35:18 PM »
...wait, what? When did I get flamed? I don't remember that at all. I remember making my point, Steve conceding it, and then that whole Steve/everyone else flame war going back to where it was before I made my point to begin with. The whole reason my point was dropped is because it was conceded and therefore no further discussion was to be made on it.
Cool it, please.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »
if the contestant reaction *isn't* altered by the CK board
Contestant reaction isn't constant, Mr. Lemon. They all react differently.

Why did they get rid of the Plinko sign? They were missing the contestant reactions.

clemon79

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2008, 05:01:35 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'197503\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 01:38 PM\']
Contestant reaction isn't constant, Mr. Lemon. They all react differently.[/quote]
I'm well aware, thanks, but one of John and Steve's talking points against this was that the reactions would, on average, become noticeably more subdued.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2008, 06:13:27 PM »
They could have used chroma-key 36 years ago but didn't for a reason. So could LMAD. They've always wanted contestants to see actual prizes, not pictures of prizes. They figured the show for the contestants and studio audience is just as important as the show on the screen. If you dispute this, go see the Las Vegas show some time.

In the same vein, you don't need a model to show off a trip or a car. You could simply open the doors to a green wall with a picture of Paris or a Buick Riviera keyed in, and no model. I've seen it happen in early shows and you definitely get the feeling there's something missing. You could also eliminate all music and save the show a bundle. Music isn't functional but it sets the atmosphere. Models, music and trip walls add pizzaz.

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'197511\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 05:13 PM\']
They could have used chroma-key 36 years ago but didn't for a reason. So could LMAD. They've always wanted contestants to see actual prizes, not pictures of prizes. [/quote]So what do you call the trip skins, then?
--Mark
Phil 4:13

tpirfan28

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2008, 06:17:52 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'197513\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 06:14 PM\']
They could have used chroma-key 36 years ago but didn't for a reason. So could LMAD. They've always wanted contestants to see actual prizes, not pictures of prizes. [/quote]So what do you call the trip skins, then?
[/quote]
I think he means if the physical prize (a car/a TV/a sofa) was available, you use that instead of a picture.

Doesn't explain the use of swimming pool skins before, though.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

ClockGameJohn

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2008, 06:37:55 PM »
[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'197488\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 03:31 PM\']
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'197427\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 06:08 AM\']
You've:

A.  Never been to the studio.
B.  Never been a contestant.
C.  All of the above.
[/quote]What was the point of this?  You guys are "more right" [sic] because you've been there before?  Many have technical expertise in the field of broadcasting, many don't.  But not being at the studio doesn't make their opinions any less valid.
[/quote]

My point is pretty simple, and no it's not being "more right" just because I've been there.  I was a contestant and vividly recall the experience and how I had absolutely no clue (be it from shock, excitement, or just plain volume) I could not hear a thing that Rod was announcing.  It doesn't so much have to do with what the guy sitting next to the announcer in the studio can hear, it's what the contestant can hear or see.  They pick 9 people that they like for a reason.  It's about those 9 people.

[quote name=\'Modor\' post=\'197513\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 06:14 PM\']
[/quote]

You mustn't be serious.  Oh, and the green screen has already escalated to more than just trips now.  

Eventually, they can just come to my house and chroma key me into the show, saving valuable studio time and costs.

Steve is very right when he understands that there is a formula for what has been successful on this show.  I'm just sorry it turns into a "whose dick is bigger" every time there are points raised.  That's the point of a discussion forum, right?  I read each and every reply here in full, and take each and every persons comments into account.  I may realize that someone I don't generally agree with has made a valid point as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 06:38:47 PM by ClockGameJohn »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
Another TPIR Change
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2008, 06:57:02 PM »
[quote name=\'ClockGameJohn\' post=\'197515\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 05:37 PM\']They pick 9 people that they like for a reason.  It's about those 9 people.[/quote]Its also about producing a quality program for television. If they think a green screen is best, then that's the decision they've made.  While it may suck (I think the art cards are cool), its also not that big of a deal.
Steve is very right when he understands that there is a formula for what has been successful on this show.
Yes. Its 6 IUFBs, 6 pricing games, two showcase showdowns, and a showcase.  None of that is changing, is it?  If so, the main fabric of the show is still intact.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 07:09:05 PM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

rwalker

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2008, 07:20:18 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'197202\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 03:18 PM\']
The slightest change on TPIR and Gavazzi and ClockGameJohn are instantly turning into Chicken Littles. Again.

Why am I not surprised in the least?
[/quote]

The sky is falling...it really did. I had 85 mph winds and a whole lot of damage(not to mention no power for 2 damn days on top of that).....that was a helluva lot more important. I needed a reality check without TV to figure out game shows are a hobby, just that, a hobby. Some people should take the hint.

rwalker

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »
[quote name=\'Shell\' post=\'197235\' date=\'Sep 14 2008, 06:10 PM\']
What's wrong with a complete overhaul set, and everything of TPIR?  I mean they've already done a 180 by hiring Drew Carey who brings as much excitement to the game as George F. Will.  The show looks tired, dated, and needs a complete fresh look.  Whether it's a green screen, or computer monitors, or whatever, TPIR needs whatever it can to spruce it up because right now we all wish Barker was still at the helm.  Carey is out of place.  I'd love to see a new set, new host, and a whole new show, not just a cheesy makeover of Barker's show which almost looks like a send-up of it's former self.
[/quote]

That comment will be making them "shiat pickles" without a doubt. You're on thin ice imho.

clemon79

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2008, 07:31:40 PM »
[quote name=\'rwalker\' post=\'197524\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 04:24 PM\']
That comment will be making them "shiat pickles" without a doubt. You're on thin ice imho.[/quote]
Somehow I don't think it's him.

TroubadourNando

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »
This is only partially tongue-in-cheek: isn't it possible in this day and age to green screen every single part of the show?

TalkingHeadsFan

Another TPIR Change
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2008, 07:49:10 PM »
[quote name=\'TroubadourNando\' post=\'197528\' date=\'Sep 17 2008, 07:41 PM\']
This is only partially tongue-in-cheek: isn't it possible in this day and age to green screen every single part of the show?
[/quote]

Anybody remember VH1's "My Generation" music game show? Their entire set was virtually one huge green screen. That and what about Family Channel's "Paranoia"? I can only imagine how foolish that set looked in person.

-Doug