Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud surveys  (Read 2058 times)

Ian Wallis

Family Feud surveys
« on: September 18, 2008, 05:55:01 PM »
This is something we haven't talked about a lot around here, but I remember early Family Feud episodes where Gene would do ticket plugs, and also plug an address to write to if you wanted to be on their "survey mailing list".

I wonder how many surveys they actually sent out.  Was it 100 even?  What if somebody didn't return it?  If it was more than 100, did they take just the first 100 that were returned?  Or, did they abandon mailing lists early on and just asked 100 people walking around outside the studio?

Anyone have any info?
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

Kevin Prather

Family Feud surveys
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 06:13:58 PM »
Didn't they sometimes use the audience?

tvrandywest

Family Feud surveys
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 08:46:48 PM »
I remember lists of Match Game super match fill-in-the-blank questionaires being distributed to TPiR audiences.

When Feud requested home audience members to participate in the surveys they were inundated, and had enough respondents to last for years, rotating among the thousands of participants. When participants were sent surveys the protocol was to capture the first 200 that were received back at GT, then use a geographic weighting system to select the 100 to be used.

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:47:32 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

joshg

Family Feud surveys
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 08:59:15 PM »
I actually filled out surveys during the later part of the Combs version. I was in high school at the time and I had a report deadline looming. I narrowed the report subject to two choices : the Corvette and 'Family Feud' (see why I'm not a writer). To prepare for the report, I wrote to MGP and asked a whole bunch of questions about the show. One of the questions was about the surveys and such. Howard Felsher sent a lot of things in return ( a "shell script", blank question cards with typewritten descriptions on them and promo materials. A few days later, a white legal size envelope showed up with "New Family Feud" stamped on it. Inside were a few pages of questions to answer. Needless to say, I started to keep track of the questions and what I answered to see if my answer made the survey. I still have the notes I made somewhere.

Josh

/didn't go on many dates in high school because of this
Because Chiffon Wrinkles...

HYHYBT

Family Feud surveys
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 05:35:26 PM »
When Feud requested home audience members to participate in the surveys they were inundated, and had enough respondents to last for years, rotating among the thousands of participants. When participants were sent surveys the protocol was to capture the first 200 that were received back at GT, then use a geographic weighting system to select the 100 to be used.
Aha, a bonus to the rule about an answer having to score at least 2.
"If you ask me to repeat this I'm gonna punch you right in the nose" -- Geoff Edwards, Play the Percentages