Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Trivial Pursuit  (Read 7726 times)

Gus

Trivial Pursuit
« on: September 19, 2008, 10:29:33 AM »
Premiere ep of Trivial Pursuit came down this morning. Here's the gameplay rundown:

Starts off with three players. Six categories, obviously, which (in this ep at least) roughly correspond to the actual TVP categories. Computer randomly picks a category and value (seemed to be about $300-$600 in increments of $50) for each question. Correct answers by the studio contestants put the value into the studio bank; triple-stumpers put it in America's bank. First two players to fill three of their wedges advance, lagger leaves. First question is an all-play; the player who gets it right gets the all next questions all to himself, until they either miss or get their third wedge; if they miss, the other two can buzz-in on the same question. If you answer a question in a category you already have a wedge for, nothing special happens, just like the board game. The first player to get to three wedges sits out until the second person makes it.

Second round is entirely all-play, all questions worth $1,000. No categories here, so correct answers just fill up a wedge. First to get to six advances.

Final round is exactly six questions. First question is worth $500, second is $1000, then $2000, $3k, $4k, and $5k. The categories are shown at the outset, and the order that they are asked in is shuffled. Right answers put money in the studio bank, wrong answers or no-answers put it in America's bank. Whoever's bank is bigger at the end wins their bank; for America, it means it's divided evenly among all the people who had their questions asked that day, plus America's Captain, who shows up live on webcam and asks several questions throughout.

Christopher is a tiny bit stiff, but given that it's his first game show episode ever, he wasn't that bad. No Patrick Wayne or Jim Caldwell for sure. Set is good, game is good, material is good, pacing is good. Echelons better than Temptation or Crosswords. I'm psyched.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 11:53:46 AM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'197685\' date=\'Sep 19 2008, 07:29 AM\']
I'm psyched.[/quote]
All due respect, I don't know why. I just do not look at that and say "Oh yeah. THAT'S the next great format."
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

BrandonFG

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 11:55:07 AM »
Gameplay sounds interesting enough, and I like the elimination format of first-to-three. The play until wrong or reach three wedges reminds me a little of TJW90. In terms of distribution of money, and in doing a little math, looks like an average payday will be in the $10-15,000 range, so about what an average Syn-Deal contestant makes. Not bad, and now I look forward to watching on my lunch break this Monday.

Gus, two questions, neither of which will affect me watching the show come Monday. 1) Was there an announcer, and 2) how difficult would you say were the questions? The pilot clip that Debmar-Mercury posted gave me the impression of lower second-tier Millionaire-level questions.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Joe Mello

• has hit the time release button
Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »
Hmmm, interesting.  And at least from this rule sheet it looks like there's a decent amount of dosh being thrown around, a very good incentive for people who want to submit questions.
This signature is currently under construction.

J.R.

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 02:49:16 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'197685\' date=\'Sep 19 2008, 09:29 AM\']Echelons better than Temptation or Crosswords.[/quote]
I've had bowel movements that were more entertaining than those two. :-)
-Joe Raygor

Gus

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 03:20:22 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'197687\' date=\'Sep 19 2008, 10:55 AM\']1) Was there an announcer,[/quote]
There was a voiceover in the show open, but nothing after that.

[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'197687\' date=\'Sep 19 2008, 10:55 AM\']and 2) how difficult would you say were the questions? The pilot clip that Debmar-Mercury posted gave me the impression of lower second-tier Millionaire-level questions.[/quote]
I'd say main game ones were lower or middle second-tier, a few bonus rounders approached the upper second-tier.

[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197686\' date=\'Sep 19 2008, 10:53 AM\']
All due respect, I don't know why. I just do not look at that and say "Oh yeah. THAT'S the next great format."
[/quote]
Who said I can't be excited about something even though it's not the absolute best thing evar?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 03:20:42 PM by Gus »

clemon79

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:28:59 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'197712\' date=\'Sep 19 2008, 12:20 PM\']
Who said I can't be excited about something even though it's not the absolute best thing evar?[/quote]
Certainly not I. I was just saying that I just don't see much in there to get excited about.

NickS

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 10:16:57 PM »
[quote name=\'Gus\' post=\'197685\' date=\'Sep 19 2008, 09:29 AM\']
Whoever's bank is bigger at the end wins their bank; for America, it means it's divided evenly among all the people who had their questions asked that day, plus America's Captain, who shows up live on webcam and asks several questions throughout.
[/quote]

A couple of other notes:  If America wins, they split - if the Contestant wins, they get the chance to go double or nothing on one last question.  You could be looking at a theoretical $40k payday.  Doubtful, but it could happen.

Also, set-wise, it's nice to see the floor light up in the same color as the category.  Nice little touch IMO.

Robert Hutchinson

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2008, 01:22:00 AM »
This format seems like it could lead to a looooot of stretching if you get a couple of smart players.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

Craig Karlberg

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2008, 04:31:03 AM »
I just wish a station in my neck of the woods airs it at a decent time.  No way I'm gonna watch it at 4 AM here in Philly(WTXF-TV Fox 29).  The only other option left is WFMZ-TV 69 out of Allentown PA(If they picked it up) which I highly doubt.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 04:31:55 AM by Craig Karlberg »

clemon79

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 06:26:13 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'197743\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 01:31 AM\']
I just wish a station in my neck of the woods airs it at a decent time.  No way I'm gonna watch it at 4 AM here in Philly(WTXF-TV Fox 29).[/quote]
If only a device existed, that used magnetic tape, perhaps housed in a cassette or some sort, or maybe some sort of digital media format, that could record video for later playback at the whim of the viewer. Then all of these "problems" would just go away.

I have no idea what such a video-cassette or digital-video recording device would be called, though.

vtown7

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2008, 08:22:03 AM »
Betamax?

R.

MikeK

• Martha!
Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2008, 09:27:40 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197746\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 06:26 AM\']If only a device existed, that used magnetic tape, perhaps housed in a cassette or some sort, or maybe some sort of digital media format, that could record video for later playback at the whim of the viewer. Then all of these "problems" would just go away.

I have no idea what such a video-cassette or digital-video recording device would be called, though.[/quote]
Pfft.  When Craiggers sees all the cables and buttons involved in setting up such a magical box, he'll toss it out the window like a TV when there is an Italian contestant on Wheel of Fortune.

tpirfan28

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2008, 11:02:04 AM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'197746\' date=\'Sep 20 2008, 06:26 AM\']
I have no idea what such a video-cassette or digital-video recording device would be called, though.
[/quote]
Kinescope!

/that's what I'd have to do to record it.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

JackSpader

Trivial Pursuit
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2008, 11:24:50 AM »
[quote name=\'Robert Hutchinson\' post=\'197741\' date=\'Sep 19 2008, 11:22 PM\']
This format seems like it could lead to a looooot of stretching if you get a couple of smart players.
[/quote]

How is that a problem?  Two smart players would actually turn the game into a nail-biter.

I mean I feel that this game will be one of the better new formats I have seen in years.  So far the format definitely blows the Family Channel show out of the water.  

My only gripe is that they should change the name of the team of internet players to something like the "Web".  That might remove the problem of labeling the outside players as "America" because some viewers at home might see that as offensively labeling America as a bad guy.  Other than that, I'm watching Monday.