Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Definition questions  (Read 2585 times)

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Definition questions
« on: October 23, 2008, 10:57:51 PM »
I summon the vast trove of knowledge known as the user base of the GSF to help me out with these queries.

As you can tell my questions center around "Definition."

1) On average, how many puzzles/definitions did they get to play in a half-hour show?

2) Were the defintions/puzzles always pun-like in nature or did they try to switch it up every now and again?

(I ask because from what little I've actually seen of Definition, it seems like a fun little game and an interesting concept. Also, is there anyone who can direct me to a full episode online?)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

CarbonCpy

Definition questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 01:19:05 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'200358\' date=\'Oct 23 2008, 10:57 PM\']
I summon the vast trove of knowledge known as the user base of the GSF to help me out with these queries.

As you can tell my questions center around "Definition."

1) On average, how many puzzles/definitions did they get to play in a half-hour show?

2) Were the defintions/puzzles always pun-like in nature or did they try to switch it up every now and again?

(I ask because from what little I've actually seen of Definition, it seems like a fun little game and an interesting concept. Also, is there anyone who can direct me to a full episode online?)
[/quote]

Going from the couple of episodes I've seen, it was around 7-8 per episode (counting bonus definitions).  And they were all puns, every blessed, terrible one of 'em.

Craig Karlberg

Definition questions
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 04:24:14 AM »
Yeah, 8 seems to be the average # of definitions per show since each match was a best 2 out of 3 + the bonus.  So, theoretically, you'd have no less than 2 matches per show.  I seem to recall some shows may've had as much as 10 definitions used(if you coumt the openimg one used before they actually started the show).  Probably because there were tournament matches every once in awhile.

As for the punny-ness, yes they're punny though beit bad at best sometimes but that's why the show was what it was because there were writters who could come up with these things that might be clever to them, but sometimes come off as just plain mediocre at best.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:24:50 AM by Craig Karlberg »

mbclev

Definition questions
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2008, 02:44:28 AM »
Viewers could also send in definitions to the show.  I sent in some and a couple of them got on the air.

Definition:  The Russian Revolution

Solution: Tsar Wars (the show had it as "Czar Wars")

Definition:  What the Boy Scout said when his car horn was fixed.

Solution:  Beep repaired (a take-off on "Be Prepared")

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Definition questions
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2008, 02:52:00 AM »
[quote name=\'mbclev\' post=\'200435\' date=\'Oct 25 2008, 01:44 AM\']
Viewers could also send in definitions to the show.  I sent in some and a couple of them got on the air.

Definition:  The Russian Revolution

Solution: Tsar Wars (the show had it as "Czar Wars")

Definition:  What the Boy Scout said when his car horn was fixed.

Solution:  Beep repaired (a take-off on "Be Prepared")
[/quote]

That much I was aware of...but it's cool that you got them on.

(I love the first one. Well punned.)
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

Loogaroo

Definition questions
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2008, 11:55:37 PM »
They probably changed the spelling on the first one to catch a team trying to get away with giving away a Z.
You're in a room. You're wearing a silly hat.
There are letters on the floor. They spell "NOPE".

Jimmy Owen

Definition questions
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 12:12:34 AM »
[quote name=\'Loogaroo\' post=\'200468\' date=\'Oct 25 2008, 11:55 PM\']
They probably changed the spelling on the first one to catch a team trying to get away with giving away a Z.
[/quote]

Don't you mean Zed?  :)
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.