Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Press Your Luck" to debut on all major gaming platforms in  (Read 8630 times)

chad1m

"Press Your Luck" to debut on all major gaming platforms in
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:37:58 PM »
According to a press release from earlier today, Ludia has obtained the license to create video games based on the 80s game show Press Your Luck. The article touts that the game will "retain all of the favorite elements        of the classic show, rendered with a dynamic redesign, including        hundreds of new trivia questions to answer, “spins”        on an interactive giant game board, and the iconic Whammy providing        never-before-seen animated antics." Customizable avatars, single and multiplayer modes and an achievement/reward mode will be available too.

The game is slated for a 2009 release on PCs, major consoles,and iPhones/iPod Touches.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:38:24 PM by chad1m »

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »
The "dynamic redesign" part of the equation makes me a little nervous (because we saw how well that turned out for Whammy!) but otherwise this could be really good. I'm not all that impressed with Ludia as a casual game developer, but PYL is really a natural for that space.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

tyshaun1

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 04:05:22 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'200666\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 03:37 PM\']
Customizable avatars, single and multiplayer modes and an achievement/reward mode will be available too.

[/quote]
Ah...It seems that they are aiming for a 360/PS3 release as well. My guess it will be on Primetime, but if it's anywhere near the craptacularness that was the DVD version, thanks but no thanks.

Tyshaun

clemon79

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 04:08:52 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'200673\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 01:05 PM\']
but if it's anywhere near the craptacularness that was the DVD version, thanks but no thanks.[/quote]
I strongly suspect that the DVD version being crap had a lot more to do with the limitations of DVD-Video-based gaming than it did the inability to do a video game based on the IP well.

J.R.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:11:17 PM »
[quote name=\'tyshaun1\' post=\'200673\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 03:05 PM\']but if it's anywhere near the craptacularness that was the DVD version, thanks but no thanks.[/quote]
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are the gameplay problems with the PYL DVD game?
-Joe Raygor

tyshaun1

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 04:37:09 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'200677\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 04:11 PM\']
If you don't mind me asking, what exactly are the gameplay problems with the PYL DVD game?
[/quote]

The biggest issue (which Chris makes a good point on) is that when you "stop" the board, you have absolutely no idea what you actually hit until the DVD tells you; where the screen freezes has no bearing at all. Plus, IMO, the game being 3 rounds made it drag on too long, especially when your DVD has to constantly jump from scene to scene.

I do have faith that this should be a excellent conversion, as long as they don't feel the need to tack on any unnecessary quirks to the game (I'm looking at you, Whammy!).

Tyshaun
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:37:29 PM by tyshaun1 »

tpirfan28

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 04:48:17 PM »
Yay.  Needs buzzers, tho.

/I have faith.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

chad1m

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 05:31:50 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'200681\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 04:48 PM\'] Yay.  Needs buzzers, tho.[/quote]Maybe, with a Wii release, we'll be able to simulate smacking the buzzer with the Wiimote?

clemon79

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 05:35:09 PM »
If they do it for the Xbox, and they're at all smart, they will include Big Button Pad support.

Understand, though, that I do not credit Ludia AT ALL with being that smart, only that this particular IP, so long as they stick to the script, would be pretty hard to fark up.

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:43:44 PM »
This game would be pretty hard to mess up, but we've seen people burn the eggs before.

Taking something from Whammy, however, it would be neat if they added the first round from that version as a mini-game. I know they did something like that for the "bonus round" on the slot version.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 05:51:43 PM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

clemon79

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 05:54:57 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'200686\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 02:43 PM\']
This game would be pretty hard to mess up, but we've seen people burn the eggs before. [/quote]
That would be the "sticking to the script" thing to which I refer. :)

MikeK

• Martha!
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 06:29:05 PM »
[quote name=\'rollercoaster87\' post=\'200686\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 05:43 PM\']This game would be pretty hard to mess up...[/quote]
Obviously someone hasn't played the PYL handheld game.  Good heavens that game's broken to heck.

*  1 player only
*  No CPU players
*  Spins passed in round 1 show up in round 2
*  One of the spaces marked whammy is a cash square
*  The values are really screwy (SUV in round 1 worth $30K+, while cash squares in R2 are as low as $250)

At least the Whammy animations are respectable.

I'd take a $10-15 flier if it was on WiiWare or XBox Live Marketplace.  Surely this game won't get a $40 pricepoint...

If they do it for the Xbox, and they're at all smart, they will include Big Button Pad support.
Do you mean the controllers which came with Scene It for the 360?  If so, I'm all for that.

tpirfan28

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'200683\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 05:31 PM\']
Maybe, with a Wii release, we'll be able to simulate smacking the buzzer with the Wiimote?
[/quote]
I hope not.  I'd rather just have a "push the button-stop the board" than that.  Unless they can get some sort of super-motion-sensitive specific action, you could be stopping the board when you don't want to.  

[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'200689\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 06:29 PM\']
I'd take a $10-15 flier if it was on WiiWare or XBox Live Marketplace.  Surely this game won't get a $40 pricepoint...[/quote]I'd want the WiiWare, but since I just filled my Wii memory....

(Yes.  I realize that you can MOVE to SD.  But it's way too slow.  And I'd rather keep my SimCity, Kirby's Dream Course, and F-Zeros readily playable.  They need external storage support, but that discussion doesn't belong here.)

And regarding price point...the Fifth Grader game came out for Wii recently, and is tagged at $30.  I'd pay $30 for a disc game of quality.

/still regretting $40 for TPIR, sadly.

[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'200689\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 06:29 PM\']
Do you mean the controllers which came with Scene It for the 360?  If so, I'm all for that.
[/quote]I wish that those Buzz! people would port one to the Wii, and use the expansion on the remotes to plug them in.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

GrandMasterGalvatron

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 11:43:19 PM »
I actually don't have any gs games on my 360 (Gee thanks a lot Sony >_>), so this will be a welcome addition.

WhammyPower

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 01:22:14 PM »
[quote name=\'tpirfan28\' post=\'200690\' date=\'Oct 29 2008, 05:38 PM\'] (Yes.  I realize that you can MOVE to SD.  But it's way too slow.  And I'd rather keep my SimCity, Kirby's Dream Course, and F-Zeros readily playable.  They need external storage support, but that discussion doesn't belong here.)[/quote]
You can also delete channels and games that you've downloaded from Wii Shop, and redownload them later for no charge.