Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Pat Sajak on "Today"?  (Read 3664 times)

vtown7

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« on: October 18, 2003, 10:56:57 AM »
Was flipping around this morning and found that there was a piece on NBC about Pat having some kind of surgery/injury/something or other, due to a contestant wrapping their legs around him.

Anyone have any info?  Just curious, that's all.

Cheers,

Ryan :)

PeterMarshallFan

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2003, 11:02:14 AM »
I just saw it on MSNBC. The contestant, who won $48,000, is suing Pat for $2 million claiming Pat jumped on him and wrapped his legs around him after he won, injuring him.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2003, 11:05:09 AM by PeterMarshallFan »

Gus

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2003, 12:12:05 PM »
I saw that on FARK.com today.

Looky here. Pretty long story, actually.

vtown7

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 12:49:55 PM »
Thanks for the link.

As if the contestant release forms weren't long enough... I'm guessing they're going to get longer!

Surely Pat has sustained some injuries from other contestants though too?

Cheers,

Ryan :)
(who anticipates that the late night talk crowd will have a field day with this)

Matt Ottinger

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2003, 01:21:55 PM »
My gut instinct is that this guy doesn't have much of a chance to collect a dime.  Sony lawyers ought to be able to squash him like a bug.  I'm sure, for example, that the contestant release covers ANY injury suffered while taping, regardless of how it happened.  Proving that these particular injuries were the result of this particular five-second event three years ago will be tricky too.

Also, since when does Sajak spontaneously leap into a contestant's arms without reason?  Especially since he LOST the bonus puzzle?  That doesn't sound like something the notoriously laid-back host would do.
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

joelvanderveen

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2003, 03:53:31 PM »
When I first read this I was sure it was a joke. That is pretty "offbeat", all right. But I had to laugh at the following quote:

"My wife said that all those years we watched, Pat Sajak never jumped on any contestants," he said. "She asked me: Why you?"

mparrish11

• Marriage is the leading cause of divorce.
Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2003, 04:00:28 PM »
I saw the same story while browsing through fark.com earlier this morning, too.    It'll be interesting to see where this story goes.  My bet is on Sony settling this case to avoid lengthly and possibly damaging litigation.

Matthew
--Matt

Card Shark

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2003, 06:24:00 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 01:21 PM\'] Also, since when does Sajak spontaneously leap into a contestant's arms without reason?  Especially since he LOST the bonus puzzle?  That doesn't sound like something the notoriously laid-back host would do. [/quote]
 I agree. Especially since he lost the bonus round, it can be argued that this is his way of attempting to collect more money.
Adam Strom

Jimmy Owen

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2003, 11:30:30 PM »
When he was in the Army, was Pat ever stationed in Samoa?
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

HSquares2003

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2003, 12:10:17 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' date=\'Oct 18 2003, 10:56 AM\'] Was flipping around this morning and found that there was a piece on NBC about Pat having some kind of surgery/injury/something or other, due to a contestant wrapping their legs around him.

Anyone have any info?  Just curious, that's all.

Cheers,

Ryan :) [/quote]
 It was the host who injured the contestant, just to be sure you understood it correctly

Robert Hutchinson

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2003, 08:31:01 PM »
[quote name=\'HSquares2003\' date=\'Oct 19 2003, 11:10 AM\']It was the host who injured the contestant, just to be sure you understood it correctly[/quote]
Allegedly, just to be extra sure.
Visit my CB radio at www.twitter.com/ertchin

daveromanjr

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2003, 09:18:23 PM »
"My wife said that all those years we watched, Pat Sajak never jumped on any contestants," he said. "She asked me: Why you?"
Sounds like an E! True Hollywood Story commercial.  Picture it (Sicily, 1920) low sinister like music with a body cast on with the guy saying that.  NEXT on Wheel of Fortune: The Wheel Ain't The Only Way!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 09:18:44 PM by daveromanjr »

Clay Zambo

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2003, 01:23:44 PM »
The category for today's "Bluff the Listener" game on today's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me" (the NPR news quiz) is "Don't Drop Pat Sajak."  Three stories, each one containing the title phrase; contestant's job is to devine truth from fiction.  We know which story would have been correct, but the player chose P.J. O'Rourke's story in which "Don't Drop Pat Sajak" is a drug reference in Turkmen.  Not sure I would have bought that even if I hadn't been following this thread...
czambo@mac.com

ChuckNet

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2003, 07:18:11 PM »
My gut instinct is that this guy doesn't have much of a chance to collect a dime.

Yeah, it's gonna end up being a repeat of WWtBaM's Rob "Zodiac Boy" Gelbman fiasco.

Chuck Donegan (The Illustrious "Chuckie Baby")

zachhoran

Pat Sajak on "Today"?
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2003, 07:22:10 PM »
[quote name=\'ChuckNet\' date=\'Oct 25 2003, 06:18 PM\']
My gut instinct is that this guy doesn't have much of a chance to collect a dime.
[/quote]
 I bet the cameraman Gene Rayburn pommeled on MG almost three decades ago felt more sensation than what the contestant felt from Sajak :)