Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Upcoming TPiR pricing game changes  (Read 6365 times)

GS Guy

Upcoming TPiR pricing game changes
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2009, 07:33:35 PM »
I agree with you Chris. An offer of $5000 to $7500 cash is a great alternative, as long as the prize to be offered was already being paid for by the show and not sponsored. My only fear with hearing the idea that cash will be used in some of these game as the big prize is that rather than "substituting" a cash equivalent amount (of the paid for, not retail value), they will instead over inflate it to $10,000 because "it sounds and looks better", "$5000 looks cheap", etc. reasons, which in turn will defeat the whole purpose of offering the cash and cause them even more budget problems than already exist.

Which brings me to one weird thing- why are so many of the IUFB's not sponsored, yet when they get to a game it is a sponsored prize? Since they know the IUFB is a DEFINITE giveaway, it would seem to me to help the budget by making sure it's always sponsored and, as a result, at a much reduced cost (if any). That way, the "risk" factor for non-sponsored (paid for) items drops. Just a thought...

vtown7

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:05 PM »
Y'know, reading Chris' post, I thought, wait, you know, you can't really play Range Game for cash.  And now I worry that they'll try to make that happen.

R.

aaron sica

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2009, 07:57:47 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'206710\' date=\'Jan 20 2009, 07:36 PM\']
Y'know, reading Chris' post, I thought, wait, you know, you can't really play Range Game for cash.  And now I worry that they'll try to make that happen.

R.
[/quote]

Perhaps the contestant could be blindfolded. :)

TimK2003

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2009, 08:10:24 PM »
[quote name=\'vtown7\' post=\'206710\' date=\'Jan 20 2009, 08:36 PM\']
[/quote]

...and you would still have people who would lose the game!!!

I was thinking if they really were to go all out for replacing prize games for cash, I'd see Fremantle doing screwing with the Clock Game.

<DREW>  "Okay, Sarah, you guessed the correct amount of $1346 as the 1st prize .  And now the 2nd prize is again a mystery amount of money between $0 and $2500.  Correctly guess the amount and win it plus the $1346 amount plus a $1000 bonus!"

jmangin

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'206705\' date=\'Jan 20 2009, 06:41 PM\']
Do you have stats for other games which are likely to be played for cash instead of prize(s)?
[/quote]
I just pulled those from here.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »
you can't really play Range Game for cash
LOL! I should THINK before I type!

Wow, it's like looking inside Ted's brain!

Note to Steve: I can say that here :-P

BrandonFG

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2009, 09:54:30 PM »
[quote name=\'jmangin\' post=\'206720\' date=\'Jan 20 2009, 09:38 PM\']
[/quote]
No wonder my averages were off in my post. They've thrown in a lot more cars this season it seems...
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

chad1m

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »
Well, here's a list of the games that offer one prize with value announced before the game that could conceivably fall into the category of switch-prize-for-cash:

- Bonus Game
- Bullseye
- Check-Out
- Cliff Hangers
- Grocery Game
- Hi Lo
- Hole-in-One (played for a car)
- Master Key
- Now... Or Then
- Safe Crackers (main prize)
- Secret "X"
- Shell Game

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2009, 09:56:10 PM »
Since they know the IUFB is a DEFINITE giveaway, it would seem to me to help the budget by making sure it's always sponsored and, as a result, at a much reduced cost (if any). That way, the "risk" factor for non-sponsored (paid for) items drops.
I'm not sure what you mean. The fee or discount applies for the mention of the prize/manufacturer (plug) regardless of whether or not it is won.

MizzouRah!

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2009, 10:01:32 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'206698\' date=\'Jan 20 2009, 06:20 PM\']
I really don't see a problem with this. As a contestant, I'd much rather go on a game show and win something I'd be able to keep ($5,000 - $7,500 cash) than something I can't (trip, large prize) because I can't afford the taxes.
[/quote]
I 100% agree with the cash winning comment. I have a friend who appeared on many games in the early/mid 80s and he always told me when he auditioned he made sure it was for games that had cash prizes and were one on one competitions...Card Sharks, Scrabble, etc. My real issue with most PiR games going cash only would be monotony. Setting up each game as a car game would get old very fast, so cash would most likely fall into the same repetitiveness, unless they can set up different levels for quality of play, sort of like Step Up that has some gambling involved. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

chad1m

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2009, 10:07:54 PM »
I mean, if you have only so many sponsored items, why waste them on games that aren't dependent on their prices? I think they should just get the art department to make three big-ass cardboard dollar bills: $5,000, $7,500 and $10,000. When one of these games is played, open the doors and show the model holding one of those.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 10:08:33 PM by chad1m »

Vgmastr

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2009, 11:15:08 PM »
[quote name=\'chad1m\' post=\'206723\' date=\'Jan 20 2009, 08:55 PM\']
Well, here's a list of the games that offer one prize with value announced before the game that could conceivably fall into the category of switch-prize-for-cash:

- Bonus Game
- Bullseye
- Check-Out
- Cliff Hangers
- Grocery Game
- Hi Lo
- Hole-in-One (played for a car)
- Master Key
- Now... Or Then
- Safe Crackers (main prize)
- Secret "X"
- Shell Game
[/quote]

There's also Pick-A-Pair and 2 for the Price of 1.

chad1m

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2009, 11:21:22 PM »
I forgot to note that it was likely incomplete. ;)

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2009, 02:04:07 AM »
[quote name=\'golden-road\' post=\'206735\' date=\'Jan 21 2009, 01:18 AM\']
How about Spelling Bee? Simply replace CAR with WIN.[/quote]Someone who obviously didn't read the first post:
some of the small prize/grocery product pricing games which are currently played for bonus prize packages
--Mark
Phil 4:13

GS Guy

« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2009, 04:21:53 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'206724\' date=\'Jan 20 2009, 07:56 PM\']
Since they know the IUFB is a DEFINITE giveaway, it would seem to me to help the budget by making sure it's always sponsored and, as a result, at a much reduced cost (if any). That way, the "risk" factor for non-sponsored (paid for) items drops.
I'm not sure what you mean. The fee or discount applies for the mention of the prize/manufacturer (plug) regardless of whether or not it is won.
[/quote]

Sorry, I'll try and clarify. If the prize is "An HDTV. This 50" LCD HDTV delivers crystal clear sound and quality" makes no mention of a manufacturer. While the show may receive a discount from their prize supplier, it is still a almost retail purchase of the prize since there is no mention of any sponsor, whether it be the manufacturer or the supplier. However, if it says "An HDTV. The Samsung 50 inch LCD delivers crystal clear sound and quality thanks to it's 50,000:1 resolution, Digital surround sound speaker processor, and clear cabinet. It's like looking into the future. From Samsung Electronics". In this case, this TV is likely very close to free for the show, or much lower in price than the first one. My only thought along those lines is it would seem to me that if you have a 100% certainty that the prize is being given away, as in an IUFB, would you not want to utilize a prize which impacts your budget at a greatly reduced price, especially one which is said to be very over currently?