Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: More TPIR news + misc notes  (Read 4312 times)

cmjb13

More TPIR news + misc notes
« on: October 23, 2003, 07:49:34 PM »
Chuck Norris is scheduled to appear for the Birthday show. Possibly a video from Adam
Sandler and Ray Romano.

There will be a birthday show mural with a party look to it. There will be a door change.
The Happy 80th Birthday Bob art looks pretty good.

A good rotation of games have been scheduled for all 3 primetime shows. I won't spoil those.

Nothing planned yet for TPIR 6000, but they might do an all car show again.

No airdates yet for the $1M specials (except the Birthday show)

For whatever reason, it was CBS' idea to do the themed (College & Military) shows.

If somebody does win $1M, this doesn't necessarily end these specials.

No female announcers or hosts planned.

Mario Lopez stopped by the studio. Looking for a job?

New cash game coming. No details.

Rest assured, Paul Boland won't be back.

For those that care, Bob's injury over the summer that caused the cancellation of 2 tapings
was a heel injury.

Donny Osmond is not a candidate as a replacement host. Can you guess why?

As it regards to a Price CD, the feeling is there wouldn't be more than 1000 people that
would be interested in the background cues. Assuming charging $10, that's only $10,000
before paying for expenses (creating CD's, labor) and advertising (although they could
advertise it on their own show, for example when a jukebox or CD player is an IUFB)
so it's perceived as not being worth the time. Also, Fremantle doesn't want those cues
released in clean copy form for fear of them being used on other shows (Apparently
overseas shows, use some cues). But Piracy exists in most forms of music, so I can't see
why this would be a reason.

Family Feud's theme addition (Combs) had to do with timing of the Old Navy Family Fleece
commercials. When those spots ended, combined with the fact that Karn hated that theme,
caused the Louie Anderson theme to be brought back.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 08:01:03 PM »
CD's cost less than .50 to produce, so if they charged $18.98 retail, they could turn a profit even on a thousand.  Why not make a CD available (even if only retired cues; the main theme is available already) through per-inquiry on the show in the U.S. only and make some money?  Make a limited pressing of a thousand copies.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

PeterMarshallFan

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 08:13:05 PM »
Forgive me for asking, but what is the date for the birthday show?

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 08:40:13 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 23 2003, 05:01 PM\'] CD's cost less than .50 to produce, so if they charged $18.98 retail, they could turn a profit even on a thousand. [/quote]
 There is a lot more to producing a CD than simply duplicating the disc and insert...someone has to get paid to produce those.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

whewfan

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 09:10:42 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 23 2003, 06:49 PM\']

Family Feud's theme addition (Combs) had to do with timing of the Old Navy Family Fleece
commercials. When those spots ended, combined with the fact that Karn hated that theme,
caused the Louie Anderson theme to be brought back. [/quote]
 Richard Karn actually had some say over which theme to use? Interesting, considering he joked on the first show they used the classic theme music that it was "his idea"

cmjb13

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 09:35:24 PM »
Why not make a CD available (even if only retired cues; the main theme is available already) through per-inquiry on the show in the U.S. only and make some money?

Point being the theory is that there doesn't seem to be enough interest in background music. Some people who watch the show don't even know there is music.

Make a limited pressing of a thousand copies.

I had suggested creating about a dozen of them as a test as sell them at the CBS store and see how they do. The overriding factor besides costs/interest seems to be Fremantle doesn't want clean copies of these cues going around, even if they can make money on it. I don't think they have made any money on the more common cues floating around. In fact, some question how they even got out in the first place. Makes me wonder if they care so much about piracy, why they don't go after everybody. They go after some, other's they won't.
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 11:14:15 PM »
You should tell your sources that those cues were released on a 33rpm record by Score Productions for in-house use back in the seventies when Paul Talbot was still running Fremantle and "The Galloping Gourmet" was their hottest U.S. property.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

DrBear

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 11:36:34 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' date=\'Oct 23 2003, 08:10 PM\'] [quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 23 2003, 06:49 PM\']

Richard Karn actually had some say over which theme to use? Interesting, considering he joked on the first show they used the classic theme music that it was "his idea" [/quote]
 *giving the sarcasm detector a whack*
This isn't a plug, but you can ask me about my book.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2003, 10:19:33 AM »
1,000 CDs @ $20 each = $20,000 = hardly worth the bother for Fremantle, particularly if they don't want clean versions of those cues getting out.

drmusic_99

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2003, 03:59:53 PM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' date=\'Oct 23 2003, 10:14 PM\'] You should tell your sources that those cues were released on a 33rpm record by Score Productions for in-house use back in the seventies [/quote]
 I assume that was Brian Karmizad's source for the 80's Supersite? (Which would also explain where the titles came from.)

Of course, 16Kbit Realaudio files are far too poor in quality to use on the air in any fashion. But I do understand their concerns about piracy if clean, CD-quality files were released. That doesn't make me want them any less, though. :/

Skynet74

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2003, 04:14:46 PM »
Forget about Score making that record in the 70's. How about all the themes and cues people have that wern't pressed onto a record. Where did they come from? It's apparent that even the most trusted employees in a company occasionally allow this stuff out. Edd Kalehoff is the most strict there is when it comes to not releasing his work. Still shocks me to this day that I have a clean copy of Trivia Trap, Feud94 and Card Sharks in my library. Bottom line is that you can't even trust the most trusted employee.

John

JayC

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2003, 04:48:33 PM »
[quote name=\'cmjb13\' date=\'Oct 23 2003, 06:49 PM\'] Chuck Norris is scheduled to appear for the Birthday show. Possibly a video from Adam
Sandler and Ray Romano.

There will be a birthday show mural with a party look to it. There will be a door change.
The Happy 80th Birthday Bob art looks pretty good.

A good rotation of games have been scheduled for all 3 primetime shows. I won't spoil those.

Nothing planned yet for TPIR 6000, but they might do an all car show again.

No airdates yet for the $1M specials (except the Birthday show)

For whatever reason, it was CBS' idea to do the themed (College & Military) shows.

If somebody does win $1M, this doesn't necessarily end these specials.

No female announcers or hosts planned.

Mario Lopez stopped by the studio. Looking for a job?

New cash game coming. No details.

Rest assured, Paul Boland won't be back.

For those that care, Bob's injury over the summer that caused the cancellation of 2 tapings
was a heel injury.

Donny Osmond is not a candidate as a replacement host. Can you guess why?

As it regards to a Price CD, the feeling is there wouldn't be more than 1000 people that
would be interested in the background cues. Assuming charging $10, that's only $10,000
before paying for expenses (creating CD's, labor) and advertising (although they could
advertise it on their own show, for example when a jukebox or CD player is an IUFB)
so it's perceived as not being worth the time. Also, Fremantle doesn't want those cues
released in clean copy form for fear of them being used on other shows (Apparently
overseas shows, use some cues). But Piracy exists in most forms of music, so I can't see
why this would be a reason.

New Cash Game? sweet!  

Good, Paul is bad

I hope Shell Game makes the bday special

all the news sounds cool though, looking foward to all of that coming up