Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Attention Houstonians...  (Read 5844 times)

MikeK

• Martha!
Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2009, 09:45:09 AM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212841\' date=\'Apr 12 2009, 02:19 AM\']/I wanna go to one
//Seriously
///Just to see[/quote]
It's essentially a used and closeout bookstore which carries DVDs, music, software, and the occasional console video game or board game.  Sorry to dash your dreams of HPB being a retail wonderland.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2009, 03:01:56 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'212853\' date=\'Apr 12 2009, 06:45 AM\']
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212841\' date=\'Apr 12 2009, 02:19 AM\']/I wanna go to one
//Seriously
///Just to see[/quote]
It's essentially a used and closeout bookstore which carries DVDs, music, software, and the occasional console video game or board game.  Sorry to dash your dreams of HPB being a retail wonderland.
[/quote]
What Mike said. Unless by "just to see" you mean "just to see if I can get these particular DVDs for cheap", they're not even remotely exciting places. Sometimes you find a gem for a decent price. Not a GOOD price, mind you, a decent one. Indie used bookstores generally do way better, because they will call a $1 book a $1 book and not try to milk more out of it because it once had a huge cover price.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

PYLdude

• Still crazy after all these years.
Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'212853\' date=\'Apr 12 2009, 08:45 AM\']
//Seriously
///Just to see[/quote]
[/quote]

Didn't say it WAS...just like to go to these stores to see the selection and (hopefully) find something that catches my eye.
I suppose you can still learn stuff on TLC, though it would be more in the Goofus & Gallant sense, that is (don't do what these parents did)"- Travis Eberle, 2012

“We’re game show fans. ‘Weird’ comes with the territory.” - Matt Ottinger, 2022

TLEberle

• Rules Constable
Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2009, 11:42:38 PM »
[quote name=\'PYLdude\' post=\'212887\' date=\'Apr 12 2009, 12:27 PM\']Didn't say it WAS...just like to go to these stores to see the selection and (hopefully) find something that catches my eye.[/quote]That's really the attitude to have. If you go there with a checklist of books that you want to pick up, you'll go insane looking through the stacks and probably end up disappointed. But if you view the endeavor as a treasure hunt and marvel at the neat stuff that you find, it's really fun.

(I found two way long out-of-print books by Sid Sackson that probably would have cost a day's work for me, for about five bucks a throw. And I wasn't consciously looking for them.)
Travis L. Eberle

TimK2003

Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 09:11:01 AM »
While passing through Phoenix last weekend, I had hit the HPB on the east side of town (Southern Avenue?? -- I dunno, I just plugged the address into my Garmin and v'oila!) and within 2 minutes of entering the store, the employee asked what I was looking for and found it.

I picked up the Password set (I already had the Match Game -- they were sold out of it -- and Feud sets -- 2 copies on wall) but was not able to get TPIR...They said they got & had sold 2 copies earlier in the week.

All an all, it was worth the extra rush hour hassle to get there, and as far as the selection of DVD sets go, prices are hit & miss.  I saw a recent box set of 24 selling for $39.99, while a random season box set of Everybody Loves Raymond was going for $12.99.  My wife picked up a Bill Murray DVD 3 pack (Stripes/Ghostbusters/Groundhogs Day) for under $10, so there are some good deals.

Mike Tennant

Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 01:08:36 PM »
Just picked up Feud ($7.98) and Password ($9.98) just outside of Pittsburgh (Robinson/North Fayette for those of you in the area).  They had one more Password and one TPIR.  I didn't notice MG, but I wasn't really looking for it.  The ones I bought were on the regular TV-on-DVD racks.

Tim L

Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 01:40:53 PM »
Rats..No Half-Price store in Akron or Canton, Ohio..Closest ones are  4 in the Cleveland Suburbs...Think I'd like to get the Feud set..already have Password and TPIR..

bwood

Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 09:45:50 PM »
Just got back from the HPB in Columbus, OH. They didn't have Match Game, but had the rest. I picked up FF.
One odd thing I noticed about these is that even though they were new, not one of them had shrinkwrap on them...and they had a bunch of them (TPiR, FF, Pass). Did anyone else who got them at HPB notice this? Not a big deal it just struck me as odd.

I also picked up the Concentration and MG Crosswords PC Games for $6 each.

MikeK

• Martha!
Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2009, 10:11:56 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'213069\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 09:45 PM\']One odd thing I noticed about these is that even though they were new, not one of them had shrinkwrap on them...and they had a bunch of them (TPiR, FF, Pass). Did anyone else who got them at HPB notice this? Not a big deal it just struck me as odd.[/quote]
Yes, and it didn't bother me one bit.  Getting Feud for virtually new for $8 versus $20+ online made me forget about factory sealing very quickly.

JakeT

Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'213069\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 08:45 PM\']
Just got back from the HPB in Columbus, OH. They didn't have Match Game, but had the rest. I picked up FF.
One odd thing I noticed about these is that even though they were new, not one of them had shrinkwrap on them...and they had a bunch of them (TPiR, FF, Pass). Did anyone else who got them at HPB notice this? Not a big deal it just struck me as odd.
[/quote]

I find that very odd as well.  At the HPB motherstore here in Dallas, I got both the FF and Password sets at those LOW LOW LOW prices AND both still were in their original shrinkwrap.  

BTW, has anyone seen the "GAME SHOWS GONE BANANAS" DVD set at HPB?  I would imagine it would be a part of the same closeout as the other sets.

JakeT

bwood

Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 10:26:51 PM »
[quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'213075\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 10:11 PM\']
Yes, and it didn't bother me one bit.  Getting Feud for virtually new for $8 versus $20+ online made me forget about factory sealing very quickly.
[/quote]

It didn't bother me either, it just seemed odd to why they were not sealed. I wondered if it was just that store.

RyanCDN

Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2009, 02:00:19 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'213080\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 09:26 PM\'][quote name=\'MikeK\' post=\'213075\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 10:11 PM\']
Yes, and it didn't bother me one bit.  Getting Feud for virtually new for $8 versus $20+ online made me forget about factory sealing very quickly.[/quote]

It didn't bother me either, it just seemed odd to why they were not sealed. I wondered if it was just that store.
[/quote]

I know this thread is older, but what the hell.

I passed by the location in Appleton by chance, forgetting to note where it was located (Workers ar Toys'R'Us down the street were of no help to me - yes, just down the street).  Anyways, they had coppies available still, all in shrink as well.   The prices are identical to what you mentioned - PW for $9.98 and FF for $7.98.  I can't recall what the cost of Price and MG were.  The did have copies of Groucho's YBYL for $5 a shot, Volume 1 and 2.

I recall Matt postiong a note that amazon had similar items for $3 or $4 though, so you may want to check out amazon.  For the convenience, I said to heck with it.

Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2009, 02:41:21 AM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'222409\' date=\'Aug 9 2009, 11:00 PM\'](Workers ar Toys'R'Us down the street were of no help to me - yes, just down the street).[/quote]
This surprised you? Workers at Toys 'R' Us are frequently no help to anyone IN THEIR OWN STORE. :)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

ChrisLambert!

• Overthrow, Sister Havana
Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 12:23:01 PM »
If by volumes 1 & 2 of YBYL you mean the Rhino "best" and "lost" eps, then I'm heading over there. Just think, i can own them both for less than the overdue fees I paid on just one of 'em a couple years ago!

/When moving, kids, don't pack your library items
@lambertman

RyanCDN

Attention Houstonians...
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 12:45:42 PM »
[quote name=\'ChrisLambert!\' post=\'222454\' date=\'Aug 10 2009, 11:23 AM\']If by volumes 1 & 2 of YBYL you mean the Rhino "best" and "lost" eps, then I'm heading over there. Just think, i can own them both for less than the overdue fees I paid on just one of 'em a couple years ago!

/When moving, kids, don't pack your library items[/quote]

Just to clarify, they are not the lost episodes or the compilation that you referred to.   These are from Alpha Home Entertainment - oldies.com.  There are 4 eps per volume, 100 minute running time for each DVD.

This is really the first time I have ever seen this series, or watched Groucho's work.  He is quite funny, I was laughing while watching it last night.

-Ryan
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”