Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: "Price" production goes cutting edge  (Read 3117 times)

tvrandywest

"Price" production goes cutting edge
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:07:58 PM »
I heard word of this big deal from folks at TV City, but never understood wtf they were talking about. This makes it all a little clearer. Lots of techie-talk, but it sounds like this new system from Harris digitally captures iso feeds from each camera which could mark a sea change from the way the show has always been produced:"live to tape" line cut. Now, with a talented new director, the possibilities are endless.

Read it HERE

Randy
tvrandywest.com
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 01:17:44 PM by tvrandywest »
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:38:11 PM »
Wow. I'm fairly technical myself, and yet, that made my head spin.

It sounds like they not only want to go tapeless within the edit process, but also with production: It mentions that they plan on transferring the shows as files to the main on-air ops in NYC.

Videotape, as strange as this may sound, does appear to be a dying breed.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 01:44:41 PM »
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'213010\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 10:38 AM\']
It sounds like they not only want to go tapeless within the edit process, but also with production: It mentions that they plan on transferring the shows as files to the main on-air ops in NYC.[/quote]
One wonders how big those files are, and what they do about archiving. (Although I *think* an hour of hi-def video can fit onto a DVD.)
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

Robair

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 02:03:30 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'213012\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 01:44 PM\']One wonders how big those files are, and what they do about archiving. (Although I *think* an hour of hi-def video can fit onto a DVD.)
[/quote]
At NBC, they'll use that little trash-can looking thingy. Not enough room on there for a week of "Days of Our Lives" and a bootleg copy of "Wolverine".
--Robair

tpirfan28

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:15:29 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'213012\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 01:44 PM\']
(Although I *think* an hour of hi-def video can fit onto a DVD.)
[/quote]
One hour-long episode, sans commercials, clocks in at about 3.7-4.0GB, in my dealings with the video.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

NickS

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 02:21:04 PM »
[quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'213012\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 12:44 PM\']
[quote name=\'Chief-O\' post=\'213010\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 10:38 AM\']
It sounds like they not only want to go tapeless within the edit process, but also with production: It mentions that they plan on transferring the shows as files to the main on-air ops in NYC.[/quote]
One wonders how big those files are, and what they do about archiving. (Although I *think* an hour of hi-def video can fit onto a DVD.)
[/quote]

Well -- to put it this way, Chris - when we went towards HD here you're looking at a 1.35Gb file for a 10-second animation.  Now, that's at a high-quality animation output that AfterEffects gives the option for... and why the different types of compressions are brought up in the article.  Seeing that said article mentions 26Tb sounds right, as stations around the country need to start looking at Tb storage because of moving to 16:9 (and in 1080i nonetheless) output.

As more stations go to automation, the question is "How can I deliver a show tapeless?"  What CBS is doing is what other stations/groups look at doing -- finding a way of outputting a show via files that can either be put into an output server either natively (same file format) or be transcoded (one file format into another) so that it can be played back by CBS' master control.

I'd agree, Chief-O; most HD ENG cameras out there are going to card-based IT solutions.  Panasonic just brought out a mid-range camera that saves to High-Def SD Flash Cards.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 02:22:01 PM by TeppanYaki »

davemackey

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 02:22:30 PM »
I noticed that the guy who gets to use all this stuff, Price editor Gary Chamberlin, is now also an associate director. With the great new toys comes a nice promotion.

Chief-O

• .....and it goes like this!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 02:35:35 PM »
[quote name=\'davemackey\' post=\'213019\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 01:22 PM\']
I noticed that the guy who gets to use all this stuff, Price editor Gary Chamberlin, is now also an associate director. With the great new toys comes a nice promotion.
[/quote]

Which, along with this article, has me wondering if the show is indeed [as I initially suspected when I heard DiPirro's name] being put together from "iso"'s, rather than being live-cut. I'd bet the live cut is still used as a stepping stone, if this were the case.
There are three things I've learned never to discuss with people: Religion, politics, and the proper wrapping of microphone cables.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 02:55:50 PM »
Why wouldn't they stick with doing a live-to-tape cut? Post time still costs money, and having a few game show episodes under my belt I know that the best episodes are the ones which sail right through from beginning to end with no post required. The worst shoots are ones which keep your A.D. up until midnight and he comes in all crabby the next day. Once upon a time game shows were done live, remember?

This technology is great, though, if you need to cover a contestant fielding a perfect showcase bid from the audience.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 02:58:59 PM by chris319 »

NickS

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 12:08:54 AM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'213026\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 01:55 PM\']
Why wouldn't they stick with doing a live-to-tape cut? Post time still costs money, and having a few game show episodes under my belt I know that the best episodes are the ones which sail right through from beginning to end with no post required. The worst shoots are ones which keep your A.D. up until midnight and he comes in all crabby the next day. Once upon a time game shows were done live, remember?

This technology is great, though, if you need to cover a contestant fielding a perfect showcase bid from the audience.
[/quote]

My hunch, Chris, is that this is the way DiPirro is comfortable with.  I'm not debating that your way is wrong - just that he probably comes from the editing school of game shows, that's all.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:05:28 AM »
Still, do you know what it would take to cut together TPIR from ISOs? The cost would be prohibitive. The occasional pickup is one thing, but the entire show would take forever, especially when finished episodes can be delivered with a live cut at no extra cost.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 05:05:57 AM by chris319 »

DrJWJustice

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 10:42:28 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'213005\' date=\'Apr 13 2009, 01:07 PM\']
I heard word of this big deal from folks at TV City, but never understood wtf they were talking about. This makes it all a little clearer. Lots of techie-talk, but it sounds like this new system from Harris digitally captures iso feeds from each camera which could mark a sea change from the way the show has always been produced:"live to tape" line cut. Now, with a talented new director, the possibilities are endless.

Read it HERE

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]

I was wondering if TPiR was ever going to leave the 1970s completely behind.