Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Classic Concentration ownership  (Read 13178 times)

DJDustman

Classic Concentration ownership
« on: May 15, 2009, 04:53:56 PM »
Quick question for the experts. Who owns the rights to "Concentration?" Specifically "Classic Concentration." Is it NBC or Fremantle?

Thanks for the help!

tvrandywest

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 05:30:40 PM »
[quote name=\'DJDustman\' post=\'215863\' date=\'May 15 2009, 01:53 PM\']Quick question for the experts. Who owns the rights to "Concentration?" Specifically "Classic Concentration." Is it NBC or Fremantle?

Thanks for the help![/quote]

My best guess is NBC. They bought the format from Barry-Enright just befvore the scandals. Goodson produced all those decades under license from NBC. but as this is not my primary area of expertise, you might want to use a lifeline for confirmation   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
The story behind the voice you know and love... the voice of a generation of game shows: Johnny Olson!

Celebrate the centennial of the America's favorite announcer with "Johnny Olson: A Voice in Time."

Preview the book free: click "Johnny O Tribute" http://www.tvrandywest.com

tvwxman

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »
[quote name=\'tvrandywest\' post=\'215868\' date=\'May 15 2009, 05:30 PM\'][quote name=\'DJDustman\' post=\'215863\' date=\'May 15 2009, 01:53 PM\']Quick question for the experts. Who owns the rights to "Concentration?" Specifically "Classic Concentration." Is it NBC or Fremantle?

Thanks for the help![/quote]

My best guess is NBC. They bought the format from Barry-Enright just befvore the scandals. Goodson produced all those decades under license from NBC. but as this is not my primary area of expertise, you might want to use a lifeline for confirmation   ;-)

Randy
tvrandywest.com
[/quote]
I was under the impression that Fremantle had it. Didn't Grundy do the Concentration revival in Austrailia a few years ago?
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

jimlangefan

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 06:21:25 PM »
You can own the international copyright to a show and still not own the format.  Randy is correct.  NBC still holds all rights to Concentration.  When GSN has tried to get Classic Concentration, they had to go to NBC who, 'til this day, has said no.
TV's Big Dealer

chad1m

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 06:25:57 PM »
The 2007 Concentration PC game released by Freeze Tag is listed in-game as being licensed by Universal, which as we (should) know is a division of the larger NBC Universal.

chris319

• Co-Executive Producer
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 06:31:47 PM »
Didn't Jim Victory own a piece of it?

You can own the international copyright to a show and still not own the format.
I doubt that is the case. Grundy likely licenses the format from NBC.

I own the radio rights to Concentration.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 06:37:02 PM by chris319 »

calliaume

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »
[quote name=\'chris319\' post=\'215880\' date=\'May 15 2009, 05:31 PM\']Didn't Jim Victory own a piece of it?[/quote]
Per The Perfessor, just distribution, no ownership.

I own the radio rights to Concentration.
"What does the puzzle say?"
"What puzzle?"

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 09:58:09 PM »
Has GSN ever really tried to get CC?  NBC has no problems with making deals with GSN for "Twenty One," "Dog Eat Dog," "Weakest Link" "Next Action Hero" "Deal or No Deal," "1 vs. 100," etc.  Maybe GSN doesn't want Concentration.
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

Johnissoevil

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 01:33:51 AM »
[quote name=\'Jimmy Owen\' post=\'215890\' date=\'May 15 2009, 09:58 PM\']Has GSN ever really tried to get CC?  NBC has no problems with making deals with GSN for "Twenty One," "Dog Eat Dog," "Weakest Link" "Next Action Hero" "Deal or No Deal," "1 vs. 100," etc.  Maybe GSN doesn't want Concentration.[/quote]

On the Wikipedia page for Concentration, under "Episode status," it is said that GSN did try to get the episodes, but NBC wouldn't go through with the deal for undisclosed reasons.  I had put one of those "Citation needed" links next to the statement, but someone quickly removed it.
In loving memory of my father, Curtis Fenner 4/29/44-8/13/15

Chelsea Thrasher

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 03:28:59 AM »
I'd say the truth is probably in there somewhere, it's just changed a bit over time. More than likely, GSN pursued it in the network's early years, but NBC would have none of it. At this point, when GSN can't even be bothered to hold on to Card Sharks any more, I doubt it's high on their list of acquisition priorities.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 03:29:30 AM by Seth Thrasher »

bwood

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 11:57:48 AM »
When GSN first started in 94' the show was off of NBC like, what, a year (although in reruns)? Maybe NBC initially thought they were going to do something else with the show eventually  (new syndie revival, rerun again in the future, etc) and they wanted to hold onto the reruns. Personally, today (after not being shown for over 15 years), I think if GSN would show interest, NBC might come off of them now. What good is a 20 year old show doing sitting on the shelf? If I was running a network and someone would want to buy rerun rights to a show that has been dormant for years, I would look at that as a source of income and say take what you want, especially in this economy.

geno57

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 12:46:41 PM »
I don't care so much about C.C., but I'd give my Right Guard to see some regular episodes of the Downs/Clayton run.  (I do have the few Tournament of Champions kines that are on the circuit.)

snowpeck

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 07:13:51 PM »
Do we know how much NBC has of the original run in their vaults? Or the Narz run for that matter.  That's the one I'm dying to see more of.

Greg
Co-owner, The Daytime TV Schedule Archive
My website: http://www.gregbrobeck.net
My board game collection: http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/snowpeck (recently passed the 100 mark!)

Ian Wallis

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2009, 11:58:45 AM »
Or the Narz run for that matter. That's the one I'm dying to see more of.

Agreed on that.  The Narz version was seen at 1 PM in my area when it debuted in '73.  Every day I could always watch the first half of the show at lunch before I had to head off back to school.  It was a childhood favorite - and at least they SHOWED the board!
For more information about Game Shows and TV Guide Magazine, click here:
https://gamesandclassictv.neocities.org/
NEW LOCATION!!!

ChuckNet

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 02:51:19 AM »
I agree w/both Greg and Ian...the Narz version seems to be seriously under-represented in the trading circuit, and having only caught 2 complete eps (that 1974 ep @ the Paley Center, and the possible 1978 finale that's been floating around for ages), would def love to see more of it...glad Edd Kalehoff's oh-so-Moogy music package is making the rounds, though!

Chuck Donegan (The Grateful "Chuckie Baby")