Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NEW PYRAMID CASTING.  (Read 63843 times)

Clay Zambo

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #150 on: June 18, 2009, 09:07:40 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218322\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 03:59 AM\']Regarding the "trilons": Could it be possible that they are actually monitors made to simulate the physical trilon movement?[/quote]

Yes, it COULD be that they are monitors, but they are not.

I was sitting front row in the upstage left bleachers; during breaks after WC play I could clearly see stagehands resetting the slides for an upcoming round.  Same with the small pyramid.  Slides.
czambo@mac.com

bwood

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #151 on: June 18, 2009, 10:23:29 AM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218322\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 03:59 AM\']Regarding the "trilons": Could it be possible that they are actually monitors made to simulate the physical trilon movement? Like the Family Feud "survey board" shown in the Game Show Marathon. Something about the "lighting" on them doesn't look authentic. Not complaining, just musing.

I know the creator was working on a Pyramid sim before GSM requested his services.[/quote]

Adding to above...in some of the pics you can clearly see the trilons partly turned and the gaps between them. I think the lighting issue is just the angle of the pics. I bet it will look different on TV. That, and also since it's a pilot it was probably a "hurry up and do it" type job with the lights inside and they may fix it if/when it goes to series.

BillCullen1

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #152 on: June 18, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
So Dean Cain will host on June 19. That explains why they cancelled the taping on June 17, which I went to the Kaufman Astoria studios for. The set looks fantastic, a throwback to the 80s Pyramid. I really do hope CBS picks this up. You know who I think would make a good Pyramid host - Pat Kiernan. He has a low-key quality but keeps things in control, which is what you need for a Pyramid host, and he's worked for Michael Davies before, with World Series of Pop Culture and Grand Slam.

RyanCDN

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #153 on: June 18, 2009, 11:36:46 AM »
[quote name=\'bwood\' post=\'218330\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 09:23 AM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218322\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 03:59 AM\']Regarding the "trilons": Could it be possible that they are actually monitors made to simulate the physical trilon movement? Like the Family Feud "survey board" shown in the Game Show Marathon. Something about the "lighting" on them doesn't look authentic. Not complaining, just musing.

I know the creator was working on a Pyramid sim before GSM requested his services.[/quote]

Adding to above...in some of the pics you can clearly see the trilons partly turned and the gaps between them. I think the lighting issue is just the angle of the pics. I bet it will look different on TV. That, and also since it's a pilot it was probably a "hurry up and do it" type job with the lights inside and they may fix it if/when it goes to series.
[/quote]

I think this picture here clearly shows that they are not monitors.  I agree with Joe's point about the lighting, but you can see the backdrop in this image through the partially turned trilon.  In addition, looking at the top one, you can see how it is protruded out from the board.   I could easily see why monitors may be used, but if they are going to keep trilons, it is once again a great throwback to the Clark days.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

RyanCDN

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #154 on: June 18, 2009, 11:38:58 AM »
As a side point - I know this is in the pilot stage, but all things considered, that is a pretty decent set.  If it gets picked up, I can see where they would make come improvements, but this is a job well done.
Ryan
“I’ll give away a Zed.”

tpirfan28

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #155 on: June 18, 2009, 12:22:55 PM »
[quote name=\'BillCullen1\' post=\'218334\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 11:23 AM\']You know who I think would make a good Pyramid host - Pat Kiernan. He has a low-key quality but keeps things in control, which is what you need for a Pyramid host, and he's worked for Michael Davies before, with World Series of Pop Culture and Grand Slam.[/quote]
Quoted for truth.
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

JasonA1

• Executive Producer
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #156 on: June 18, 2009, 12:57:33 PM »
Pat's a good choice. Off the board, I've heard suggestions for Bob Goen, which is a great choice too. Both are in that Dick Clark mold of letting the game shine, but not being total robots who couldn't inject some personality if needed. Plus, Bob's a familiar enough face to work on the "have to have a name" level. At least in my opinion.

-Jason
Game Show Forum Muckety-Muck

CarShark

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #157 on: June 18, 2009, 01:22:14 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218323\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 04:03 AM\']This isn't the "CarShark Cries Abused Victim Every Time Someone Disagrees With Him Forum" either.[/quote]
Gimme a break, Joe. I don't do this all the time, but I am going to defend myself when one of the resident cyberbullies decides to attack me. Lemon obviously didn't want to move the conversation forward. He just wanted to make a joke at someone else's expense. Again. The fact that I'm seemingly the only one who doesn't just roll over and take it makes me a bit of a lightning rod.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 01:30:33 PM by CarShark »

BrandonFG

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #158 on: June 18, 2009, 02:33:16 PM »
[quote name=\'JasonA1\' post=\'218344\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 12:57 PM\']Pat's a good choice. Off the board, I've heard suggestions for Bob Goen, which is a great choice too. Both are in that Dick Clark mold of letting the game shine, but not being total robots who couldn't inject some personality if needed. Plus, Bob's a familiar enough face to work on the "have to have a name" level. At least in my opinion.[/quote]
Both are good choices. I'm surprised Pat hasn't been tapped for one of the pilots, given that he did actually host an Embassy Row game for two seasons, compared to Tim's Chain Reaction pilot (not slighting Tim).

Speaking of CR, they should get Dylan Lane in there too...

/I keed.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

GSFan

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #159 on: June 18, 2009, 03:07:26 PM »
[quote name=\'RyanCDN\' post=\'218336\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 11:38 AM\']As a side point - I know this is in the pilot stage, but all things considered, that is a pretty decent set.  If it gets picked up, I can see where they would make come improvements, but this is a job well done.[/quote]

I agree; it's reminiscent of the original Pyramid designs.  The one thing I would "tweak", and I sincerely hope it happens.  Put the audience back in its proper place, off camera.  Seeing an audience situated around the set is a bit of a distraction for me.  I want to connect with the players, and their game.  In some of the pictures, the stage looked so narrow, it appeared that Pyramid is being staged on bowling alley.  That's not a complaint.  Pyramid is hopefully, well on its way back to the airwaves.  That is something!

I have a question for anyone who was there at the taping.  Is it a "cold" opening?  Is there a little spiel; a "Keep your eye..." maybe?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 03:09:31 PM by GSFan »
March 26, 2023 - 50 years of Pyramid!

J.R.

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #160 on: June 18, 2009, 03:50:42 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'218327\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 08:07 AM\']Yes, it COULD be that they are monitors, but they are not.

I was sitting front row in the upstage left bleachers; during breaks after WC play I could clearly see stagehands resetting the slides for an upcoming round.  Same with the small pyramid.  Slides.[/quote]
Aha, thanks. :)
-Joe Raygor

BrandonFG

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #161 on: June 18, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »
[quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218362\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 03:50 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'218327\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 08:07 AM\']Yes, it COULD be that they are monitors, but they are not.

I was sitting front row in the upstage left bleachers; during breaks after WC play I could clearly see stagehands resetting the slides for an upcoming round.  Same with the small pyramid.  Slides.[/quote]
[/quote]
Looking at one of the WC photos, if you look at the corners of the slides, they appear dimmer than the rest of the slide. That made me believe they were backlit.
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

Clay Zambo

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #162 on: June 18, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »
[quote name=\'fostergray82\' post=\'218363\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 04:03 PM\'][quote name=\'J.R.\' post=\'218362\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 03:50 PM\'][quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'218327\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 08:07 AM\']Yes, it COULD be that they are monitors, but they are not.

[/quote]
Looking at one of the WC photos, if you look at the corners of the slides, they appear dimmer than the rest of the slide. That made me believe they were backlit.
[/quote]

They are backlit.  But--didn't I post about this yesterday?--the lightboxes are quite even.  It's the slides themselves that are *shaded* to look dimmer in the corners.  Seemed a nice retro touch to me.
czambo@mac.com

Clay Zambo

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #163 on: June 18, 2009, 04:20:27 PM »
Anybody going to Friday's taping?  (Aside from me, that is.)
czambo@mac.com

MST

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #164 on: June 18, 2009, 04:25:40 PM »
[quote name=\'Clay Zambo\' post=\'218366\' date=\'Jun 18 2009, 04:20 PM\']Anybody going to Friday's taping?  (Aside from me, that is.)[/quote]

I'll be along, and $20 richer! Thanks, Craigslist!