Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: NEW PYRAMID CASTING.  (Read 63827 times)

Offshored2007

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #240 on: July 05, 2009, 12:16:21 PM »
[quote name=\'aaron sica\' post=\'219409\' date=\'Jul 3 2009, 05:03 PM\'][quote name=\'clemon79\' post=\'219396\' date=\'Jul 3 2009, 04:24 PM\'][quote name=\'TimK2003\' post=\'219390\' date=\'Jul 3 2009, 01:07 PM\']If our station moves Y&R to the old Guiding Light slot at 2PM,[/quote]
...they'd be high as a friggin' kite, considering that Y&R is WAAAAAY more of an anchor show than GL ever was.
[/quote]

Absolutely. There are only a handful of stations I know of that don't run Y&R at its designated time for that time zone..It's been at 12:30 (EST) for nearly 30 years for a reason......
[/quote]
WRAL, Raleigh NC, has been one of them since the mid 1990s.  They show an hour of news at noon.  This of
course, is the same station that has pre-empted CBS and/or replaced syndicated programming in the past during the day for "Andy Griffith" reruns.

No word from WUSA yet.

Unrealtor

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #241 on: July 05, 2009, 12:31:43 PM »
I'd think that swapping Y&R and GL's timeslots might actually work pretty well in Central Time, where you'd end up with Price at 10, Pyramid/LMAD/DG from 11-12, and local news or syndie programming at noon.

KEYE here in Austin has Meredith Millionaire instead of news at noon, so it would lead to quite a nice game show block there.
"It's for £50,000. If you want to, you may remove your trousers."

NickS

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #242 on: July 05, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »
[quote name=\'Unrealtor\' post=\'219516\' date=\'Jul 5 2009, 11:31 AM\']I'd think that swapping Y&R and GL's timeslots might actually work pretty well in Central Time, where you'd end up with Price at 10, Pyramid/LMAD/DG from 11-12, and local news or syndie programming at noon.

KEYE here in Austin has Meredith Millionaire instead of news at noon, so it would lead to quite a nice game show block there.[/quote]

I'm surprised that nobody here's mentioned what a station has to go through if they move a show that's been watched at the same time daily all of a sudden for a game show.

As much as it would be cool that you'd have a game show block, realistically - not going to happen that Y&R's going to move for game shows.

tpirfan28

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #243 on: July 05, 2009, 03:33:08 PM »
It will be interesting here what happens...my affiliate is one that airs GL at 9AM, followed by the Bonnie Hunt show, then Price.  I don't know how well Bonnie's ratings have been...I think GL's been the sacrificial lamb to Regis and Kelly for quite a while now, so I don't know what would happen.

/Who am I kidding?  They're probably gonna pick up Dr. Oz for the Oprah trifecta and bump the games altogether. Never mind.  Picked up by the black hole of suck of my FOX affiliate.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 03:34:32 PM by tpirfan28 »
When you're at the grocery game and you hear the beep, think of all the fun you could have at "Crazy Rachel's Checkout Counter!"

Don Howard

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #244 on: July 05, 2009, 05:39:04 PM »
[quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'219519\' date=\'Jul 5 2009, 03:23 PM\']I'm surprised that nobody here's mentioned what a station has to go through if they move a show that's been watched at the same time daily all of a sudden for a game show.[/quote]
Because we were waiting for you to bring it up. And it took you an awfully long time to do so, I will tell you.
So since you've broached it, man In The Biz, alleviate the anxiety and tell all.

Offshored2007

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #245 on: July 07, 2009, 12:53:48 PM »
WUSA: "We will air whatever CBS replacement programming for Guiding Light at 10am"  Better than not at all!

SteveR

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #246 on: July 07, 2009, 04:54:47 PM »
[quote name=\'Offshored2007\' post=\'219659\' date=\'Jul 7 2009, 12:53 PM\']WUSA: "We will air whatever CBS replacement programming for Guiding Light at 10am"  Better than not at all![/quote]
Best answer possible! YAY!

NickS

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #247 on: July 07, 2009, 05:43:54 PM »
[quote name=\'Don Howard\' post=\'219522\' date=\'Jul 5 2009, 04:39 PM\'][quote name=\'TeppanYaki\' post=\'219519\' date=\'Jul 5 2009, 03:23 PM\']I'm surprised that nobody here's mentioned what a station has to go through if they move a show that's been watched at the same time daily all of a sudden for a game show.[/quote]
Because we were waiting for you to bring it up. And it took you an awfully long time to do so, I will tell you.
So since you've broached it, man In The Biz, alleviate the anxiety and tell all.
[/quote]

A) You were waiting with bells on.  Or was that a girl named Belle?

B) I think it was like nine days, according to one board member.

C) The minor things you're looking at is promotion over and over again that there's going to be a time change.  However, from the time that you mention that Days of our Lives is going to move a half-hour earlier, chances are you're going to get inundated with phone calls that this was the worst decision in the world - why is this happening, etc.  Wait x amount of years, change it again, lather, rinse, repeat.

I'm just trying to show a different perspective of what happens when either an affiliate makes a daytime slot change or the network does it for them (see: Michael Jackson funeral coverage Tuesday and CBS).

colonial

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #248 on: July 08, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »
Interesting news out of Atlanta regarding fall shows, according to the AJC...

http://blogs.ajc.com/radio-tv-talk/2009/07...z-joining-wxia/

Although not specifically mentioned, it appears that WGCL will air whatever replaces Guiding Light at 3p this fall.  GL currently holds the slot.

As far as the future of WWTBAM and DOND in Atlanta go, that remains up in the air.  Year-old reruns of WWTBAM still air at 12:30p on WXIA (NBC/Gannett), so I could see the channel move the new episodes to that slot (WXIA currently airs the news at noon).  DOND lost both its slots -- 4:30p on WXIA (to Ellen) and 6:30p on WATL (MyNet/Gannett -- to Dr. Oz) --  I could see a DoND block in the afternoons on WATL if the network stops triple-running (!) the "Bad Boy Crew" (Jerry and Maury).

Peachtree TV (Indy/Time Warner -- former Atlanta home for SuperStation TBS) could also be an option for both shows.  

7:30p on WXIA is likely not an option (that's slot is now open with "The Insider" moving to WGCL), as WATL airs WOF/J! in the 7p hour.

JD

Matt Ottinger

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #249 on: July 08, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'219756\' date=\'Jul 8 2009, 12:18 PM\']Peachtree TV (Indy/Time Warner -- former Atlanta home for SuperStation TBS) could also be an option for both shows.[/quote]
This is way off-topic, but I need a native to explain something to me.  I was in Tennessee visiting family last weekend, and being Braves fans, they watch the games on Peachtree TV.  During Peachtree coverage, there are -- strangely -- no commercials.  The announcers throw to what ought to be the regular break between innings, at which point we're treated to a mostly silent wide shot of the field.  What's the deal with that?
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

colonial

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #250 on: July 08, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'219758\' date=\'Jul 8 2009, 12:43 PM\'][quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'219756\' date=\'Jul 8 2009, 12:18 PM\']Peachtree TV (Indy/Time Warner -- former Atlanta home for SuperStation TBS) could also be an option for both shows.[/quote]
This is way off-topic, but I need a native to explain something to me.  I was in Tennessee visiting family last weekend, and being Braves fans, they watch the games on Peachtree TV.  During Peachtree coverage, there are -- strangely -- no commercials.  The announcers throw to what ought to be the regular break between innings, at which point we're treated to a mostly silent wide shot of the field.  What's the deal with that?
[/quote]

Since I'm a local, I'll try to help... :)

Did your family watch the game on DirecTV or Dish?  Some satellite TV fan Web sites mentioned last season that they've seen Peachtree TV-broadcast games commercial-free through MLB Extra Innings or a local sports package.  It's possible DirecTV was connected to a field broadcast of the game, not the direct Peachtree TV broadcast (I've seen DirecTV do that before with NFL exhibition games, with the announcers talking about very strange things during commercial breaks).

JD
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 01:03:59 PM by colonial »

Matt Ottinger

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #251 on: July 08, 2009, 03:40:18 PM »
[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'219760\' date=\'Jul 8 2009, 01:03 PM\']It's possible DirecTV was connected to a field broadcast of the game, not the direct Peachtree TV broadcast[/quote]
For whatever reason, that appears to be the case.  It's DirecTV all right, but nothing fancy like the Extra Innings package.  They watch on the regular slot assigned to Peachtree TV.  They tell me it's been like that all season.

[quote name=\'colonial\' post=\'219760\' date=\'Jul 8 2009, 01:03 PM\'](I've seen DirecTV do that before with NFL exhibition games, with the announcers talking about very strange things during commercial breaks).[/quote]
THAT I would pay extra for!
This has been another installment of Matt Ottinger's Masters of the Obvious.
Stay tuned for all the obsessive-compulsive fun of Words Have Meanings.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #252 on: July 08, 2009, 03:47:19 PM »
[quote name=\'Matt Ottinger\' post=\'219779\' date=\'Jul 8 2009, 12:40 PM\']For whatever reason, that appears to be the case.  It's DirecTV all right, but nothing fancy like the Extra Innings package.  They watch on the regular slot assigned to Peachtree TV.  They tell me it's been like that all season.[/quote]
According to the Wiki article, there's a goofy thing where Canada was getting the WTBS feed instead of the national TBS one, and a lot of cable outlets still do that after the switch to Peachtree because they would have to get separate clearance to switch to the national TBS feed. So I wonder if this has anything to do with why DirecTV would be carrying the satellite backhaul of the game instead of the intended-for-air version.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

jalman

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #253 on: July 08, 2009, 03:57:39 PM »
Interesting; Mediacom here in south GA also broadcasts the same formatted Braves Peachtree TV games.

chad1m

NEW PYRAMID CASTING.
« Reply #254 on: July 21, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
Hallelujah.

I sent them something but I don't know if they'll take me, I don't know what their eligibility requirements are. But if anyone does hear positively back from them, be sure to let us know!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:20:26 PM by chad1m »