Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Family Feud news for the new season  (Read 56344 times)

cmjb13

Family Feud news for the new season
« Reply #150 on: June 08, 2009, 01:24:31 PM »
[quote name=\'MSTieScott\' post=\'217507\' date=\'Jun 8 2009, 12:39 PM\']Unless I miss my guess, is that bright sea-greenish light near the top of the first cove (and nearly cut off of the top of the picture of the second cove) the device that rear-projects the family name onto the screen? Pretty cool that it doesn't look like a big, bulky projector.[/quote]
Not sure about that one, but here's the projector for the main board (taken 2005)
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:25:01 PM by cmjb13 »
Enjoy lots and lots of backstage TPIR photos and other fun stuff here. And yes, I did park in Syd Vinnedge's parking spot at CBS

BrandonFG

« Reply #151 on: June 08, 2009, 10:21:40 PM »
New tweet:
WOW more high drama at the taping today! One family won 4 games in a row...then lost the 5th. Almost needed to bring Lee Iacocca in for CPR

The PR campaign via Twitter is a great idea, but uh, you'd like to save some of the surprises until September, y'know.

/Oh and lol!!1! :D
"They're both Norman Jewison movies, Troy, but we did think of one Jew more famous than Tevye."

Now celebrating his 22nd season on GSF!

CJBojangles

« Reply #152 on: June 15, 2009, 08:59:22 PM »
Just returned from my visit to the Feud. Here are some of the changes for the new season.

FORMAT:
Intro
Bullseye
Meet the Families
Round 1 (Single)
- Commercial -
Round 2 (Double)
- Commercial -
Round 3 (Triple)
(Sudden Death, if needed)
- Commercial -
Fast Money
End credits

What's the Same

The set is completely identical, with the exception of a big-ass Chrysler 300 sitting behind the audience. You know where the little children were playing basketball last season during the NBA intros? Yeah, that's all filled with car.

They're still using that same horrid 30-second loop of the Combs theme for every piece of music. Faceoffs, bumpers, intro, and end credits. Oh, and the rhythmic clapping? Conducted by Burton off-stage. "Just look back at me if you get lost in the beat and don't have another black guy near you to help you stay on track."

What's New

The Bullseye Round
As I'd like to refer to it, "Speed Bullseye". After John's intro, he immediately announces it's time for the Bullseye round to build the family banks. The set turns red, the family captains head for the podium, and a giant bullseye is projected onto the big board. John says "Let's put $15,000 in each family's bank." There is silence, then applause. "$1,000" appears in a white, black-outlined and shadowed font on top of the Bullseye on the board. As John reads the first question from his cards (adorned with Bullseyes, no less) suspenseful music plays. This music continues through the entire round. There are no "clangs" or "bells" this time. Just what I can only describe as a "whoosh", then a "thud" as the Bullseye answer is revealed. Standard "strike" sound applies for an incorrect guess. Immediately after the answer is revealed, the players run back and switch places with the next two family members in line. The board then displays $2,000. Lather, rinse, repeat, all the way through $5,000. The whole round lasts maybe 2 minutes, max. On the show I attended, only the $1,000 question was answered correctly, resulting in one $15,000 bank, and one $16,000 bank. After the final question, the suspenseful music ends, the set changes back to its normal colors, and John announces the family totals. Then it's time to meet the families, and after a brief introduction, Round 1 starts with single values.

The Set
The large projection screens that hide the intro furniture and display the family names during gameplay were not lowered at all. I'm not sure if they're even still there. Instead, the furniture stayed as the backdrop the entire game. The family podia still have the same stupid eggcrates in them, and they're still only used to show the main game scores. That's right - Not only are the family names nowhere in sight on the set, neither are the Bullseye bank totals. This means that one if not both of those are either displayed by on-screen graphics, or are just not displayed for the home audience at all. If on-screen graphics are used, I wouldn't know it, because there are no studio monitors in audience view. At least, from where I was sitting, to the left of the "catwalk". The only monitors located behind the audience are a projection screen on either side, and one small boob tube in the center, at the end of the "catwalk". And they all display the big board graphics throughout the show.

Fast Money
They're back to the pre-Celeb FF Fast Money Graphics, with the flying red squares as opposed to the "balls of light". Fast Money consolation is still $5/point. There's a small red display off to the right side of the stage, just to the left of the large piece of set that houses the family on the right, that tells John how many points from 200 the family still needs, and the consolation amount, if needed. Every other piece of information relayed to John throughout the show is done the old-fashioned posterboard and sharpie method.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 09:29:59 PM by CJBojangles »

SRIV94

• From the Rock of Chicago, almost live...
« Reply #153 on: June 15, 2009, 09:11:49 PM »
[quote name=\'Ian Wallis\' post=\'217154\' date=\'Jun 2 2009, 04:23 PM\']
Wasn't looking at it so much from the nostalgia standpoint--I just prefer the way the Ferranti displays look compared to the Eggcrates.

Put me down for a couple of eggs...er...eggcrates.  After seeing them on game shows practically my whole life, I'd miss them if they weren't there![/quote]
You do realize I'm talking about the display on Dawson/Combs FEUD?  Still a 5x7 dot matrix, just a different "font" (for lack of a better term).
Doug
----------------------------------------
"When you see the crawl at the end of the show you will see a group of talented people who will all be moving over to other shows...the cameramen aren't are on that list, but they're not talented people."  John Davidson, TIME MACHINE (4/26/85)

Jeremy Nelson

« Reply #154 on: June 16, 2009, 12:03:37 AM »
[quote name=\'CJBojangles\' post=\'218109\' date=\'Jun 15 2009, 07:59 PM\']The Set
The large projection screens that hide the intro furniture and display the family names during gameplay were not lowered at all. I'm not sure if they're even still there. Instead, the furniture stayed as the backdrop the entire game. The family podia still have the same stupid eggcrates in them, and they're still only used to show the main game scores. That's right - Not only are the family names nowhere in sight on the set, neither are the Bullseye bank totals. This means that one if not both of those are either displayed by on-screen graphics, or are just not displayed for the home audience at all. If on-screen graphics are used, I wouldn't know it, because there are no studio monitors in audience view. At least, from where I was sitting, to the left of the "catwalk". The only monitors located behind the audience are a projection screen on either side, and one small boob tube in the center, at the end of the "catwalk". And they all display the big board graphics throughout the show.[/quote]
On Celebrity Family Feud, I remember them using a long lit set of LCDs for the family names, and just dimmed the lights on the "living rooms". Why didn't they just use that? It could have doubled as a bank score readout during the Bullseye Round.

Small Unnecessary Changes Kill (a show).

/I didn't notice till later that the above mentioned made an acronym.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 12:04:18 AM by rollercoaster87 »
Fact To Make You Feel Old: Just about every contestant who appears in a Price is Right Teen Week episode from here on out has only known a world where Drew Carey has been the host.

Craig Karlberg

« Reply #155 on: June 16, 2009, 04:15:49 AM »
Well, the Bullseye suggestions I posed earlier were INDEED true.  Now if only we can figure out which family's playing for what amount during the Bullseye round, it'd be easier to follow along.

"sigh" Still $5/point?  That's just not gonna cut it in this economy.  Oh well.

Single/Double/Tripe(SD*) is fine by me if that's how they'll work around the new Bullseye round.

The thought of the set turning red in the Bullseye format will take some getting use to.  Reminds me of what a photo developing room looks like.

*If necessary
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:16:40 AM by Craig Karlberg »

Dbacksfan12

• Just leave the set; that’d be terrific.
« Reply #156 on: June 16, 2009, 04:40:22 AM »
[quote name=\'Craig Karlberg\' post=\'218138\' date=\'Jun 16 2009, 03:15 AM\']Well, the Bullseye suggestions I posed earlier were INDEED true.  Now if only we can figure out which family's playing for what amount during the Bullseye round, it'd be easier to follow along.[/quote]Oh, cripes.

"sigh" Still $5/point?  That's just not gonna cut it in this economy.  Oh well.
You can't be serious.  Wait, you are.
Single/Double/Tripe(SD*) is fine by me if that's how they'll work around the new Bullseye round.
Glad to see they meet your approval.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 04:45:58 AM by Modor »
--Mark
Phil 4:13

whewfan

« Reply #157 on: June 16, 2009, 05:29:25 AM »
Is it possible that the family names and amount at stake are now digitally placed?

CJ Bojangles: With the new Bullseye format and 3 rounds, does Feud now seem VERY rushed?

I remember that being the downfall of Combs' Family Feud. Ray seemed to REALLY rush through the last couple rounds. I am also wondering if they now enforce the "I'm only going to read this question once" in the final round. They did so throughout most of the run, except on the O'Hurley version. We'll have to see if what you saw is what we see on TV, and how much is edited out. If you watch the early 300 point format episodes with Richard Karn, you can notice a LOT of edits. They obviously realized that with the game having 3 strikes in every round, plus one additional fast round for a sudden death, they didn't have the extra time.

CJBojangles

« Reply #158 on: June 16, 2009, 01:39:54 PM »
[quote name=\'whewfan\' post=\'218142\' date=\'Jun 16 2009, 02:29 AM\']CJ Bojangles: With the new Bullseye format and 3 rounds, does Feud now seem VERY rushed?[/quote]
The show didn't seem any more rushed than it is now. The only part that was really done at breakneck speed was the Bullseye game.

Interestingly, after the first segment, a crew member told John "We're a minute long." To which John sarcastically responded, "Oh. We're a minute long. That's a shame." Those would be the last words he would speak while the cameras weren't on until "Thanks for coming, folks" upon his exit after the show. Total opposite of Bob Barker or Drew Carey during a TPiR taping, where there's chat and banter with the audience during commercial breaks. Instead, Burton ran out to cheerlead during every break while John stood there, in a foot-tapping sort of manner.

After they revealed the first answer of the second question, "Name an ice cream topping that a couple might use in the bedroom", or something similar, the stage manager ran onto the stage, announced that there was a "problem with that question" and they started over with John calling for the next family members for the faceoff, with a new question following.

They're still using the same stupid blue board graphics complete with "clang/whoosh" sound effect as well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 01:40:09 PM by CJBojangles »

whewfan

« Reply #159 on: June 16, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »
Interesting... perhaps they felt that the question was too racy or something?

Whipped cream would be an obvious response... what else...

Cherries
Hot fudge

They probably could've reworded the question to "name a topping put on ice cream" and the context would still be the same.

1984Gameshowsfan

« Reply #160 on: June 16, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
I actually don't mind a few spoilers; I have a volunteering job Monday-Thursdays during the time that FF is on in Seattle(9:30 AM, unless they change it; with TP:AP probably being canceled that's possible), so I don't really mind too many.

tvwxman

« Reply #161 on: June 16, 2009, 03:47:11 PM »
Here's a new tweet : and a link ....it's definitely different....but just don't know what's the point of it all....

Family_Feud:  We are having some fun introducing the families!!...check it out http://bit.ly/mWtlG
-------------

Matt

- "May all of your consequences be happy ones!"

urbanpreppie05

« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2009, 04:19:40 PM »
I suppose I don't mind that, but...

Do the rooms get used at all then? (CjBojangles?)
insert signature here

Sodboy13

« Reply #163 on: June 16, 2009, 04:23:52 PM »
"Show me 'crushed nuts'!"

/clang
//ow
"Speed: it made Sandra Bullock a household name, and costs me over ten thousand a week."

--Shawn Micallef, Talkin' 'bout Your Generation

CJBojangles

« Reply #164 on: June 16, 2009, 04:26:43 PM »
[quote name=\'urbanpreppie05\' post=\'218169\' date=\'Jun 16 2009, 01:19 PM\']I suppose I don't mind that, but...

Do the rooms get used at all then? (CjBojangles?)[/quote]

Only during the intros, for the families to "pose" with.